• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improving push-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

Right now, I'm pretty good all around on the PRT. However, I can never seem to get as many push-ups as I want. I'm tall and lean, more built for running, and so the running is always easy for me. However, I can't ever seem to max out the push-ups on the PRT. I try to work on my push-ups daily, but I can't seem to increase my max. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should be doing better? I've tried just maxing out time after time, pyramids, and just lots of sets of smaller numbers, but because I'm so lean, I can't seem to put on much more muscle mass or boost my numbers significantly. Thanks for any help.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Try hitting the weights. Overall the bech press isn't a great way to improve pushups, but working on your triceps and biceps is. Also, strengthen your lower back and abs, as those are needed to do alot of pushups. However, don't neglect doing pushups altogether, rather integrate the weights into your workouts.

FYI- I'm a 24 Yr. old Ensign, and I did 88 pushups on my command PRT earlier this month

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Here is a program that really works. I average between 81-90 with it. 87 is maxing out the test if you are in my age category.

I recommend doing this program on your knuckles, b/c the extra range of motion will help make you stronger for the pushup test. i was very strict about getting the sets in and making them up if i missed. here are two programs the second is harder than the first.
Hit The Deck Program Drop and Give Me 100
wk1 Wk1
Mon- (test); 30% of RM every 60min Mon- test; 40% 60min
Tue- 50% 60min Tue- 50% 30min
Wed- 60% 45min Wed- 70% 45min
Thur- 25% 60min Thur- 40% 60min
Fri- 45% 30min Fri- 80% 60min
Sat- 40% 60min Sat- 55% 90min
Sun- 20% 90min Sun- 20% 90min
Wk2 Wk2
Mon- (test); 35% 45min Mon- test; 90% 120min
Tue- 55% 20min Tue- 45% 60min
Wed- 30% 15min Wed- 20% 10min
Thur- 65% 60min Thur- 65% 90min
Fri- 35% 45min Fri- 75% 60min
Sat- 45% 60min Sat- 30% 90min
Sun- 25% 120min Sun- 15% 120min
Wk3 Wk3
Mon- Test Mon- Test

E6286

OCC 191 Select
RM = Your Max. You do a two minute test and use that number. Good luck.

By the way, notice that there are two seperate programs there. The one is Hit the Deck and the other is drop and give me 100. The second is tougher than the first. I couldn't get them to format properly when I posted so if you have trouble figuring out what I mean let me know and I will e-mail it to you although I think its pretty self-explanatory.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
also..how you count them out can help "fool" your mind on how many you do...I count 1 for every group of four push-ups...so by the time I reach 10..I've done 40 without realizing it.

bbennett73

E6286,

You're doing push-ups every 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes every day, all day?

I wish I could commit to that, but it's not practical with my work environment. Any suggestions for modifying to 3 or 4 times per day?

-BB

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Just do it for the hours you are home. If you can dedicate 8 hours towards the program you shouldn't have a problem, especially if you make up missed sets for say 4 additional hours. Its only 2 weeks.

However, if you cannot stick to the program than a more simplified but more painful program is like this: 3 X a week you do your maximum. Then, multiply that number by 4 and take as few sets as possible to reach that number. NEVER do less than 25 per set and when you start struggling do negatives if you have to but one negative only equals one half push up.

Finally, keep in mind its all about speed. Today I cranked out 90 in just under one minute. If you pause during your reps you will inevitably use muscle endurance that could be used for cranking them out.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Doesn't hurt to stretch more to get more flexability, better strength in a greater range of motion, could help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.