• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IOC between TBS and API

Status
Not open for further replies.

mottoalex

I have heard several times that it is possible to goto IOC and other schools (ie. Comm.) while waiting to be picked up for API. If so, how it this usually done? Do you talk to your SPC at TBS or is there another way? Also, if this is possible are they looking for Lt's that score well at TBS or what?

Espy

Tahoe

Okay,

You're going to have to throw me a bone here, all these acronyms are throwing me off! What are these various things you are talking of??

-Dave

mottoalex

Sorry about that. Got a little carried away.
IOC- Infantry Officer Course
Comm.- Communications
API - API
SPC - Student Platoon Commander
TBS - The Basic School

The time between graduation from TBS and getting picked up with a API class is usually between 6 to 8 months for Marines. I am not intrested in wasting my time sitting on my butt in Pcola when I can learn more about the USMC and its various jobs (HOO-RAH 0300). Frumby said he did this and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it. If so, how to do it.

Espy
USMCR
Cpl.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Cpl. Espy,

It is good to see that you want to follow the Marine tradition of being as lethal on the ground as in the air. Send me an Email with more specifics and I will give you the gouge I have been able to obtain. BTW, do you know what the green fees are for that golf course by OCS? You know, that one we were eyeing on the bus ride in. A wise Marine once told me that golf was an integral part of TBS weekend training!

Semper Fidelis

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Motivate me! Between TBS and AI (now called API) I went to IOC. Unfortunately, I broke my wrist during class. I was really sweating if I was going to have to get a pin put in and the headaches it would cause with my flight physical. I did, however, while my bones mended, went to Comm school and got a Comm MOS (I was dropped from IOC due to injury). You can get work "stashed" orders while you await flight school. I recommend the CH-53D squadron in Hawaii or VMFAT-101 in Miramar. You need to call these squadrons and talked to the XO to request you from the monitor. Anything beats working in Mike company painting Ammo cans on the Land Nav course. Good luck. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

mottoalex

Thanks Sir...A couple more questions if I may.
I have heard that it is possible to get dropped from the aviation program if a injury occurs at IOC. You didn't have this problem, but have you heard of other officers getting dropped?
Also, did you get screwed on picking up for API because of the injury.
Additionally, I have also heard that officers in the aviation program that get selected for IOC out of TBS are really squared away (300 PFT etc.). Is this true? and how competitative are the avaition slot officers with the ground officers at TBS?
Another thing I've heard is that your class standing out of TBS can dictate promotions in the fleet. Is this true?

avaitorshade: I don't know about the green fees, and its too bad the sgt. inst. didn't know either, however maybe this time we take our clubs the bus will stop at the course.

Espy
USMCR
Cpl.

Edited by - mottoalex on 10/12/2001 06:38:07

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Espy:Thats right, hopefully we won't have to do the parade deck run with our clubs strapped to our backs again... maybe this time when we ask the Plt Sgt. where the first tee is, he will be more cordial in his response!
P.S. Only 27 days left before the Marine Corps birthday!!

Semper Fidelis

Cpl. Miles

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well Cpl Espy,
I would like to think that I was squared away but I was selected because I voluntered. They took two aviators from each platoon to fill the IOC class. My TBS grades did allow me to beat out another pilot wannabe from my platoon to IOC. Aviators aren't even considered in the MOS rankings. They may score higher then the ground officers but their MOS is already established so they do not effect the competition between the grunts. I always suggest that you do the best you can while at TBS because your ranking does not affect your promotion status,only your date of rank decides your promotion. The only one who makes out is the number 1 grad and if he has a reserve commission, he will be augmented into the regular Marine Corps. I hope that helps. By the way, I've never run a 300 PFT in my life. A 292 perhaps but just can't seem to break the 18 minute mark. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Magnum,
Who are we talking about? Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

magnum

My ex girlfriend whom is a flight attendant with the airline now, served with your crew some months back-she based out of phoenix and I believe she also knows your friend RON(last name not known)who flew in the NAVY(I had the opportunity to speak with him briefly-really nice guy.) But she mentioned the name FRUMBY-Marine Corps aviator as a pilot she flew with(also quite the gentleman) Not to give full names but her name was A. Mares

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, I know most FA's by first name only but there is only one person that I know who also knows FATS (Ron). Please tell her that I said "Hi!" Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.