• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I Love Helos

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well that's refreshing! But also the first time I've heard it. Tons of cool helo jobs out there where I saw some ridiculous amount of hours and simply sighed and closed the website. :(

Refer to my previous post...you didn't plan your exit strategy. That's not meant as a dig, but just what it is. I've known RAG IPs who have known they wanted to go to HEMS/HAA so they took every weekend event to boost their hours. There's a sacrifice at some point, but if you plan ahead, you can determine when that sacrifice happens.

For me, that sacrifice happened after I retired and I'm earning what I'm earning, which I would argue is less than my actual skill-set. But I also only work half the year, so meh.

Plus there's flight time, which has varying levels of value to different people. Personally, I value more flight time, so for now that's a sacrifice, but again, plan your future, and you can be your own destiny.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Consider a transition to the ARNG. Most guard units do water bucket training annually and fight fires periodically. Recently we had a fairly junior M-day PC get picked up for a forestry job flying UH-1s.
I’m what you might call and antique, but it if the ARNG is hiring...:cool:
Kidding aside, one of the great mistakes in my life was not running to a Guard aviation unit when I came back in.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I’m what you might call and antique, but it if the ARNG is hiring...:cool:
Kidding aside, one of the great mistakes in my life was not running to a Guard aviation unit when I came back in.
I had a 9 year break in service and was 42 when I joined the guard. I've got 22 good years and over 6000 points. I'm just sticking around because A) I still like it and B) I'm packing away points 365/year as an AGR.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I had a 9 year break in service and was 42 when I joined the guard. I've got 22 good years and over 6000 points. I'm just sticking around because A) I still like it and B) I'm packing away points 365/year as an AGR.
You...da...man!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Refer to my previous post...you didn't plan your exit strategy.

Not true, I've been planning this shit for years. I've got plan A, B, C.....K. Helos just didn't seem like a very feasible option and, for the most part, seems like a pretty big pay cut without much room for growth compared to "the show" (if I'm way off here, show me the light). Either way, not everyone is a RAG IP, despite good paper and quals. You know..."timing."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not true, I've been planning this shit for years. I've got plan A, B, C.....K. Helos just didn't seem like a very feasible option and, for the most part, seems like a pretty big pay cut without much room for growth compared to "the show" (if I'm way off here, show me the light). Either way, not everyone is a RAG IP, despite good paper and quals. You know..."timing."

I understand. I actually picked the RAG IP example because their time is actually much lower than the TRACOM. And yes, I was a bit over-the-top with my statement, but the point is to find a way to get what you want, whatever that might be. That's the single-biggest takeaway I've got from this journey. That and networking.

I agree, there's less potential to move up on the helo side, depending on the job. For HAA, one way to move up is to become an IP (hourly to salary). The next step is management.

There are other helo jobs that pay more, but how much is obviously dependent on the job. But at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself what you would be happy doing. Is it airlines (whatever that means...regional->Show, etc) or flying helicopters. Both are in high demand, and both have their own level of satisfaction for any given individual. I just caution you on pursuing a path because one will pay more. Make sure the pay (or pain) is worth the actual job satisfaction.

My old program is hiring - H145/BK-117 - East BFE but the flying is fun - if you are a mil trained aviator they will talk to you with 1,000 total time...

No, not likely. The listed times are insurance minimums. They can play with +/- 100-ish hours or so, but not 1,000. If they're willing to take you with only 1K TT, a big question one should be asking is, "why?" And that's not a dig against Metro. However, there are other helo jobs that will take that time which can help you build time and move on to other pastures.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I just caution you on pursuing a path because one will pay more.

Well, this is the eternal question. Do I want my cake and eat it, too? Of course. Is the grass always greener? Maybe. But is it really? Sometimes? Contentedness is a never-ending struggle for some, I am no exception. But if I can be content, at least temporarily, doing this disassociated SWO staff trash, then anywhere is up!

I have not heard great things about QOL on the commercial rotary side, but I have heard the flying can be awesome. The opposite seems to be true with the airlines. As a former engineer, I see it as a function of gas tank size. Perhaps I can go to the show and instruct rotary once or twice a week on the side...or buy my own helo?! :confused:

chart.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Show will always pay more (long term), so there's no competing with that. And obviously the public needs the airlines to have qualified pilots, so now's the time. I'm not a Show hater, so if it's what you want, go for it.

There's many different pockets of commercial rotary. The over-arching "negative" thing seems to be the need to be away from home for some portion of time. Depending on life at home, that might not be a big deal. It seems like the farther away from home, the more it pays. Or if you live in the north east and do corporate. But then you have to live in the north east.

HEMS/HAA has made significant strides in upping the safety record. Individual companies also have varying levels of safety buffers, so picking the right company can be key. That said, it seems like the various big names are all on the same page with trying to keep currency at the forefront. QOL will vary at each base, regardless of company.

I was going to start typing up a thread about what I've experienced so far sometime soon, probably when I hit 6 months and I'm bored at work one day. I was fortunate to get to a good base, but I also had been researching the base 18+ months out because HEMS was one of my top three prospective post-retirement options. Again, it's all about networking.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Gatordev curious if your new HEMS peers are all prior .mil or are you seeing some civ trained pilots work their way in...

Of all the ones that I've personally interacted with (recruiter, corporate, new hire training, on the job), only one hasn't had some sort of military background, but even he had a government pay for his hours (cop). They're certainly out there, but so far few and far between.