• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting Season at Whiting!!!!!

Rubiks06

pilot
The nice thing about Whiting is that the only people that are allowed to do it are active duty, retired from active duty or contract workers. So the yahoo factor is down a little bit. The other thing thats nice about this set up is it runs parallel with the current hunting season but the antler restrictions do not apply. It sounds like if this works they may actually open it up a little more. Only time will tell.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree.

I hunted while going through HT's and I always wondered why Whiting didn't allow Deer and/or Turkey hunting.

Eglin is where I hunted a few times and it's rittled with civilians running dogs. That will be nice that everyone sans civilians will be allowed to hunt.

Are the OLFs going to be open for hunting as well?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
They have gun season here at NAS Meridian! Woohooo! Seeing the deer is almost guarenteed! The jet noise does not even phase these suckers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are the OLFs going to be open for hunting as well?

I haven't heard anything one way or the other, but I know the VT OLFs don't have near the problem that NSE/NDZ does (and apparently NPA).

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I'll never forget my first goggle flight at the HT's. Sitting on deck looking towards the trees, eyes everywhere. I never realized it was that bad.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They have gun season here at NAS Meridian! Woohooo! Seeing the deer is almost guarenteed! The jet noise does not even phase these suckers.
Buddy of mine hunted when we were down there. It was a source of constant amusement to hear him complain about being in the bush for hours and not seeing anything after I'd just seen 3 deer on the drive in to work. I think he ended up bagging a couple on base, though.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Apparently the season starts this Saturday and only about 20 people have signed up. Hunting on the weekends only.

whitman

Post updates from this weekend's hunt at Whiting if you're going. I can't go until after Christmas so will have to live vicariously through you guys! Good luck. Remember, aim small, miss small.

Rubiks06

pilot
Im excited. Drove by the spots im signed up for this weekend and saw three deer yesterday and four this afternoon. I may not see crap tomorrow but there is promise.

whitman

Im excited. Drove by the spots im signed up for this weekend and saw three deer yesterday and four this afternoon. I may not see crap tomorrow but there is promise.

I thought you couldn't sign up for spots, and you could only sign up to hunt. I was under the impression that the morning of the hunt, everyone meets up at the huntmaster and signs up first come first serve.......How'd everyone do?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously....if this flying thing doesn't work out for me im all about "herd management"

Don't laugh...I knew a guy who had a weird heart condition pop up in his first tour and was down for flying so he ended managing wildlife at Oceana before he moved on (his choice due to prior experience).

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Don't laugh...I knew a guy who had a weird heart condition pop up in his first tour and was down for flying so he ended managing wildlife at Oceana before he moved on (his choice due to prior experience).
So he became the Oceana Park Ranger? I haven't been there, but I have got to imagine that things could be worse.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So he became the Oceana Park Ranger? I haven't been there, but I have got to imagine that things could be worse.

He was quite content considering he wasn't going to fly and he resigned himself to that fact and used Oceana position to set him up for transition. He was pretty stoic about it.