• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In NEED of guidance**

Sarahy Montoya

I am currently 23. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA with a Biology degree and I'm interested in becoming an Intel Officer. I've read that you only get 3 chances to make a 45+ score on the OAR and I recently took it. I didn't score high enough to even be considered and I really want to get my hands on any sort of material that would get me prepared for the test. I felt at ease with the reading and MC part, but I was shaky with the math. It was stuff I hadn't really seen since high school and I know I know it, but I just need something to freshen me up. Any suggestions and vital information would be much appreciated!

socalsomeday

SNA: Y | SWO: Y
I am currently 23. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA with a Biology degree and I'm interested in becoming an Intel Officer. I've read that you only get 3 chances to make a 45+ score on the OAR and I recently took it. I didn't score high enough to even be considered and I really want to get my hands on any sort of material that would get me prepared for the test. I felt at ease with the reading and MC part, but I was shaky with the math. It was stuff I hadn't really seen since high school and I know I know it, but I just need something to freshen me up. Any suggestions and vital information would be much appreciated!

There’s tons of information on this site if you search around. I recommend starting in the ASTB thread. Reddit and youtube are also helpful. Or purchase practice books.

I also recommend reading more about applying for Intel. A stellar undergrad GPA is needed, or a masters/prior service. I’m not an expert though - just read threads on this site. Hope you reach your goal!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You need a OAR of >= 50. You current background/qualifications seem more suited to the SWO community (read the various program authorizations)

... a 3.2 GPA... a Biology degree... Intel Officer

Please read the program authorization for Intelligence Officer. It will give you a good indicator of what is considered competitive. You can also speak with a recruiter who will give you an idea of what other Intel Officer candidates are looking like in terms of their backgrounds, which speaks to the people you are competing against for the slot.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Looks like you need to reorganize your preferences, seldom do 3.2 science degree majors get selected for Intel.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Do you have any language or cultural skills that may be in need? That's about the only way I see you getting picked up for Intel. Anecdotal Evidence: Most of the guys I know who got picked up off of the street for AD Intel did so with a Masters/PhD in a special field, had substantial language skills, and cultural experience.

I do know a handful of dudes who got picked up for DCO Intel and they were a mixed bag of engineering, international studies with in-demand language skills, and computer science.

Your best bet is to commission into some other community (like SWO) and then try and transfer into the Intel community. The other option is to try your hand at the cryptological community as the last I heard they were hurting for people and were much more lenient, but be prepared to be put through a calculus-intensive masters program at some point.

Sarahy Montoya

I'm bilingual, I'm fluent in both Spanish and English, but I haven't gotten around to learning a different one... I took several psychology classes and I've got really good people skills.

Thank you for the info! I had already been looking at going in as SWO if I didn't get in into Intel. My recruiter has been pretty good at sharing valuable bits and pieces of how it is, but he's been very encouraging to just do well on the OAR and that after that I had a lot going for me. After reading several threads though, I'm starting to see it as almost impossible.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Good luck. Advice to you is to commission as a SWO or another designator for which you qualify. Since you are fluent bilingual, consider lat transferring to FAO at O-3. Language and culture is far more important to FAOs than to Intel. Also, FAO does not have a commissioning source, so O-3 is “entry level” for FAOs. No one will fault you for using SWO as a stepping stone to FAO - because literally every designator is a stepping stone to FAO. They have great careers and get to travel all over. The U.S. Navy needs Spanish-speaking FAOs for attache work and partner capacity building all over Latin America (and in Spain, too).

** Check the Program Auth for FAO, but I think you will need to earn yourself a master’s degree as fast as possible.

exNavyOffRec

I'm bilingual, I'm fluent in both Spanish and English, but I haven't gotten around to learning a different one... I took several psychology classes and I've got really good people skills.

Thank you for the info! I had already been looking at going in as SWO if I didn't get in into Intel. My recruiter has been pretty good at sharing valuable bits and pieces of how it is, but he's been very encouraging to just do well on the OAR and that after that I had a lot going for me. After reading several threads though, I'm starting to see it as almost impossible.

