• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel Officers Boston

sdgigles

Since I got non-select in June, I'm trying to beef up my application. Does anyone know of any Intel officers in the New England Area, either current or retired, who may be willing to help out?

Many thanks

sdgigles

Looking to get an officer interview, one of my LOR's was from a professor who was SWO O-6 and Academy instructor. He said he never heard of an interview that was different than an LOR though. Thanks

dephyler

Contributor
The War College is in Newport. That's a pretty good bet. I'm surprised your recruiter hasn't set these up for you?

Devil Duck

There are several reserve intel units aboard NAVSTA Newport. You should have no problem getting multiple interviews knocked out during a drill weekend. Your recruiter should be capable of lining those up through the NIRC on your behalf.

sdgigles

Was just in today. Apparently he knows no one in the Intel community. I actually went through NY recruiting and they are seeing if they can do anything. When I told my recruiter that he was excited and asked me to pass on the information to him. I'm not sure he's going to be too much help, so if anyone has any contacts in Newport or knows of any other way to get in there, I would be most appreciative.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Was just in today. Apparently he knows no one in the Intel community. I actually went through NY recruiting and they are seeing if they can do anything. When I told my recruiter that he was excited and asked me to pass on the information to him. I'm not sure he's going to be too much help, so if anyone has any contacts in Newport or knows of any other way to get in there, I would be most appreciative.
Sent you PM.

sdgigles

First of all I would like to thank everyone, who's helped me so far. I've been told that an LT. in Newport will be interviewing me, but I don't have any details yet. Now for the dumbest question to grace these boards...Is there a specific way the Navy ties neckties? I want to look professional, and I would hate to do something as stupid as show up with the wrong knot in my tie. I know its a dumb question, but at this point I think its going to be the subtleties that make the difference

Devil Duck

I've spent most of my adult life in and around the military. I've worn a tie to work just about every day for the past eight years. One thing you should know is that most military folks don't wear ties, and when they do they don't wear high quality ties or tie them properly. Odds are your interviewer will not take note.

That said, you've got to match your tie, knot and shirt. I prefer shirts with the collar points spread farther apart. I also prefer thicker silk ties. I typically go with the half Windsor. Thinner ties may require the full Windsor. Have some respect for yourself and avoid the four-in-hand.

If you make it, do yourself a favor and opt for the Brooks Bros shirt & tie.

Devil Duck

No problem. Here's some unsolicited advice to aid in preparing for your interview.

- be abreast of current international developments (read the newspaper daily)
- be knowledgeable about the Navy as well as the intelligence community (who's that guy nominated to become the next DNI?)
- be prepared to discuss why you want to be a Naval officer. why intelligence? be thoughtful
- know every detail of your resume, be prepared to discuss any less flattering points of fact (gaps in employment, bad grade, fired from a job, etc)
- be able to discuss the current state of affairs (what keeps you up at night? Chinese anti-ship ballistic missiles?)
- be able to challenge your interviewer, if the officer asks if you have any questions, ask. you should prepare thoughtful topical questions beforehand. write them down if you must.

You're interviewing for a career. Sell yourself through your accomplishments. Good luck. DD

sdgigles

So interview was Tuesday, I feel like it went pretty well. I'll hopefully know next week what the results were. Thanks for everyone's help. Much Appreciated

marathonman

Nice job dude. Just curious, but what were your ASTB scores like? I'm planning on applying either Intel or SWO and wasn't sure if I should retake them or not. Seeing how it turned out for you.