• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you are married before or during NIFE, can you still select Corpus for Primary?

Heard a rumor (maybe a bad one) that married SNA's can't select Corpus for Primary and are forced to go to TW-5 at Whiting after NIFE. Can anyone confirm or deny if this policy exists? Thanks

croakerfish

pilot
Heard a rumor (maybe a bad one) that married SNA's can't select Corpus for Primary and are forced to go to TW-5 at Whiting after NIFE. Can anyone confirm or deny if this policy exists? Thanks
I don’t know if it’s policy per se but it definitely looks like practice, at least for Navy SNAs. Lots of single guys go to Whiting though. It seems like almost all married studs stay in Pensacola.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A beach in NW Florida is a beach in SE Texas - either way, you just won the lottery. You'll go where you're sent when the time comes- you have no choice in the matter, so don't stress about it. You'll have things you both love and hate at either place the Navy/USMC sends you. But enjoy it, because it's a year in an awesome place you may never come back to. Think about that for a minute- the Navy/USMC sends you to a beach town for a year to learn to fly. No ground job, no one to lead, no E-2 to counsel because he wants to marry a stripper and just bought a mustang at 42% interest. You focus on yourself, your flying, and participate in shenanigans with your buddies. It's not Enid, it's not Del Rio, it's not Fort Rucker, it's the beach.

PMPT

i doubt that's a policy. can't seem to imagine why it would be. knew plenty of married guys that got sent to corpus.

as Swanee says though. you'll have fun no matter what. I've been to both Corpus and Whiting (TW4 for training, did some PTAD stuff at TW5) and there are upsides and downsides to each. You'll have a blast no matter which you go to though, I can almost guarantee that.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
I don't think its necessarily a policy. It's more so a case of very often the married guys/gals don't want to have to move again after they just moved to the Pcola area for NIFE. Also, its more expensive to move the SNA and their spouse than it is to just move a nonmarried SNA and its faster that way too. Like others have said, its more practice than policy, I think the training wings are wary of making it official policy simply due to the fact that they want to reserve the right to send married SNAs to Corpus if necessary due to excessive backups to get into Primary at Whiting.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A beach in NW Florida is a beach in SE Texas - either way, you just won the lottery. You'll go where you're sent when the time comes- you have no choice in the matter, so don't stress about it. You'll have things you both love and hate at either place the Navy/USMC sends you. But enjoy it, because it's a year in an awesome place you may never come back to. Think about that for a minute- the Navy/USMC sends you to a beach town for a year to learn to fly. No ground job, no one to lead, no E-2 to counsel because he wants to marry a stripper and just bought a mustang at 42% interest. You focus on yourself, your flying, and participate in shenanigans with your buddies. It's not Enid, it's not Del Rio, it's not Fort Rucker, it's the beach.
I absolutely agree with all of the above….but really, South Padre Island is kind of the Enid of beaches - and I was a VT-27 guy!

PMPT

I absolutely agree with all of the above….but really, South Padre Island is kind of the Enid of beaches - and I was a VT-27 guy!
a beach is still a beach!

corpus has improved drastically in recent times in any case. a fair number of trendy restaurants and bars and stuff there now. still kind of a grimy shithole, but I genuinely didn't mind it. I had a blast with my mates in VT-27 and VT-28 (i too was a boomer ... boom on em).

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
This is explicitly not policy. Seemingly everybody requests Whiting for primary and married people get priority. Put what you want, and you’ll probably get it.

Source: I joined the Navy to see the world, and the country. Florida was too close to home. I’m married and class up with VT-27 next week.

This is explicitly not policy. Seemingly everybody requests Whiting for primary and married people get priority. Put what you want, and you’ll probably get it.

Source: I joined the Navy to see the world, and the country. Florida was too close to home. I’m married and class up with VT-27 next week.
Thanks-makes sense and good info. Go Boomers