I had several of my applicants get selected for IWC designators, not a single one put down they spoke a foreign language, I worked with several Intel officers on recruiting and they said there was never a need for them to ever speak a foreign language, one of them new IWC board members and the board is more concerned about degree and GPA, language wasn't a concern.

First get a qualifying OAR.
Second is to think about going SWO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good luck. Advice to you is to commission as a SWO or another designator for which you qualify. Since you are fluent bilingual, consider lat transferring to FAO at O-3. Language and culture is far more important to FAOs than to Intel. Also, FAO does not have a commissioning source, so O-3 is “entry level” for FAOs. No one will fault you for using SWO as a stepping stone to FAO - because literally every designator is a stepping stone to FAO. They have great careers and get to travel all over. The U.S. Navy needs Spanish-speaking FAOs for attache work and partner capacity building all over Latin America (and in Spain, too).

** Check the Program Auth for FAO, but I think you will need to earn yourself a master’s degree as fast as possible.

Surprisingly the masters degree isn’t a big deal. I’ve seen folks get FAO without it and usually get sent to NPS right after to start on their masters.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Surprisingly the masters degree isn’t a big deal. I’ve seen folks get FAO without it and usually get sent to NPS right after to start on their masters.
Rgr. I knew a master’s is still required for FAO, just couldn’t remember if you needed it to apply, or if the FAO community immediately sends you to get it.

Also, my FAO gouge is a mix of Army, Navy, and Air Force FAO gouge so it’s tough to keep it all straight.

She will also need a 3/3/3 on the DLPT, if I recall. (Maybe the reg minimums are 2/2/2, but Spanish is so common she’ll want to exceed those.)

Last edited:

IRfly

None

Here's some gouge on the Navy FAO community.

1) The Navy isn't hurting for Spanish-speaking FAOs. Knowing Spanish is better than not knowing any language, but you won't stand out by simply having grown up speaking Spanish.

2) No one in the FAO community would fault you for using SWO as a stepping-stone, but you might want to keep that goal to yourself until you get close to the board time and work hard in your parent community.

3) People who seem like they'd be good FAOs but whose skill set is fairly common (i.e. knowing Spanish) can just as soon find themselves in Ghana or Bahrain. These aren't bad jobs, really, but probably not what you think about when you hear "great careers and get to travel all over." You'll also spend time on staffs. Staff in Germany, Japan, or Hawaii (or even DC for that matter) is not bad...but it's still a staff. And if you come into the FAO community because you want a specific billet (Naval Attache in France, for example), you're more than likely to be disappointed.

4) A master's degree is more or less a requirement. Having one will make you more attractive to the community on a lat transfer board. If you don't have one, how you get one will mostly depend on timing. There are limited embassy billets in all AORs for LTs (particularly in EUCOM), so you could end up at a foreign war college. You could also, depending again on timing, be told to do a master's degree or JPME via distance learning.

Hot tip If you really want to be a FAO, try to work in an AOR before becoming a FAO. For a SWO. that would be a ship in Rota or Japan, or a shore tour at a component staff in the AOR you hope to work in. That would make you a solid candidate for lat transfer.

Jules12

pilot
Thread revival...

Regarding "foreign war college" that is mentioned above, does anyone have a list of eligible foreign war colleges that US military officers can attend?

"International war college" is also mentioned on the PERS VFA DH Boiler Plate. Just trying to figure out which institutions are included.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thread revival...

Regarding "foreign war college" that is mentioned above, does anyone have a list of eligible foreign war colleges that US military officers can attend?

"International war college" is also mentioned on the PERS VFA DH Boiler Plate. Just trying to figure out which institutions are included.
You can find the basic list here…AFAIK it applies to all services.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thread revival...

I've got a buddy who went to the French war college in Paris. He is a FAO and works mainly Francophone countries in Africa. From what I've seen, you need a reason to go and many times it's for Intel or FAO types who specialize in that specific region of the world or culture.