• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting Vests

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I realize we're a ways out from hunting season...buuut, who wants to talk about hunt?! Actually, spring bear season is just getting under way, so it isn't too early to talk about hunting! Wakie wakie...

I'm looking for a good hunting vest, one that comes in orange. I've been using an army ACU pattern load bering vest, which is pretty handy but i'd like something a bit lighter and less bulky. Generally I like to carry with me a GPS, range finder, binoculars, map, compass, water (usually use a camelback), a radio, a knife or three, pistol (.44 in chest harness), SPOT, small first aid kit... and not a lot else. I don't tend to be more than a mile or so from my ATV, so I don't need a lot else.

What other kit do you guys like to carry?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not a hunting per se, but have you looked into the mountain hardware ski patrol style vests? They keep everything close, and are designed to be used one armed. They look a little goofy, but really, who are you trying to impress in the backwoods?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you ever considered one of the many configurable tactical vests out there? I haven't used one for hunting so I can't testify. They may be a bit heavy or warm. Depends what your climate is I guess. Thanks to molle and Velcro you can hang almost anything on them in any number of pouches in just the place you want it. Even a holster for that hog leg. Only problem for you is I have never seen one in orange. Fortunately that isn't required in my state.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Wabbit Season?

rabbitseason_zps1a6a15c0.png

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
I've been using this one from LLBean for a couple years and have been pleased with it.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78579?feat=hunting vest-SR0&page=men-s-upland-vest-pack&attrValue_0=Tan/Hunter Orange

Man, that thing looks pretty handy! I think that's what I'm going to go with. Thanks for posting it!

Not sure, but I think rabbits are pretty much year round up here. I need to get a few...want a hat. Goal for this year is another caribou though, wife wants a pelt for use on an outdoor lounge chair...and I want a freezer full of 'bou meat.

Not a duck hunter, but maybe that needs to change!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Have you ever considered one of the many configurable tactical vests out there? I haven't used one for hunting so I can't testify. They may be a bit heavy or warm. Depends what your climate is I guess. Thanks to molle and Velcro you can hang almost anything on them in any number of pouches in just the place you want it. Even a holster for that hog leg. Only problem for you is I have never seen one in orange. Fortunately that isn't required in my state.

Orange isn't required here, yet. But I figure that it wouldn't hurt and the wife seems to think that it's dangerous out where I go...not that i'm likely to see anyone other than the guys in my party and maybe five other folks, maybe.

I use a tactical vest now, but it's a bit heavier than I really need.