• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Imminent Fury/A-29 Pics

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't surprise me in the least that some of the 'higher-ups' don't know our history. We train very good engineers to be excellent bureaucrats in This Man's Navy. We leave foreign affairs, history and strategy to the cheese-eatin' types like GEN Petraeus.

I'm willing to bet that, once educated on the proud history of VAL, their response was something along the lines of, "Well, maybe, but that doesn't apply to our current situation."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, where can I find an MPRA to A-29 community transfer application. . .?

Sadly, as of June 30, there no longer is a A-29 community in the Navy so you'd have to look for an exchange assignment with the Brazilian or Columbian Air Force, which are the largest operators. To give you hope, in case Phase II somehow gets approved, there was a MPRA type in the Phase I cadre*.

*Of course, helps to be NSAWC Admiral's aide de camp and to be personally tutored by him in Hornets to prep him for aircrew duties sitting in an ejection seat sans oven.

Here's a moto post

Panelcheckw-Mk81headonpass.jpg

HJ photo

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These pics are awesome!! Thanks for that.

Now youse guys know why I was at Fallon so much taking pictures! So now the missing part of the portfolio is complete! Here are a few more. I am in process of consolidating the images from over 2 years of shooting the Super T from arrival to departure so I'm posting unique ones that pop up as I grab the files from several hard drives and laptops that I used over that timeframe.

5L7P9738.jpg

Where's Waldo? (Can you find the Super T in this picture?). ANG folks were REALLY interested in Super T (beats flying a Pred) so we got constant visitors like this A-10 from a Guard unit in process of transitioning (this was last A-10 they had)

5L7P9544.jpg

Fury taxining back to "Mancamp" at Fallon during barebones FOB OPS over summer of 2009

RusticFury.jpg

Fury with 160th SOAR MH-47 during SPECOPS Exercise

IMG_4683.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Where's Waldo? (Can you find the Super T in this picture?). ANG folks were REALLY interested in Super T (beats flying a Pred) so we got constant visitors like this A-10 from a Guard unit in process of transitioning (this was last A-10 they had)

5L7P9544.jpg

Looks like she's from Willow Grove.(?) Sad to see so many guys losing their rides. That's the tough part about the ANG, especially these days. It is one reason why I decided to go Marine Corps. (That and I wanted to kill fire monsters)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Waldo (A-29) is in the hangar. You can see her FLIR pod just barely. What do I win?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Waldo (A-29) is in the hangar. You can see her FLIR pod just barely. What do I win?

Good guess and you can barely see her. It's actually the Hush House, which was initially a successful place to hide until the world leaked and suddenly all the civil servants were doing their "wellness walks" yards in front fo the doors. One particular group did it like clockwork daily. We noticed the ~4 folks were incresing in size daily until one day, they had over 12 in their group. We knew one of them due to his eccentric (ie classic engineer pocket protector retro style) dress and he was always in closest position. As they approached, we saw he was chatting (like a tour guide) and and like in military drill, all their heads turned towards the hangar doors (which were barely open at the time) as if "pocket protector guy" had commanded "eyes left!"

That was in May 2009 timeframe as we did the GBU-58 fit checks for flight clearance folks and installed the M3P .50 cals. The private company that owned the Super wasn't allowed to import it with any armament so we had to install them in states. Easy enough to order them out of supply system, but the aircraft didn't have the leading edge kit installed and it would have taken too long to go through State Dept drill to get permission to order it. No problemo, the seriously competent Air Vehicle Modification and Instrumentation (AVMI) engineers and artisans on base came over and did some measurements and were back next day with fairings they built in their awesome tool shop (high school machine shop on steroids).

Leading edge pre-fairing install

Mk81.jpg

GBU-58 fit check for inspection by Flight Clearance folks. Note missiing section of leading edge (look for zinc chromate just above pylon) awaiting new fairing from AVMI

5L7P9510.jpg

Leading edge in fall 2009 after installation of M3P .50 cal

Thunderbolt1visittoNTU.jpg

HJ photos

Reactions: Tom

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I wonder how many pages in the official history of Operation Enduring Freedom will be devoted to berating Congress for shooting down IF twenty years from now (assuming OEF is over by then.)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how many pages in the official history of Operation Enduring Freedom will be devoted to berating Congress for shooting down IF twenty years from now (assuming OEF is over by then.)

Well, fat lady hasn't sung quite yet. I'm in DC Monday in front row seat waiting to see if she gets let out of her dressing room...

Back to the archive

Fallon flightline in summer of 2008

June08715.jpg

Wish I had gotten more air-to-air

FurySeptPix079.jpg

Aircraft is so quiet you can hear CADs fire (note mk81 as it releases)

mk81drop.jpg

View from Man-camp at Fallon

FuryCamo.jpg

Almost time to go to work (as sun sets on 160th SOAR MH-47)

June08104.jpg

HJ photos

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like she's from Willow Grove.(?) Sad to see so many guys losing their rides. That's the tough part about the ANG, especially these days. It is one reason why I decided to go Marine Corps. (That and I wanted to kill fire monsters)

5L7P9535.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you're sayin' there's a chance...

First female in cockpit was a MH-60S driver from NIWO

5L7P0854.jpg

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Judging from the news out of HBC, it seems it's going to be a political knife fight from here on out with respect to which A/C to field. Makes you wonder why the politicians really cut the funds for A-29...oh wait I know, Super T parts aren't built in their district like the AT-6.

BTW, 100% mission capable rate and zero maintenance gripes? Isn't that a bit of a stretch, even for a brand new bird?

....gonna go grab my tinfoil-hat, BRB...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Judging from the news out of HBC, it seems it's going to be a political knife fight from here on out with respect to which A/C to field. Makes you wonder why the politicians really cut the funds for A-29...oh wait I know, Super T parts aren't built in their district like the AT-6.

BTW, 100% mission capable rate and zero maintenance gripes? Isn't that a bit of a stretch, even for a brand new bird?

....gonna go grab my tinfoil-hat, BRB...

GEN Mattis throws IF back in debate during his conformation hearing. SWJ has nice wrap-up of pertinent links. Guess Fat Lady will have to cool her heels for time being.....and the Black Pony alumni can still hope that their legacy might be revived.

Black Pony OV-10 back in the day

bt4.jpg