• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR Courses in a CAC only world...

Nice Subres! I didn't know that.

J. Bourne, nobody can say for certain what will happen on the board, but you're doing all the right things. Definitely write a letter to the board explaining what you said here, and if possible get a letter of rec from the CO who told that to you. The boards go through iterations, basically voting in those who will definitely make it and those who definitely won't... the middle, like 80% they "crunch" again with the same process. In my experience (junior, assistant recorder years ago), the biggest things for the board are (a) how you rate against your peers, and (b) how you rate against the CO's average. Comments in the fitrep saying things "I'd give him an EP, but I had to give that to my XO" went a long way as well. So, a letter to the board explaining what you said here (in PC terms--don't bash the Navy) goes a long way, both in explaining the not-stellar marks, and showing that you're interested in continuing your career. Oh, and for some reason the officer photo is a big deal too, so make sure that's updated. Lots of laughs at people who took them in whites, cammies, SDB's, had incorrect ribbons, etc...

snake020

Contributor
What's the best way to check my record to make sure my last FITREP and decoration got in there while I'm in IRR now that I don't have BOL access?

I also tried signing up for Marinenet and received this E-mail:

Good Morning,
We are unable to re-activate your MarineNet account at this time.DMDC does not show you are in a qualifying status. In order to have your account re-activated you will need to have a sponsor contact CDET Student Support. Sponsors must be either GS-12 and above or O-4 and above. They will need to either call us at 1-888-435-8762 (opt#2) or email us atCDET.Student_Support@usmc.mil. Please have them provide your MarineNet username, their name, unit, GS rating/Rank, and contact information.

I *think* you need to call that number. With both CNET and Marinenet I think I had to call and explain I was in the IRR. Then, you have to log in every 30 days or they lock you out. I set a reminder on my phone to log in every two weeks just to be safe. If I can sponsor you, let me know.

As far as checking your record, call PERS. you'll wait on hold, you'll get a 10 min spiel advising you they're about to ask for your ssn, then you'll get a YN3 who either is or isn't interested in helping you out (I'd say my luck has been just over 50%).

subreservist

Well, I got selected to the NWC 2 week S&W course; I think they selected everyone that applied - 36 total names (1 Capt, 9 Cdr, 22 LCDRs, 3 LTs, 1 Maj). Looking forward to Newport, as I have never been. I still think airforce JPME is the way to go, but with the Navy allowing us to do this on ADT, I can't complain too much. The tricky part for me is to stagger completing these classes, so that only 1 set of 48pts is allocated toward my anniversary year. Since I'm already drilling, you approach 130 pts too quick (i.e. leave points on the table) if you apply more than 1 course in a good year. But I really don't want to stretch it to 2-3 years either from when I start in September. I wonder if the NWC will disenroll you for stretching too long? Or if there was a way of completing the courses, but submitting them for points on a later date of my choosing? If I did that, would the points go on my current good year (although the completion date fell in my previous year) or would they open up my previous year when the date fell and add them to that past years points (and max me out)? If that makes any sense...lol?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think it's possible to "post-date" points. If the system is working correctly, your ADT will automatically get applied to your ASOSH profile (or whatever the actual back-end system is that manages points). If the system doesn't work correctly and you need to add points that were missed, it's for a specific AY with the associated paperwork (IDT sheets, orders, etc) from that specific time as proof.

But I don't know that I've ever seen someone try to post-date points, so who knows. I have a feeling the little old lady in white tennis shoes won't go for it, though.

subreservist

I don't think it's possible to "post-date" points. If the system is working correctly, your ADT will automatically get applied to your ASOSH profile (or whatever the actual back-end system is that manages points).

It's not the ADT part that I'm concerned with, as that goes towards active duty points and does not impact on the 130 inactive points we can get. It's the 48 pts you get for completion of the courses that I would like to stagger out. The certificates have to be forwarded for manual entry; I'm just not sure if there is a relationship between the completion date of the course (which is most likely annotated on the cert) and the system entry date.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of the limit. So is that 130 IRR points vice 365 for SELRES? I haven't had a reason to know that stuff, so interested to learn that side, too.

subreservist

130 is the current inactive points max a reservist can acquire within their anniversary year (SELRES/IRR/VTU-applies to all reserve mbrs...but, of course for FTS it's a moot point, since they are "active" reservists). Inact
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of the limit. So is that 130 IRR points vice 365 for SELRES? I haven't had a reason to know that stuff, so interested to learn that side, too.

The 130 points is the max for inactive any reserve mbr can obtain (includes SELRES, IRR, and VTU). Obviously, inactive points is a moot point for FTS, since they are "active" reserve. Inactive includes drilling, courses, gratuity pts...this sums it up pretty good...
Maximum Points Allowed Per Year
There are four dates to keep in mind regarding the maximum inactive (non active duty) points allowed per retirement year.
Effective Date Maximum Points Allowed
30 October 2007 to present 130
30 October 2000 90
23 September 1996 75
Prior to 23 September 1996 60
Currently, Soldiers are allowed a maximum of 130 points per year for IDT, extension courses, and membership points. Soldiers will be given credit for all Active Duty (AD), Active Duty Training (ADT), and Annual Training (AT) - including Funeral Honors Duty if performed in an active duty status -- beyond the maximum allowable limit for any given retirement point year up to 365 or 366 (Leap Year) days.

subreservist

Found this little nugget on points FAQ while playing on BUPERS:

"12. Can I earn points for completing courses while on active duty/AT/ADT/ADSW etc?

