• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS I'm Worried that SNA/pilot is overmanned?

Yram Y.

I'll try to keep it short:
I'm a college Junior; Chemistry major, Mathematics minor. I want to go to OCS after I graduate and become a Naval Aviator. I have not spoken to a recruiter, yet. My granddad was a Naval fighter pilot.
I'm a NCAA D-2 athlete, athletic awards, scholar awards, >100 Volunteer Service hours, 3.7 GPA, work experience, internship experience;
I'm not sure how much they care about my achievements if there are limited positions for SNA.
It's been brought to my attention that if I pursue the long OCS package process, I can still walk into MEPS and be told something along the lines of "Sorry, this position is overmanned."
So, what happens? Do I have to choose another job in the Navy? What do most people do?
Has anyone heard anything about the Navy being in demand for SNA's and I shouldn't be worried?
Thanks.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I'm a college Junior; Chemistry major, Mathematics minor. I want to go to OCS after I graduate and become a Naval Aviator. I have not spoken to a recruiter, yet. My granddad was a Naval fighter pilot.
I'm a NCAA D-2 athlete, athletic awards, scholar awards, >100 Volunteer Service hours, 3.7 GPA, work experience, internship experience;
I'm not sure how much they care about my achievements if there are limited positions for SNA.
It's been brought to my attention that if I pursue the long OCS package process, I can still walk into MEPS and be told something along the lines of "Sorry, this position is overmanned."
So, what happens? Do I have to choose another job in the Navy? What do most people do?
Has anyone heard anything about the Navy being in demand for SNA's and I shouldn't be worried?
Thanks.

Find and talk to your local officer recruiter. He/she will be able to answer this question very clearly for you. It's the best first step, and trust me, they don't bite :)

Generally: If you submit an OCS package for SNA and get picked up, that's what you're going to be when you commission (provided you are medically qualified and they don't find some medical discrepancy while you're at OCS). If something comes up that prevents you from becoming an SNA upon commission, you'll be given the choice to redesignate or to walk.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@AllYourBass beat me to the punch. Talk to a recruiter. No rush, but whenever's a good time with your schedule call, set up a meeting, and talk more. Your post has information from ALL over the place, much of it inaccurate. BRING A NOTEPAD WHEN YOU MEET WITH THE OR FOR THE FIRST TIME.

That's the only true option and guidance you have here.

Yram Y.

Find and talk to your local officer recruiter. He/she will be able to answer this question very clearly for you. It's the best first step, and trust me, they don't bite :)

Generally: If you submit an OCS package for SNA and get picked up, that's what you're going to be when you commission (provided you are medically qualified and they don't find some medical discrepancy while you're at OCS). If something comes up that prevents you from becoming an SNA upon commission, you'll be given the choice to redesignate or to walk.
Wow thanks so much. I don't know very much do I? I'll go talk to a recruiter, I appreciate your response.

Yram Y.

@AllYourBass beat me to the punch. Talk to a recruiter. No rush, but whenever's a good time with your schedule call, set up a meeting, and talk more. Your post has information from ALL over the place, much of it inaccurate. BRING A NOTEPAD WHEN YOU MEET WITH THE OR FOR THE FIRST TIME.

That's the only true option and guidance you have here.
I'm laughing at myself, I guess I had it all misconstrued ,Thank you !!!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks.

If you want to be a pilot re-apply when they aren't overmanned (if they happened to be)- it changes from year to year and also apply to all the other services for a pilot position.

If you want to be a pilot, don't settle for another job in the military. Work on your quals on the civilian side of the house to make yourself more competitive at each consecutive board.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Talk to an OFFICER Recruiter. If you walk into a standard Navy recruiter, you will be off to boot camp with the promise of becoming a pilot after you complete X,Y and Z.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks.

Learn to use the search function here, that would lead you to see you need to talk to an OR
Like what was already said talk to an OR
Take the ASTB when your OR says you should
You have a great GPA and degree
In this process no one cares what your Granddad did but you, but I bet he has some good stories.
You have a better chance catching an STD from some chick at college than being told SNA is full and to choose something else.