• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer for U-2

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wonder if they have to get into that full astronaut rig every time they go flying (training and post-mx and whatnot), or just for mission hops.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Pretty sure there's a former Cobra dude flying U-2s and I'd love to hear his story of how he ended up there. I'd imagine he probably had some VT or VMR stank on his resume.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure there's a former Cobra dude flying U-2s and I'd love to hear his story of how he ended up there. I'd imagine he probably had some VT or VMR stank on his resume.

We had a U-2 pilot as a member there for a while and he mentioned they had a few guys from the Navy and Marines come from T-34's.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Air Force doesn't place as much stock in the "you have to have mission experience" thing as the Navy does. Their attitude seems to be as long as you're a good dude and trainable, they can teach you to do the mission. When I interviewed to be an RC-26 CSO, and asked if being an E-2 guy was a problem, they just shrugged and said "you know how to be a sensor operator; we can teach you to use other sensors."

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
but I don't see the AF trying to poach Navy or Marine guys for fighters or RPA (which also have significant manning problems).

As far as the VMU community goes, we're losing about 50% of our Lts to the ANG. A couple of them went active duty AF, but the ANG is giving these guys as much AD time as they want, and 45 day LRE deployments if they want them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the VMU community goes, we're losing about 50% of our Lts to the ANG. A couple of them went active duty AF, but the ANG is giving these guys as much AD time as they want, and 45 day LRE deployments if they want them.

Yeah again - that's the Guard. I'm interested in what the Active AF is doing. The ANG will grab anyone who looks promising.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Wonder if they have to get into that full astronaut rig every time they go flying (training and post-mx and whatnot), or just for mission hops.

You don't have to wear the suit for low (pattern-only) flights. Post-mx FCFs always go high, so those are in the suit.

HuggyU2

None
U2 guys still deployed a ton?
Only for the last 50+ years.
However, for the last 25 years, everyone else has deployed a lot too, and so no big deal. Very rare to get a short deployment notice.
BTW... the U-2 squadron deployed to the Middle East in 1990 when Saddam invaded... and they haven't left.

I was visiting the squadron a week ago (I work part time there as a contractor), and saw some IST applications floating around. For more info, Call Maj Shontz at DSN 368-4447. He's the 1 RS Director of Recruiting & Acceptance.

HuggyU2

None
I was in the squadron Monday, and there are a few IST applications from Navy folks being looked at. Without boring you with the details, it appears the AF Personnel Center finally was able to open up the opportunities for IST's to the U-2 to start up again. It was a long, painful process... but at least it is "back on" again. That said, I personally expect the selection criteria to be much more stringent for IST applications than it was before.

electric_warrior

pilot
I was in the squadron Monday, and there are a few IST applications from Navy folks being looked at. Without boring you with the details, it appears the AF Personnel Center finally was able to open up the opportunities for IST's to the U-2 to start up again. It was a long, painful process... but at least it is "back on" again. That said, I personally expect the selection criteria to be much more stringent for IST applications than it was before.

I would think/hope with the supposed Air Force "pilot shortage", AFPC would be more accommodating for IST selection? My understanding was that as long as you passed the interview at Beale, AFPC would usually grant the IST. Is that no longer the case?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Oh if I only had multi-engine time.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Is FOSx2 a big problem for transfer to ANG or AF Reserve flying or RPA gigs? I assume it is on a case by case / unit by unit basis, and the RPA folks will take anyone who applies that wears wings.