No other participation can be earned while on active service. BUPERSINST 1001.39 and DODI 1215.7 are specific in stating such. So please keep in mind while performing active service, do not complete a correspondence course to earn additional points. No points will be credited for courses completed while on active service."

Applying this to my question and assuming that JPME is treated as a "correspondence course", I am guessing I wouldn't get the points for S&W for the course (you get 100% completion for completing the 2 week course) beyond the 12 pts I get for each day of being on ADT. I will still send in the cert and let someone else make that call. I have a feeling this really only applies to NKO/NETC type courses, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

This won't apply for the other 2 week courses, because they are for 50% (TSDM) and 30% (JMO) and, therefore, they would not be completed while on active duty.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The 130 points is the max for inactive any reserve mbr can obtain (includes SELRES, IRR, and VTU). Obviously, inactive points is a moot point for FTS, since they are "active" reserve. Inactive includes drilling, courses, gratuity pts...this sums it up pretty good...
Maximum Points Allowed Per Year
There are four dates to keep in mind regarding the maximum inactive (non active duty) points allowed per retirement year.
Effective Date Maximum Points Allowed
30 October 2007 to present 130
30 October 2000 90
23 September 1996 75
Prior to 23 September 1996 60
Currently, Soldiers are allowed a maximum of 130 points per year for IDT, extension courses, and membership points. Soldiers will be given credit for all Active Duty (AD), Active Duty Training (ADT), and Annual Training (AT) - including Funeral Honors Duty if performed in an active duty status -- beyond the maximum allowable limit for any given retirement point year up to 365 or 366 (Leap Year) days.

I see my confusion now. You were just talking drill points vice combined drill and active points. However...this has me scratching my head. Under current policy, an aviator can earn up to 84 additional drills on top of their entitled 48. That comes out to 132 drills/points. I wonder which hand isn't talking to the other.

subreservist

I see my confusion now. You were just talking drill points vice combined drill and active points. However...this has me scratching my head. Under current policy, an aviator can earn up to 84 additional drills on top of their entitled 48. That comes out to 132 drills/points. I wonder which hand isn't talking to the other.

I'm not aware of aviator policy, but based on your statement, I think you just work within the rules given. The max inactive points is 130; the minimum required for SELRES to complete DWE's is 40 (you are allowed to miss out on 8 points, i.e. 4 full drill days)...so, you don't have to complete 48; you just can't be paid for more than that. You actually can drill as much as you can get approval for, but they wouldn't be paid (goes toward retirement only).

So, that goes back to my comment of leaving points on the table...you can drill, do as many courses as you want, perform additional aviator drills, etc...no one will stop you...you just won't get credit past 130 inactive points in that anniversary year. In your scenario, if my intentions were to perform 84 additional aviator drills, I would scale my DWE's to 46 (i.e. skip half a drill day), to ensure I didn't exceed 130, knowing I wouldn't get credit. It's all about recognizing what each pot is worth(i.e. the aviator add'l pot worth up to 84 or JPME pot worth 48 per course); the reserve mbr has to ensure to not go over the overall limit.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Defense Acquisition University courses are also available without a CAC. (learn.dau.mil) For me, they give the best return-on-investment for my time, but I've done Acq stuff for 10 years and I'm familiar with the concepts and can breeze through them.

If there is interest, I'll post more information about signing up either here or in the Correspondence Course Review thread. http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/correspondence-course-review.37833/

J.Bourne

Just got off the phone with Pers-912 lead clerk. He notes that on 1 Oct, they are reducing the number of courses to earn retirement pts from the 1000s we currently can choose from to only 600 courses. Hopefully the list will be presented soon.

GubMints

Sam, VXC -

1) Thanks so much for the IRR gouge. I've been doing DAU / DAWIA courses for the last 2 years. Very tedious, but at least you don't need CAC access. I HAVE STUDY GUIDES / GOUGE posted on Google Docs for the DAU courses. I can share them with anyone who is interested - just PM me.

2) I've been faxing and phoning in to BUPERS to get my point count each year. Is there any way to get a hardcopy/CD-R copy of ARPR/ASOSH now?

3) I did Air Force (Air Command and Staff College) Off-line (CD-R) JPME I about 6 years ago. All self-paced and minimal online connectivity required (but you DO have to drive in to a base and go to an authorized base library to be 'proctored' and take the module tests). I received a whopping 28 points for all JPME I using the Air Commmand and Staff College courses.

4) I will sign up for a NETC account and look at MarineNet account. Any courses that are highly recommended?

GubMints

Ok disregard #4. I just read the IRR Correspondence Course Kaibosh message dated 191101Z AUG 14.

I will bang out as many DAU courses as I can before the door slams shut on 01 October.