• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im another Non-Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! This sucks! Well, looks like I didnt make it. Just got off the phone with my oso. I applied NFO, he said there are are no NFOs selected on the east coast. He said my stats were good, just no seats. I know people on this site got in as an NFO, so tell me where youre from. Also, if anyone else can tell me if they got in with a PRK waiver as a pilot and how they did it... Id appreciate the info. He said he wasnt sure if there were going to be any NFO seats for 185, so I just dont know. I want to be in a plane, I dont want to switch to ground. AHHH!! All I can do is keep trying, so I will. 185! Congrats to you guys who are going! -Gavin

matthewbohman

Bummer man. I can definitely sympathize with you. I applied for an aviation spot last April and was told the same thing, no spots. I just had to resubmit and now I got accepted to 184. I think they look favorably on people who resubmit, since they are obviously committed to being an officer and aren't just doing it on a whim. Good Luck.

reapergm

Im def going to reapply, but things just got worse. Talked to my OSO again to weigh options. He told me some discouraging stuff. First he said that he has no NFO slots for Jan or June. NONE. That if I apply again for those as an NFO it will be taking a chance. Then he said for the winter he had one ground and one air, and that the ground contracts for 184 were insanely competitive. Anyone not going mustang to ground.. has a 300 pft and such. He said PRK is out of the question. They did a study on it, now they are no longer allowing PRK waivers until the effects are studied on those people who were accepted. So now I can wait a year or so, and see what happens.. I can mustang it, or find something else. I know I cant quit, Ive come too far, and I want to be a Marine. So I am seriously considering enlisting and working up. Anyone have advice? Anyone know anything on NFOs?

orthaj

Keep this in mind, if you enlist you are going to do the four five or six years you sign of for. While I was enlisted I never heard of anybody with a college degree getting off active duty to go to OCS until they were at least an E-5 with over four years already in. I heard rumors of guys with less but most of those were just rumors. I was also in a tech MOS (2831) where there was no shortage smart, talented and capable Marines with college experience.(note HQMC at time didn't like to send any 2800's away from T/O positions).
I don't want to discourage you from enlisting because it is rewarding in its own right, and I am not saying it is impossible to get into OCS while on active duty. Circumstances regarding this may have changed sinceI was an E-4 four years ago.
Just weigh your options carefully before you make any decisions.

fraz76

hay reapergm
If you do go enlisted then go in the Corp Reserve...become a Marine like you want and try to get a MOS you would want to learn and do. Once you are done training and assigned to a unit back at home, reapply again for OCC. And hopefully slots will be open by the time you are done with all your training. Cause applying from the enlisted reserve to Officer Active duty is fairly easier than being lock in on your enlisted active duty contract. Plus you will be assigned to a unit near your home for the time being.
Best of Luck, Fraz

Nick

what fraz is saying if my exact plan and im "cat-p" right now with my reserve unit and its freaking awsome. more motivating that anything being around those guys and blasting sh!t. Anyhow the SSgt that works with my OSO said that the corps likes to draw from the inside and it would definatly increase your chances of being selected and succeding.

AviatorMR239

no NFO slots open huh? ouch....what did he say about pilot slots? on one hand i'm hearing how the Corps needs pilots but i'm also hearing all these people getting turned away.....not encouraging news... the 185 wait continues

reapergm

Oh, pilot slots? Theyre golden! If you have 20/20 vision, and good stats, youre good to go. But... If you bust your ass, and do all that you can for a ground or NFO slot, youre done. I know I cant go for NFO this Jan b/c againthere are no slots. See, I have a 282 pft with not so great knees right now. I know that in 2 months I wont differ in run time, but, I wont lose any time right now either. My PFT will probably stay the same. So it will be really hard competing with guys who have 285+ pft scores who got rejected for 184 ground. And 99% of civilians got negged for ground. I dont know. Ill see what happens. I cant freak out. Im trying to be a leader by example right? So hell. I will be an example. Im that guy who never quit, who tried a ton of times. I will get in to OCS. I just wish I knew when!

AviatorMR239

well that's a load off my mind....somewhat

think of it this way dude, there will undoubtably be a number of guys who go to 184 who were given the chance that you would kill for right now, and they are gonna wash out...and most of them probably won't come back to try again. You on the other hand will have clawed and scratched and fought your way in through whatever means necessary, and you won't have to prove to yourself that you want to be there.

I remember going out for spring try-outs for varsity football at the end of my freshman year, and after the first week, the coach singled out about 15 of us in front of the whole team and said he doubted we would make the team, maybe next year, but we were welcome to stay and practice to the selection day. I felt like the biggest reject, but i just loved the game. Four quit that day, and by the end of the next week only three of us remained. We stuck it out to the end of the 6 week try-outs and the last day i turned my equipment in, and the team manager looked at me funny and asked why i was quitting. I said becuase I had just stuck around to practice but the coach had cut me. He said no, my name was on the roster, i was in. I didn't believe it, so i went to the coach and he said "No i never cut you, i just said i doubted that you would make the team, i simply allowed you to cut yourselves, obviously you want to play for this team, i'm glad to have you."

sounds like you don't plan on cutting yourself by not trying again... some guy posted a while ago that he wasn't going to re-apply becuase he didn't get selected due to some foul-up with his PFT score. What a loser reason to walk away from a dream.

keep trying until they flat out let you in just to stop having to read your app.

that's my plan anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.