• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Duty Station

I looked through and didn't see anything covering any sort of timeline as it pertains to once you get selected. I know my OCS report date will be 21 August, and obviously OCS is 12 weeks plus whatever processing time there may be, and AMO school is 9 weeks, but at what point do you receive PCS orders? Do you go right from OCS to AMO school, or is there a delay? After training do they send you back home to pack up? I'm going to have to sell my house and pack up my HHG and I need to figure out what to do with my wife, so at least knowing when we should be getting answers helps us figure out a plan! Is there anyone who has gone through this pipeline recently enough to shed some light on this?

My report date is also August 21st. I had a conversation with the detailer a few days ago and he told me that my AMO school is Jan-Mar. So after OCS I would check into whatever command I will be attached to, then go TAD from there to AMO school. He also told me that we wouldn't get PCS orders until weeks 7-9 of OCS. It was a quick conversation between myself and him, he was very straight to the point. I wuld suggest trying to get ahold of him, or the CM and talk with them about your particular situation.

21 Aug is gunna be here quick. idk about you bro, but I just want to get this sh!t started already haha

Awesome, we'll be going through together. I talked with one of the instructors at AMO who gave me a bit of info. That's interesting about the PCS orders, that's more info than I've gotten so far, so thanks! I emailed the detailer, as he was on leave, but have not received a response. I'm with you bro, ready to go! I'm looking forward to getting back to the fleet!

Most definitely. Are you active duty as well? I'm an AD1 stationed in Lemoore, CA. Do you know of anyone else who received a 21AUG report date?

Technically not active duty, I'm a reservist on active recall orders (I'm a canvasser recruiter if you want to look that up) in Corpus Christi. I'm ready to be done with recruiting! Haven't heard of anyone else though...did you hear the numbers?? 7 selects, 6 alts, and 79 non-selects...crazy bro.

Yea I saw the numbers not too long ago. Insane right. Good deal bro, when it gets closer hopefully we can all link up the day before shit gets crazy haha

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
Get all nonessential stuff packed up and in storage prior to OCS. I also had house sold and wife living with family when I was in a similar situation, going to school and not knowing next duty station. That way I flew up and moved her down From VB to Jax in one weekend. If you don't have family, you can sell house and go month to month in an apartment. Some apartments will let you have normal lease payment, and break it with military orders. You might lose your deposit though, check laws!

Good luck!

Thanks AQ, I appreciate it! We're already planning on getting the clutter out of the house before I go so if we need to list it she doesn't have to do all that on her own.

Yea I saw the numbers not too long ago. Insane right. Good deal bro, when it gets closer hopefully we can all link up the day before shit gets crazy haha

For sure, I'll definitely be getting to town a little early.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
Cool! Glad they did that. I was able to break lease (1995) but lost my deposit.

I guess time is flying by and I'm getting old, just realized I gave 20 year old advice. Seems like yesterday!

poprocks17

I have a quick question that I didn’t find an answer to with the search function. When SWOs choose their first duty station at OCS, about how many spots are open in San Diego?
I know this changes all the time and is determined by a number of factors, so I am looking for an estimate/percentage. I have heard that Norfolk and SD are the biggest, and was hoping to choose SD before all the slots are taken.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have a quick question that I didn’t find an answer to with the search function. When SWOs choose their first duty station at OCS, about how many spots are open in San Diego?
I know this changes all the time and is determined by a number of factors, so I am looking for an estimate/percentage. I have heard that Norfolk and SD are the biggest, and was hoping to choose SD before all the slots are taken.

You sort of answered your own question. There isn’t a set formula or number and will really depend on what’s on your slate when it comes to choosing your first ship at OCS.

Meyerkord

pilot
What RUFiO said. There is no formula to tell what will be open when it's your turn to choose. And there's also no way to "choose SD before all the slots are taken." At OCS, your class officer will provide a list to the SWOs and it's up to each of you to pick your ship and location. If you can't decide as a group, then your class officer will decide for you.