• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR Question- Non-Warfare Qualified Unrestricted Line (URL) Officers

pascol1

I recently nonattained as a SWO and was put in the IRR because of the high attrition rate. I called the recruiter up in Millington and was informed that the chances of me getting put into SELRES are very slim because of my designator.
Is it worth staying in the Navy?
Will I promote to O-4 as an 1105 and finish my 20 years to retire?
Or will O-3 be the highest rank that I will ever make as an 1105?
Does anyone suggest jumping ship to try another branch if I would like to still make a difference in the world?
I understand that my chances of becoming an officer in another branch is very limited since I did not get the pin and received below average remarks on my fitreps.
Has anyone ever heard of officers resigning their commission to enlist and become an officer again?
I am trying to explore my options and see if I can salvage any of my military career. I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

azguy

None
What rank are you now? What is your designator? 1160 or 1105?

I doubt you will even make LT, let alone O-4, as a non-attain 1160.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Well I think if you want a chance to move up, switching services might be the right thing. Maybe you'll mesh better in Big Green or Baby Blue.

What that route is... I have no real idea other than maybe to talk to a recruiter in those services? If you chose to enlist you might want to watch age limits for OCS, etc.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have known a few flight school attrites that have had successful careers in the reserves, as a JG you should be able to switch to another career field if able in the reserves. Other than the person at Millington, have you talked to a reserve recruiter?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A lot depends on your fitreps. You can join the AUSN http://www.ausn.org/ and ask them to do a record review. http://www.ausn.org/Membership/RecordReview/tabid/77/Default.aspx If you record is ok, stay USNR, get all of the schools you can https://www.usnwc.edu/ as well as volunteering for some mobs - reinvent yourself.

If your paperwork looks terminal, switch services. You might have a better chance starting with a clean slate in the Army Reserves (or National Guard) or Air Force Reserve (or Air Guard).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honestly, with bad paper and a non-attainment on you, I think your chances of redesignating, active or reserves, are poor. Anything can happen - hell, that Tomcat guy who shot down an F-4 became an intel reservist and was selected for Flag before that caught up with him. But there are a lot of people fighting for those spots now who don't have stink on them.

Your best shot if you want to remain in uniform is probably with another service. CGR if you want to continue to drive boats, maybe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your fitreps may be a problem. If they are bad, as you say, and you didn't qualify, that will tell volumes to any Navy recruiter or Board looking at you for selres or change of designator. Another service might be a way for a clean break. Argue that you consider it a better fit and besides, they probably won't fully understand our coded fitrep language. They likely won't understand the consequences of not getting a SWO pin either. If you are going to consider another service you might want to start with the Guard. They sometimes have hard fills since their pool of candidates is realistically restricted to commuters within the state (except for aviators that can fly in for little to no expense).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I recently nonattained as a SWO and was put in the IRR because of the high attrition rate. I called the recruiter up in Millington and was informed that the chances of me getting put into SELRES are very slim because of my designator.
Is it worth staying in the Navy?
Will I promote to O-4 as an 1105 and finish my 20 years to retire?
Or will O-3 be the highest rank that I will ever make as an 1105?
Does anyone suggest jumping ship to try another branch if I would like to still make a difference in the world?
I understand that my chances of becoming an officer in another branch is very limited since I did not get the pin and received below average remarks on my fitreps.
Has anyone ever heard of officers resigning their commission to enlist and become an officer again?
I am trying to explore my options and see if I can salvage any of my military career. I would appreciate any advice and guidance.

Take a look at CANVASSER (Hometown) Recruiting. It's a way to get back into active duty (temporarily) and re designate to HR or other reserve designators. Google the Canvasser Recruiting instruction and contact your closest NRD to learn more. NRDs in the past have taken Fleet Support/1105 and General Aviation/1305.