• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improve eyes without PRK

navy_or_bust

I have found tons of information relating to improving your eyes without surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these methods.

Supplements/Vitamins- Including: Bilberry extract, B-complex etc.

Wearing reading glasses for near work

Eye Exercises

Playing First person shooter/action games http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2764

Being well hydrated

I have found many source saying that these can all affect your vision but I was hoping to find some personal testimonials to back them up. Any input or other methods would be greatly appreciated. I feel I have a pretty competitive package and would hate to loose a slot do to vision being just outside or requirements.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I dont know if being well hydrated helps you, but I know if you're dehydrated your vision sucks. I did much better on eye tests when I would binge drink water a day or two before and the day of. I've found that when I'm really tired and my eyes start to hurt, if I go to bed or do something that will rest my eyes, my vision remains good. If I continue to read a book or stare at the computer screen or whatever, it starts getting bad and my eyes hurt. So I dont know about all the medical reasons, but rest and water does help keep your vision sharp. Or at least mine...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Search for the thread. I KNOW I've commented on my experiences with the exercises and extracts before. Also in the stats and scores section, I believe I responded to someone asking about this.

phrogpilot73

Search for the thread. I KNOW I've commented on my experiences with the exercises and extracts before. Also in the stats and scores section, I believe I responded to someone asking about this.
Okay, you avatar combined with the video link you posted makes me realize that all those stories you told about "scoring" are true. However, to avoid persecution here on AW, you changed "guys" to "chicks." Damn, you're gay.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Okay, you avatar combined with the video link you posted makes me realize that all those stories you told about "scoring" are true. However, to avoid persecution here on AW, you changed "guys" to "chicks." Damn, you're gay.

One of the world-famous AW mods gave me the Avatar, thank you very much. I decided to keep it for a bit to humor them and added the custom user title. I'll change it when I find something funnier to replace it.;)

phrogpilot73

One of the world-famous AW mods gave me the Avatar, thank you very much. I decided to keep it for a bit to humor them and added the custom user title. I'll change it when I find something funnier to replace it.;)
OK, well in that case - I guess it's OK. I still think you're gay though.

SETX07

Yeah, and I can personally attest to the fact that going for an annual flight physical at Mainside Naval hospital after patrol FEX at TBS after using NVG's and getting no sleep the night before will most likely drop your vision from 20/20 to 20/30 like it did myself.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If you are not properly hydrated your body will not be able to do many things as well when compared to being properly hydrated. Hydration is crucial for doing well on an eye test.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Eye Exercises....
Worked for me after losing a nomination to the Boat Skool for 20/30 visual acuity in one eye. I went from 20/30 left eye to a shaky 20/20 .... years later I was reading 20/10 and 20/15 (R-L) uncorrected on a good day. Today, I still can read the 20/15 line when the stars are in alignment and near vision is a shaky 20/20 unassisted when I'm rested.

No PRK in those days and no vision waivers for the front seat. :eek:

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I've gone with the reading glasses idea in college and grad school (computer simulations...). It makes sense when you consider what your eyes have to do when you focus in up close: the muscles tense up to bend your lens. Reading glasses allow your muscles to relax while reading, so they don't get too tight, like bogey_spotter's massive-nippled pecs. Then when you need distance acuity your lens can relax more easily. I got a set of the weakest reading glasses possible. There's no benefit from getting anything stronger than that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've gone with the reading glasses idea in college and grad school (computer simulations...). It makes sense when you consider what your eyes have to do when you focus in up close: the muscles tense up to bend your lens. Reading glasses allow your muscles to relax while reading, so they don't get too tight, like bogey_spotter's massive-nippled pecs. Then when you need distance acuity your lens can relax more easily. I got a set of the weakest reading glasses possible. There's no benefit from getting anything stronger than that.

+1. I got weak (+1) glasses for walking around in, and slowly over time my vision "accomodated" to this diopter, making my eyes more far-sighted (closer to 20/20 because I was near-sighted) and when I am reading or looking at a computer, something with 2-3 diopter (because you are focusing your eyes a LOT more and need to ensure your eyes are focused on infinity to make sure you are not accomodating to read).

OK, well in that case - I guess it's OK. I still think you're gay though.

Fair enough. :p

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I know nothing, i.e., I'm an Aviator, not a Doc ... but I was told a long, long time ago (and it's been reinforced over the years by other Docs) that if you have "weak" eye muscles, the WORST thing you can do is to wear corrective lenses.

I still follow that advice today. I ONLY wear "dime store cheaters" (never had a prescription) when I'm tired, it's dim/dark, or just because I can't do some particular "up close" work without 'em.

Just sayin' ... do whatever you choose. :)