• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

iPads

Amac3191

pilot
just giving anyone headed to advanced a heads up but iPads are now authorized for use by helicopter advanced students. I've had one for a while and have all the pubs (NATOPS, FTIs, RWOP,ect.) we need plus foreflight. You can read the specifics off of the TW5 website but definitely something I recommend.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have found tablet/iPad use in the cockpit takes practice, practice, practice -first in locating the information you need quickly and efficiently, and secondly managing the device so it is charged when you need it, doesn't try to update your Minecraft app when you are trying to solve a critical problem , etc. Technology is awesome - I just know you can't just load up a bunch of pubs and apps then take away the paper without carefully training with ad rehearsing the use of the docs and apps to get your mission accomplished.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is interesting (emphasis mine)...

All....Instructor Pilots...are authorized to use personal electronic tablets as an EKB while airborne.

A couple of weeks ago, I specifically asked PMA-281 what, if any, policy there was about using personal EKBs in the aircraft (because using an issued one is incredibly convoluted and pretty much impossible to do right now). They came back with a policy statement that basically said they didn't recommend it, but didn't actually say you couldn't use a personal one.

Looks like Meat read it the same way and made the call. Good for him.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Pretty sure the NAVAIR flight clearance says "airplane mode only" but I imagine that is roundly ignored. Helo types probably actually can get reception most of the time too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty sure the NAVAIR flight clearance says "airplane mode only" but I imagine that is roundly ignored. Helo types probably actually can get reception most of the time too.

It does, and other than the device meeting the various IA restrictions, as long as the device is on their list, they say it's good, they just don't specify who is supposed to own the device. Naturally when you ask the question, it quickly becomes NAVAIR complicated.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
iPad mini is my first choice for in-cockpit use. iPad Mini 2 with 64 GB can be had for $300 or so and is a great buy. I've also seen the iPhone 6 Plus with ForeFlight and its very usable as a primary. Get yourself a few stylus/ball point pen combos and a decent supplemental 2500 ma battery and that would be ideal.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Honestly its pointless to have an iPad in the cockpit. I mean you are graded on CRM and during an approach you brief the approach and then you task the IP to give you step downs, etc while you execute the approach. I think its more beneficial to do it old school while in training. You'll still have to use approach plates for the lovely 3 hour INAV exam.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Well according to the FAR/AIM you only have to have them off/airplane mode during IFR flights if it disrupts the comm/nav equipment...helos win again (to drunk to look at the verbatim)

Last edited:

JFShampy

pilot
I haven't flown with an instructor in Maritime advanced (VT-35) that has allowed me to use the iPad in the cockpit yet. Most say that on a cross country an instructor may let you try it out.

Many of the instructors I've flown with use some sort of tablet in the cockpit... But as a student I understand why I wouldn't be allowed to.

One instructor did have an external GPS for weather and ADS-B and I thought it was great for SA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't flown with an instructor in Maritime advanced (VT-35) that has allowed me to use the iPad in the cockpit yet. Most say that on a cross country an instructor may let you try it out.

Many of the instructors I've flown with use some sort of tablet in the cockpit... But as a student I understand why I wouldn't be allowed to.

One instructor did have an external GPS for weather and ADS-B and I thought it was great for SA.
IMHO, giving a new stud the ability to use a tablet is a freaking horrible idea. Learn first how to orient yourself the old-fashioned way. Then when you've proven you can't get lost, you get to use the Gucci stuff. I didn't get to use GPS/INS waypoints on a low-level on either of my trips through flight school right away. Rightfully so. Should be the same with tablets. If I were king, I'd say you're allowed to use them in the brief only until you've passed some checkpoint in the syllabus such as an instrument check or the old VT-86 COMP-5X checkride.

As much as the harassment package sucked, parts of it made you a better aviator. That said, the rest is just harassment, and F any instructor who doesn't know the difference.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What about Use of Stratus for GPS and Wx?

That requires WiFi in the cockpit, which would be a no go, per NAVAIR rules. I'm not saying I agree with it, but technically you have to play by the rules. At least according to the letter of the law, you can still legally use a personal tablet, although NAVAIR doesn't like to endorse that.

JFShampy

pilot
IMHO, giving a new stud the ability to use a tablet is a freaking horrible idea. Learn first how to orient yourself the old-fashioned way. Then when you've proven you can't get lost, you get to use the Gucci stuff. I didn't get to use GPS/INS waypoints on a low-level on either of my trips through flight school right away. Rightfully so. Should be the same with tablets. If I were king, I'd say you're allowed to use them in the brief only until you've passed some checkpoint in the syllabus such as an instrument check or the old VT-86 COMP-5X checkride.

As much as the harassment package sucked, parts of it made you a better aviator. That said, the rest is just harassment, and F any instructor who doesn't know the difference.

UPDATE: Just winged!!! On my cross country I was allowed to use my IPad heavily after demonstrating to my instructor where I was on the paper chart. It's a great tool!