• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Imminent Fury/A-29 Pics

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off: cool plane that looks like it could deliver the goods that the warfighters need.

But I've got one question. So the Navy asked for 22 million dollars to fund a ready-to-go, proven and cheap air platform that could serve a critical role. This after a number of individuals with stars on their shoulders said we needed, yet Congress turned the request down? What's the rationale for this?!?! Or am I incorrect in my assumptions? What I'm getting is that Congress denied the warfighter a critical tool....seems kinda AFU to me....

The Reprogramming ATR (Above Threshold Request) to Congress was for $44M ($22M from Navy accounts and $22M from Air Force accounts) as delineated in MOA signed by Gen Schwartz (CSAF) ADM Roughead (CNO) and ADM Olson (CDR USSOCOM) who agreed to underwrite in theatre O&M costs. See Gimp and Uncle Fester's comment for the political reason why it was shot down. Even though AT-6B is not ready and not configured for IF mission set, it was viewed as a threat for proposed larger Air Force buy of up to 100 light strike aircraft (so-called LAAR) and the Afghan and Iraqi Air Force buys. Here's Dick Young's take on situation.

Note: Kansas CODEL did what they're elected to do = All politics is local and they pushed for a Witchita-based solution even though it's not ready for prime time.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
You mean to fly it you're going to have to wear SPATS? Really? :p

If the USMC ever gets I.F. birds, I'll wear the spats... :icon_smil

Marines%2Bat%2BB%2BWoods.jpg

The Reprogramming ATR (Above Threshold Request) to Congress was for $44M ($22M from Navy accounts and $22M from Air Force accounts) as delineated in MOA signed by Gen Schwartz (CSAF) ADM Roughead (CNO) and ADM Olson (CDR USSOCOM) who agreed to underwrite in theatre O&M costs. See Gimp and Uncle Fester's comment for the political reason why it was shot down. Even though AT-6B is not ready and not configured for IF mission set, it was viewed as a threat for proposed larger Air Force buy of up to 100 light strike aircraft (so-called LAAR) and the Afghan and Iraqi Air Force buys. Here's Dick Young's take on situation.

WRT Dick Young's commentary, when in hell are we gonna delete the political aggrandizement when it come to our guys in the field? Oh wait...nevermind, greedy slimeballs don't give a shit it seems.

EDIT: ...since my blood is boiling now, I'm gonna wear the spats and affix a bayonet to the pitot tube

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Spats, spats, spats, SPATS !!!

F.Y.I., guys .....

They're LEGGINGS ... NOT 'spats'.

You 'Grunts' ESPECIALLY should know better ... in your history of the Corps, never heard of 'Yellow Legs' ???

spats.jpg
... SPATS ('kine like the guy in Monopoly... ??)

usmcleggings.jpg
... LEGGINGS (USMC, btw -- Yellow Legs)

leggings.jpg
... LEGGINGS (the domesticated 'kine ...)

Which one would YOU rather 'wear' .... ??? :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else catch the Black Pony on the nose? Awesome...

Taking those who are already trained on the mission, makes perfect sense in the grand scheme of things.

The Black Pony is a nice touch, I am sure the old VAL-4 hands would be proud to see their tradition carried on.

We are. We are all keeping in touch with each other about this.

A4s said:
... I was waiting for our resident VAL-4 guy to chime in ... since he's the expert and deserves respect.

Indeed. In fact, as Imminent Fury progessed, we were struck as the similiarity between the reason for creation of the Black Ponies (aka VAL-4) to support SEALs and the demand signal coming out of Afghanistan for the same type of responsive support operating nearby and developing a close relationship with each other (similar to that displayed in Blackhawk Down). The record of the Black Ponies in sorties flown and ordnance dropped (a single squadron outflew the entire 7th Fleet!) is remarkable, but little known (especially it seems today). When briefing the IF concept some time back, an admiral actually said "We've never done this before". Luckily, I had this summary with me and provided it on the spot to enlighten the unknowing ones.

As we endeavored to "socialize" the concept, we discovered that the original Black Ponies had gone through very similar trials and tribulations despite the urgency of the demand signal. We procured a couple copies of the out-of-print Flying Black Ponies and I even met with the author when he was in DC on a visit. After the core team had all read the book, we looked at each other and all agreed we needed a Black Pony on the aircraft. We asked the Black Pony Association if they minded and got an enthusiastic "Do it!" So BlkPny has been in touch and very patient about updates off-line. This photo is for you:

IMG_0597.jpg

Fury at Oceana in October 09 (HJ photo)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....When briefing the IF concept some time back, an admiral actually said "We've never done this before"....
Unbelievable that a USN Admiral would not know his NAVAIR history ... especially such an important contribution as VAL-4.

I suppose he's never heard of HAL-3, either ... ???

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Unbelievable that a USN Admiral would not know his NAVAIR history ... especially such an important contribution as VAL-4.

No surprise to me at all. I was always amazed at an almost complete ignorance of our history by other folks in our business. I usually found one or two in a squadron tha had any clue about the history of Navy airborne EW or even the lineage of VAQ. I hope the 100th annivesary wakes some folks up to where we have come from.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

"Several" years ago (probably about 10), there was a lot of effort to put the helo-based Hellfire into the pub that delineates how best to use a weapon on what target (the name is escaping me at the moment). The request to do this made it up very high until someone who hadn't been in the cockpit for a long time finally said, "Hellfire? Navy helos don't carry Hellfire." And the program to get the money was immediately crossed off the list.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot

... then again, it's those same types of people at that level that would bury Aviation Greens and simultaneously resurrect Dress Khakis for "historical reasons" ... just sayin' ...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
"Several" years ago (probably about 10), there was a lot of effort to put the helo-based Hellfire into the pub that delineates how best to use a weapon on what target (the name is escaping me at the moment). The request to do this made it up very high until someone who hadn't been in the cockpit for a long time finally said, "Hellfire? Navy helos don't carry Hellfire." And the program to get the money was immediately crossed off the list.

As we struggle to get them to shoot for practice today...go figure.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Spats, spats, spats, SPATS !!!

F.Y.I., guys .....

They're LEGGINGS ... NOT 'spats'.

You 'Grunts' ESPECIALLY should know better ... in your history of the Corps, never heard of 'Yellow Legs' ???

leggings.jpg
... LEGGINGS (the domesticated 'kine ...)

Which one would YOU rather 'wear' .... ??? :)
I kept the vernacular for continuity, but more so in hopes that you would post a pic of our fit friend here ;)

BTW...Long live the Black Ponies!!!

BlkPny

pilot
Any more of this, and us old guys will actually start believing our own Sea Stories.

Seriously, as a group we are extremely proud and honored to see this continuation of our name and insignia.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any more of this, and us old guys will actually start believing our own Sea Stories.

Seriously, as a group we are extremely proud and honored to see this continuation of our name and insignia.

As are the ones wearing the Black Pony on their flightsuits, helmets and ballcaps!

Ponies.jpg

Imminent Fury Duty Desk with obligatory Hard Sayings Log and ROVER 5s

VAL_4ROVER5.jpg

Fallonflightline.jpg

HJ Photos