• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intermediate training???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

What about intermediate?

Over at the MIT ROTC they say that intermediate is a 6-9 week stage before you go to your category: jets, props, etc... To me this sounds like intermediate is one big generic stage that everybody goes through just like API or Prim'.

I had thought that you went to your category at the appropriate base, then you received your intermediate training, which was catered around your category. Hence: intermediate jets, intermediate props etc...

I'm confused, is intermediate general or specialized? Which is it, anybody...

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 22 June 2000

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

After selection, everyone branches off, the Jet guys leave to go to Meridian or Kingsville, which just leaves the Props/Helo guys behind to finish Intermediate at our respective squadron (VT2/3/6/27/28). As for 6-9 weeks to complete, it only took me 3 and a half weeks to complete. One week of ground school for more instrument procedures, another week of simulator runs, and then you are back in the plane.

I knocked out all my Xs in one cross country run over a four day period, left on Friday, got back on Monday. Doing 3 or 2 hops a day. Needless to say the cross country was one of my absolute highlights of training. When I got back, I still had to knock out 4 visual navigation (VNAV) flights, and then I was done with Intermediate.

As to whether or not it is generalized, welllll... they just went on to teach us the localizer approach (and oh fun, backcourse), along with more in depth knowledge of IFR procedures. Now in Advanced (almost done with ground school, oh joy CPTs next week!) they have picked up where Intermediate left off, and learning ADF, NDB, coupled approaches, etc... so it should be fun. Since the majority of the training for me in Advanced will be under IFR conditions (with only one engine, thought the plane had two!).

Hope that answers your question.

Dave Shutter

Gerber Gouge gives me a little insight into what jet interm' is like, helo is world all it's own, but do E-2/C-2 and P-3 share the same interm' and advanced before the RAG, I would think so. I would also think the same aplied to E-6 and the DC-9 guys???

Thanx for any info...

D

Dave Shutter

Matt: I have some questions about the jet pipeline if you don't mind...

Have they, or when will they, go to an all T-45 training system and approx. how long is it?

Do they use a NSS system in jets and what are the different grade requirements for each jet, if any? Besides "needs of the Navy" what determines who gets what jet?

When do you do your FCLP's and carrier quals?

What RAG are you hoping for?

In strike training, is your instruction just an intro to ACM and mud moving or do they really get you into it? I would think they would want to, the next time you'll be doing it it'll be in a jet that costs four time as as much and goes twice as fast!

Luv any info, thanx for your time and best of luck!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.