• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I am a recent SNA select... eye sight is 20/40 correctable to 20/15, but it may be getting worse.

BMW_Z4_Rules

I am worried i wont pass the next eye exam at OCS.... is it already to late to do PRK? My recruiter has never heard about the 3 month waiver. What happens if i fail at OCS with a 20/50 correctable to 20/15? Will i be offered NFO? Will they offer PRK? Should i just do prk now on my own dime.. i know i have at least 4-7 months before OCS.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Start doing eye exercises. They do work, to some extent. You likely won't be seeing 20/20, but they should help keep you under 20/40...for the time being, anyway.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I did PRK on my own dime. It was worth it.

Should you? Depends on how your vision actually is and how badly you want to be the guy at the controls.

exNavyOffRec

I have only seen one circumstance where a pro rec was able to get PRK after selection, and the PM said that was only because he had over a year before going to OCS.

Because you are not already in the wait is 6 months after surgery, you will more than likely have to roll the dice, or get surgery and probably lose the pro rec.

BMW_Z4_Rules

I am likely to be able to get another pro rec? I think i was 90 out of 104 on this last board. I am not sure if their is a ranking system or something of if that placement is random. I am fairly sure i can get NFO.

exNavyOffRec

I am likely to be able to get another pro rec? I think i was 90 out of 104 on this last board. I am not sure if their is a ranking system or something of if that placement is random. I am fairly sure i can get NFO.

The order they are listed in is not the order of selection, it is just random.

Unknown, generally the chance of someone getting a spot after turning one down is slim.

BMW_Z4_Rules

Update... okay .. i just got my PQ letter. I am going to have more than 6 months before OCS it looks like. My recruiter says it is up to me if i want to get PRK done now.. wait the 6 months and try and get the waiver before my leave date. I am thinking i should go for it.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My opinion only: Turning down your pro-rec now for PRK, is a high-stakes (long shot) gamble with your flying/commissiong future. Even if "your own dime" PRK works out, there may not be a 2nd pro rec available, and you could be left on the outside looking in.:eek:
NFO Wings.png
SNFO is an excellent & interesting gig, and SWO will give you a commission & awesome world travel. It's the old "bird in the hand....bush" program, your call!;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

Update... okay .. i just got my PQ letter. I am going to have more than 6 months before OCS it looks like. My recruiter says it is up to me if i want to get PRK done now.. wait the 6 months and try and get the waiver before my leave date. I am thinking i should go for it.

Why does your recruiter think 6 months before OCS? when do you graduate? and the 6 month wait after surgery is from the date of the surgery.

What date did you put as "date available"?

Sonog

pilot
Is the chance of being redesignated NFO worse than possibly losing your opportunity to go to OCS and start your career as an officer in aviation? I have a couple of buddies who got bumped to NFO at OCS because of eyesight and they were really bummed at first and did everything in their power to try to retest and get their pilot designator back, but then when it didn't work out they realized they still had a kick ass career lined up for them still in the Navy. Just something to consider.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
NFO is f'n awesome. You'll love it.

That being said, if being a stick jockey is your no-shit dream, why settle for your second choice? If you roll the dice and go for the PRK, will you be okay if things don't work out and you emerge empty handed? If you decide to play it safe and go NFO, will you always think 'what if...'?

There's always the NFO-to-pilot transition option after your first JO tour...

Do some soul searching, make your call, and stick with it.

[/devilsadvocate]

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot

I had Lasik done last December - so my 6 month wait time was finished in June. Went to the July board, got picked up SNA and pro-rec'd in August, and didn't get all my paperwork cleared until late October. I'd plan for about 2-3 months after that initial 6 month wait just to get all the tests complete and paperwork done - and that's not even for a permanent waiver. For me - I got a temporary PQ from N3M, but haven't had my waiver officially reviewed by NAMI (they won't do this until I'm at OCS... or so I was told). In any case - the process for getting through after PRK would be rough and I guarantee it'll take longer than you think - and that's if everything goes perfectly. Granted Lasik is newer than PRK so there might be a few more hoops to jump through than PRK, but I can't imagine many.

With 20/40 you can still get cleared for SNA, so IMHO I'd say get to OCS while you have the opportunity.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
With 20/40 you can still get cleared for SNA, so IMHO I'd say get to OCS while you have the opportunity.

Agree, and FWIW I was 20/40 at my first flight physical when applying for SNA in 2008. Just had my annual eye exam and guess what, I'm still 20/40. I would risk getting bumped to NFO @ OCS instead of rolling the dice with PRK.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
If you go to OCS, and you really are borderline and one of your eyes is found worse than 20/40, they can redesignate you... needs of the Navy and all that, or you can drop, which I know some people do that are dead set on being a pilot.

And FYI worse than 20/40 by the NAMI Guide is if you are not better than or equal to 20/40-0. Meaning, you can't miss any letters on the 20/40 line - so consider all of that if you are dead set on being a pilot and you don't think you can get 20/40 -0 or better because you are borderline.