• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I failed the ASTB, what now?

Nfech

you need to study, and to be honest I have yet to see a person go from 1's to a qualifying score on the ASTB so you have work to do.
I didnt really study for the ASTB portion of the test, but I get what you mean. Thank you for your reply.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So I come from a non technical background. I got my degree in political science and finished with a 2.79 GPA which is pretty bad for applying for this sort of thing from what Ive heard. I have not taken Calc and the most Physics I've ever taken was from a freshmen highschool course. I only used one math study guide from here and I forget where I found it. I think I studied semi-consistently for two weeks. I only studied for the math portion but I didnt really do a run through to see if I could answer the questions really fast.
Look, you need to put in the study hours or select a different career path. I was a History major with a middling GPA and got picked up for AOCS on my first try. Your degree has nothing to do with the test, your desire does. That said, there are other services and other flying opportunities. Have you taken the Army SIFT? Also, there is always the infantry!

Good luck to you.

Nfech

Why did you blow off a test that could impact your career?
I didn't think that the joystick and throttle stuff wouldn't be that hard because I had experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I come from a navy background where my father was a pilot and mom was a NFO in the Navy so I talked to them about Naval Aviation material before so I figured I had a good knowledge of the Aviation questions on the ASTB. I had no idea that the drone part of the test would be so hard. I studied the math section because I figured that not only would it make up most of the ASTB-E test as a whole, but I knew that I have struggled with math a lot in the past.
I will make sure to put in the study time if I decide to take it again.

Nfech

Look, you need to put in the study hours or select a different career path. I was a History major with a middling GPA and got picked up for AOCS on my first try. Your degree has nothing to do with the test, your desire does. That said, there are other services and other flying opportunities. Have you taken the Army SIFT? Also, there is always the infantry!

Good luck to you.
Thank you for your comment. I've thought about the Army path before. I wasn't sure how that worked because I looked online for the required test scores for Army, and it said that I had to have at least a 110 ASVAB score to be considered for pilot. I looked up the highest score I could get on the ASVAB and it said 99 which didn't make sense to me. Is SIFT a separate test? And there is no way in hell that I would survive infantry. I don't think that I am the infantry type.

Nfech

Good luck to you.
Also I am open to any aviation option possible. I know that I am passionate about aviation, I'm just figuring out what I can do with that passion and where I can best apply it.

chillygu

Thank you for your comment. I've thought about the Army path before. I wasn't sure how that worked because I looked online for the required test scores for Army, and it said that I had to have at least a 110 ASVAB score to be considered for pilot. I looked up the highest score I could get on the ASVAB and it said 99 which didn't make sense to me. Is SIFT a separate test? And there is no way in hell that I would survive infantry. I don't think that I am the infantry type.

You need a GT score of at least 110. It's a subcategory from the overall ASVAB score. The SIFT exam is the Army's version of the pilot officer exam. And to my knowledge, the SIFT does not have a simulator test portion. It has 7 sections: simple drawings, hidden figures, Army aviation information, spatial apperception, math skills, reading comprehension, and mechanical comprehension.

Nfech

So heres an update. Took it again. Better ASTB scores 2/4/2 but OAR was 33. Im considering looking at a different career path because I actually studied a lot this time and still didnt pass. I know probably most people on her may not be religious but God may have different plans for me. Thank you for all the help. Y'all are awesome.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So heres an update. Took it again. Better ASTB scores 2/4/2 but OAR was 33. Im considering looking at a different career path because I actually studied a lot this time and still didnt pass. I know probably most people on her may not be religious but God may have different plans for me. Thank you for all the help. Y'all are awesome.
You are young. Consider retaking the ASTB/OAR again, consider officer careers in other services, or consider enlisting and working toward a commission in a few years.

If you are religious, by the way, the Navy and other branches have a strong chaplain officer corps.

GroundPounder

Free advice, and probably worth the price!

If you did all you can do, and did not leave anything on the table when it come to test prep, then maybe your're brain is not set up to be do well at this particular skill set. It probably means that some other skill set is what you can knock out of the park, and would come naturally to you.

Good luck, work hard, and you will find your niche.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are religious, by the way, the Navy and other branches have a strong chaplain officer corps.
To enter the Chaplain Corps, you need a baccalaureate degree and additionally you need a graduate degree in theological or religious studies.

Nfech

To enter the Chaplain Corps, you need a baccalaureate degree and additionally you need a graduate degree in theological or religious studies.
I have a baccalaureate degree from Mount St. Mary's University in Political Science and I practically have a Theology minor minus a few classes. But yeah I'm Catholic so in order to be a chaplain I would have to become a priest because they don't allow deacons to become chaplains apparently.