• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR Courses in a CAC only world...

Sam, VXC -

1) Thanks so much for the IRR gouge. I've been doing DAU / DAWIA courses for the last 2 years. Very tedious, but at least you don't need CAC access. I HAVE STUDY GUIDES / GOUGE posted on Google Docs for the DAU courses. I can share them with anyone who is interested - just PM me.

2) I've been faxing and phoning in to BUPERS to get my point count each year. Is there any way to get a hardcopy/CD-R copy of ARPR/ASOSH now?

3) I did Air Force (Air Command and Staff College) Off-line (CD-R) JPME I about 6 years ago. All self-paced and minimal online connectivity required (but you DO have to drive in to a base and go to an authorized base library to be 'proctored' and take the module tests). I received a whopping 28 points for all JPME I using the Air Commmand and Staff College courses.

4) I will sign up for a NETC account and look at MarineNet account. Any courses that are highly recommended?

Gub--thanks for the input! As far as I can tell, we IRR-fold cannot get anything like the ARPR/ASOSH. You can order a points capture sheet, but it's not as detailed (I'll go back and look, but I think it's just overall points). I've ordered my record online recently too, and it does NOT have anything like that. I think S&^%-out-of-luck there.

28 points for the whole thing?? I'm not sure why the Navy JPME 1 has such a bad wrap--I think it's a better deal in many ways, and if you're IRR it's nice that you can milk three good years of 48pts/per from the three modules.

I actually think the marinenet courses tend to be really well done. The problem is that many of them require a proctor. It's probably worth trying to get an account and grabbing the easy ones (sorry, I don't remember off the top of my head which those are) before they go away.

Good luck!

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone else having trouble with the NETC Professional Development Site?

subreservist

Decided to continue to post this info here, as I posted about it a few months back...

Just completed the 2 week operational support course for Strategy & War at Newport. As it was my first time to Newport, that in itself was pretty cool! As vxc has spoke on, the focus is on Sun Tzu and Clausewitz, in addition, Mahan and Corbett also come into play. There were 4 cases covered in 2 weeks, supported by lectures and seminars (the cases: Masters of War (Claus & Tzu), American Rev, Pacific War, and Vietnam). Some pre-work with an initial essay to submit prior to arrival and 2 (6 page) essays during the 2 weeks.

It was a great experience with a mix of Navy, Airforce, Coast Guard and Marines (there was 1 Army guy in the class, too). You get access to NWC resources and its good to actually interact with the professors and staff directly. and they give you plenty of books, both to your home and at the first day of class to keep your company! They even take and provide you a class photo at the end! You also get your completion cert at checkout certifying your full completion for the module.

I plan on coming back in December for JMO, if selected!

Decided to continue to post this info here, as I posted about it a few months back...

Just completed the 2 week operational support course for Strategy & War at Newport. As it was my first time to Newport, that in itself was pretty cool! As vxc has spoke on, the focus is on Sun Tzu and Clausewitz, in addition, Mahan and Corbett also come into play. There were 4 cases covered in 2 weeks, supported by lectures and seminars (the cases: Masters of War (Claus & Tzu), American Rev, Pacific War, and Vietnam). Some pre-work with an initial essay to submit prior to arrival and 2 (6 page) essays during the 2 weeks.

It was a great experience with a mix of Navy, Airforce, Coast Guard and Marines (there was 1 Army guy in the class, too). You get access to NWC resources and its good to actually interact with the professors and staff directly. and they give you plenty of books, both to your home and at the first day of class to keep your company! They even take and provide you a class photo at the end! You also get your completion cert at checkout certifying your full completion for the module.

I plan on coming back in December for JMO, if selected!
Nice! Let us know how the JMO session is! It sounds like you did the right way (better than weeks of online stuff at least!). Congratulations!

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Okay...just heard through my personal network that NETC courses are back on the approved list...anyone else hearing this?

snake020

Contributor
Has anyone submitted any NRTC certificates for points since the new policy? My first IRR anniversary is coming up in April and I'm hoping I'm not wasting time with courses that aren't approved under the new scheme.

Has anyone submitted any NRTC certificates for points since the new policy? My first IRR anniversary is coming up in April and I'm hoping I'm not wasting time with courses that aren't approved under the new scheme.
I brought up the same issues in another thread .... ive submitted certificates multiple times but havent had any change on my BOL ARPR/ASOSH listing since August. I'm not sure what exactly is going on with that, but sometimes Pers 912 is slow. I would recommend resubmitting with an explanatory cover letter by mail with delivery confirmation. Good luck!

Also, on the NTRC webpage, there is a page that shows both the course enrollment date as well as the completion date. For courses that you enrolled in before August {when the msg came out}, you can probably argue for inclusion as grandfathering, IMHO.

Again, good luck!

gaj29

I am awaiting my commissioning docs after selection as an 1835 and would like to get ahead of the game by doing many of these non-CAC required courses. My question is this, can I START the courses and then finish them on a non-drill non-ADT/ADSW, etc. type period once i'm in the SELRES to get additional points for the year? The key is being that I don't complete them until finally commissioning and simultaneously submit them while not on a drill weekend. Thanks.

I am awaiting my commissioning docs after selection as an 1835 and would like to get ahead of the game by doing many of these non-CAC required courses. My question is this, can I START the courses and then finish them on a non-drill non-ADT/ADSW, etc. type period once i'm in the SELRES to get additional points for the year? The key is being that I don't complete them until finally commissioning and simultaneously submit them while not on a drill weekend. Thanks.
Yes. If you're in a unit that doesn't anything (I have been), you can do the courses, then just wait until the Monday after drill to take the test or sometimes just complete the survey. Don't spend too much time worrying about it though--I think I figured 1pt will be worth about $0.50/mo when I retire. I did it more as a subtle form of rebellion against "the man".

m5h9

These courses are not required, but can increase your points as described by VXC. My 2 cents, I would enjoy yourself and your personal time prior to your commissioning date. Afterwards, your unit and or command will make it clear which courses you need. Most of these are easy NKO CAC courses.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Thought I would update on this thread.
1) NETC Courses are back on the approved list and there are quite a few more of them available now. However, you will only get 75% of the point value advertised on the NETC Site. However, again, the courses are designator specific except for the course with no designators assigned...anyone can take those
2) Complete JMO via War College on line. It's a grind and expect to have to perform at a graduate level. But the points are great ROI and the material is infact very interesting.
3) JKO courses. Do not overlook these courses as an option. You will need to have a sponsor with a .mil or .gov email address to get your account set up, but once you do there are A LOT of options for pts. A lot of time required. Be prepared to work. I took French for 20 pts...it was a BEAR of a course. Started Spanish...don't know if I have it in me to finish. There are a lot of other courses there to take. Capitalize on the opportunity.
4) FEMA courses...not a big deal...sign up and take the courses.

I'll be starting my 2nd NWC JPME module this fall.

Keep at it folks, you can do it. None of the options I spoke of above require a CAC card.