• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IA (Individual Augmentee) and STA-21

That_1_Dud3

So this is a bit tricky.

I am submitting my FY12 STA-21 package this year and am also considering going IA to Djibouti, Africa. What makes it tricky is I would ship off for my IA in Oct. of this year (right before FY12 results I believe) and wouldn't come back until Nov. 2012. If I did get picked up this year and I was in the middle of an IA, would it affect me negatively in any way? I have no clue if my IA command would let me go (are they required to?) or if the STA-21 program would even wait for me. On top of that, I'm not sure how much of a challenge it would be to put in a package again next year, FY13 (if I didn't get picked up FY12) from the middle of Africa!

To make things a bit more complex, I am only 3 classes away from my AA, which if picked up for this IA, I will have to put it on hold and still be just 3 classes away. (Which if I didn't go, I could finish up these three classes in time for FY13 package).

Is IA time beneficial for a package? I just don't want to look back and regret never going and doing this IA, but I also am so determined to get picked up for STA-21. So, IA a bad move for STA-21? Your thoughts?

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
The message states that you shouldn't be allowed to transfer until the results are released. Therefore, your command should have a reason to hold you there. However, if you somehow deploy prior to results coming out, make sure you meet all requirements prior to that date. Get acceptance into a qualifying 4 year university, get them to work out a degree plan with you, make sure all of your medical/dental is squared away ... etc. Once all of this is finished, your STA-21 acceptance will come in the form of hard orders. This means that the money has been allocated already and you will be going, unless you get them cancelled. As for next year and the AA, I think the IA (at least everything I've read up to this point) will more then make up for the three courses you are missing towards your AA. This is just my take, maybe somebody else has more real-life experience on this subject and will be more helpful.

Good Luck.

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
I'm a FY11 Core guy, and I was a FY10 SWO/IP Alt. I went on IA in '09 and found out i made Alt in Iraq, did my physical/university app and waited it out, if i was pulled up to the primary the IA unit would have had to release me, since the PCS orders will supercede everything else. pretty sure the IA was very much a plus when i applied again. hope all that helps