• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel Officer Advice?

Bossadai

Hey everyone,

I'm a junior in NROTC, and have just found out that I'm gonna be going Restricted Line once I graduate/commission, since it was recently confirmed from my flight physical that I'm red-green color deficient. Before this, I had wanted to go Pilot/NFO simply because they seemed like the choices that, in my opinion, I would dislike the least (With SWO being my least wanted option, thank God it's Unrestricted Line)

However, given all this, I'm not that upset. I'm on an LREC Scholarship with a concentration on the Middle East/Arabic, which apparently are relatively rare in terms of all the Midshipmen nationally in the country. And, for what it's worth, I'm pretty good at Arabic for a white guy...although my colloquial accent and vocabulary still has a long way to go, I'm still more educated (grammatically and formally) than a number of Arabs I know here at school. So, going straight to a field like Intel once I would commission, without having to spend 4 as a SWO or something seems pretty nice to me.

So I'm asking, thoughts? Is Intel an alright career path? I really don't know the distinct differences between that and "Information Warfare" and "Information Professional" (wtf?). From what I've gleaned from some sources though (including a few topics here), it seems that as far as Intel goes, you can get assigned to different units (Spec Ops, Aviation Squadrons, etc). Also, with aviation squadrons, it's good to have a sense of humor and not take yourself too seriously...I would never want to overrate myself just because I'm an Intel Officer who speaks limited Arabic...I'm always gonna have to be improving myself and keeping an open mind. I'm not expecting to be doing some James Bond shit as an JO, unless the Bond man himself is really good at paperwork and other bottom-of-the-ladder minutia, lmao.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
''Before this, I had wanted to go Pilot/NFO simply because they seemed like the choices that, in my opinion, I would dislike the least...
Bossadai... I hope I'm wrong, but I get a sense from digesting your post (a bit condescending), that your ego/self esteem are alive and well. In only your 2nd AW post, you have managed to slight 2 of the Navy's main communities... you wold deign to "dislike the least", Pilot/NFO, and SWO, and "thank God" you won't be Unrestricted Line. As a career Naval Aviator, I appreciate that you don't dislike our trade a LOT. But inasmuch as you're not PQ to join us, no worry for you (or us).:rolleyes:
(With SWO being my least wanted option, thank God it's Unrestricted Line)
I'm sure the resident AW SWOs are gonna be tripping over each other to be helpful, offer advice, or answer your questions. Time for an attitude check Son... your not even out of college yet, you don't get to write your own ticket in our Navy, or talk down to experienced Military Officers!:(

If you make it as Air Intel O and end up in a Squadron/Air Wing as an AIO with an attitude, I'd not want to be in yout flip-flops!:eek:
BzB

However, given all this, I'm not that upset.

Bossadai

Ah, I see where you're coming from. I had a feeling I phrased my sentiments poorly, let me try again haha.

First, I have extreme respect for every community in the Navy. I've personally met some fantastic SWOs, and I have siblings who are tailhook pilots. What I meant to convey by saying Pilot/NFO are the communities I dislike the least, is that I didn't want to make it seem like those 2 communities are the "best" choices by default, like so many do. So many people in my unit have a natural, unchanging stigma for SWO and nothing but admiration for aviation...I hate that. I simply don't want to blindly overrate aviation, and I want to avoid making this a kind of sob story about me not getting it. So I failed at expressing that, I'm sorry.

My point about SWO is that personally, I'm terrible at navigation (like, I got a D and had to do extra work to improve my grade), and have a general disinterest in the things I've been learning in my ship systems classes. So, I'm "grateful" I now have a 0% chance at being one, since I know I would be pretty terrible at it. So yeah, before my medical disqualification, I favored aviation over surface warfare and the others. I felt like I would have been a better pilot than a navigator, and better that than SEAL, and better that than all the way down to SWO.

Overall, I don't mean any disrespect, and apologize for the insensitivity of my initial post.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Overall, I don't mean any disrespect, and apologize for the insensitivity of my initial post.
OK, now we're back on the same page. After you graduate (with the highest GPA you can), and after your application package & testing completed, the Navy will have a pretty good idea where you might fit in best. On occasion, some choices may become available to you.. but in the end, "needs of the Navy" will prevail.

In the meantime, work, study... keep pumping to improve grades. Some extra-curricular activities such as public service volunteer work, leadership experience and sports/physical fitness activities, will improve your package in a very competitive environment.

A little humility is your friend. Good luck!:)
BzB

LET73

Have to say, when you rate your choices by which one you dislike the least, I start wondering why you want to be in the Navy at all. Since you seem to like intel the second least, yes, it's an all right career path. It can even be a fun career path, if you decide you want to be there. Whether intel was your first choice or not (and I know it's not everyone's first choice), you need to be motivated to do your best.