• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

iPads

bcal

For current military pilots or those in flight school, what kind iPad are y’all using? I’m looking at updating my older iPad mini with the latest model but was deciding between the 64gb or 200+gb but didn’t want to spend extra money for the more gb one if the 64gb was enough.

Thanks

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For current military pilots or those in flight school, what kind iPad are y’all using? I’m looking at updating my older iPad mini with the latest model but was deciding between the 64gb or 200+gb but didn’t want to spend extra money for the more gb one if the 64gb was enough.

Thanks
Current iPad Mini is being procured by AF units with cell/gps. Pivot case.

croakerfish

pilot

Thanks
I’m using a 64 gb iPad mini 4 for Foreflight. I’ve uninstalled every other app possible to keep the speed up but it is starting to slow down a little. It’s perfectly usable though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While not a Mini, I have an older (2017) iPad 64GB model and it has had plenty of room on it. I've loaded all the IFR and VFR pubs from FL to CA on it and still had plenty of room. Just make sure you turn off the "Hi resolution base map" in the download options.

Our secondary iPad at work is the latest version of a Mini and it seems to be fine. I end up using the 10" version (our primary) because it has the sim card in it and it sits in my lap easier without a strap. If you have a strap, the Mini is a good form factor.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

Thanks
Just as a heads up for when you get to the fleet: if you end up in an F-35 or any of the F-18 T/M/S, you likely won't be able to use your personal device in the aircraft. There are probably other platforms with similar restrictions.

That being said, the one I bought seven years ago to use as an FRS instructor is now my general aviation tablet and although slow, it's still kicking.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
"Simulate, Simulated, Simulate... Your iPad just died." It'll probably happen on final. Lol.
Can confirm it did "happen" on final for the three/four flights leading up to the instrument check. For any studs on this thread, the iPads are great for visualizing your flight plan while studying and briefing it in the spaces. And then flexing and doing it again when weather or your IP's whims don't cooperate. In the aircraft they were cool during instruments too, but you have to carry backup pubs with you anyway per the SOP so its really dealer's choice. And yes ownship on foreflight has to be turned off for all events.