• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting potential problem I may have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Ok, I've been wondering about this for some time now. I know a lot of you on here, and pilots I've spoken with in person have said that ROTC through college is a very good way to get into Naval Aviation. BUT, what do you do if the university you're going to only has Air Force ROTC? Then what? I don't really want to go into the Air Force... I don't have anything against it, other than the fact my goal is to fly Navy. So far I'm the only pilot my age (18) who doesn't have any physical problems that wouldn't let me fly a jet right now. I've got 20/20 vision and all that.

Anyway, any advice or insite on this situation would be GREATLY appriciated!

God bless!

Agent00JP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you are in flight school and are passing the 20/40 standards it is your score in primary that dictates whether you get jets, not your eyesight.

More on the topic, I had the same problem. Clemson only has AF and Army ROTC, but I wanted to fly Navy. I even took a semester of Aerospace Sciences. Well, to make a long story short, there are two graduates from the AFROTC program going to AF flight school, and at least one non-ROTC graduate going to Navy flight school. The situation at Clemson is so that the AF Colonel's recommendation on you basically determines whether you get your first choice for career (and remember you have no choice once you accept $$ from them, you are committed and have to serve in the career they determine). I preferred to fly Navy and keep the leverage that I had in being able to apply elsewhere for a flight position rather than end up one of the 5-10 former pilot wannabees that end up as navigators, or something like supply officer. In summary, I don't know if NROTC is more conducive to getting a pilot slot, but don't accept a penny from the AF, bc your odds of flying are not good unless you consider yourelf lucky and good at political networking.

BTW, both of the AFROTC guys are AF pilots' sons.

If the reading thing scares you, just read less. You can get an A in every college course not taken at an Ivy league school by only reading half of what is assigned.

JP

Edited by - agent00jp on 05/09/2002 09:33:53

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Speaking of reading worsening eye sight, this piece of garbage monitor I'm looking at right now (Ya gotta love high school equipment) is so far outta wack, everyy letter is fuzzy. Ugh, I already almost have a headache from this thing! lol

Anyway, thank you for the advice guys. I'll look more into the OCS and BDCP as I don't think there is another college around for like 150 miles. :)

The idea of me still not getting what I want to fly still has me a bit worried. I still know I'd absolutly love whatever I may get... but there's still going to be that part of me that wants the jets. But then again, its that risk that makes the challange so much fun and makes you probably perform even better.

Thanks again!

Shepherd

Every AF Cadet that I have ever heard of that got pilot from Louisiana Tech University had a lot of flight hours. In fact, I had a friend who was told not to even try for pilot w/o at least his private licence. The Navy seems to give folks like me (no flight time) a better chance than the AFROTC. Of course, that's just my opinion. I don't know about that eye deterioration - I read a ton and stare at a computer a lot (CIS major) and I still have 20/20 vision. Besides, I'd rather go blind reading and be intelligent than have perfect vision and be feebleminded.

A posteriori

Status
Not open for further replies.