• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting Season at Whiting!!!!!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No kidding, it's true. They have 27 trails open starting on the 15th of this month. $30 to the Liberty Center will reserve your spot...

Only downside is that's it's only for bow hunting (to include crossbows, however). No live ammo/firearms allowed.

Looks like CNATRA is doing something about the problem of T-34s striking deer on T&Gs like the Class B mishap at NAS Pensacola ealier last year. Happy hunting!

~D

phrogpilot73

And here I thought you were going to talk about chasing down deer with the mighty TH-57. Don't laugh, my onwing used to do it all the time enroute to the OLF's...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Just don't chase the llamas at the llama farm.

edit: Oops, I meant alpacas. (Or however you spell it.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How long are they doing this? Can't go this w-end.

I would guess for a while. The deer have been a major problem for us over the last 6 months+. It's about time we're doing this. I'm tired of being labeled a sub-par aviator because someone hit a deer in the flare and on roll out.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How long are they doing this? Can't go this w-end.

Actually it can.

They had hunting at Andrews and I assume still do. As a safety of flight issue they can open and close the season at will based upon the number of deer sightings next to or on aircraft operating environments. Wasn't unusual for my guys to have a week or two of bow season any time of the year. Not a bow hunter myself and that's all that was eligible.

Rubiks06

pilot
They wont be able to open and close it at whim. Well let me be more specific. They can close it at will and open it at will during the state run hunting season. At least that is what they have laid out in their regs right now. They should be able to control the deer population and still stay inside the confines of the statewide hunting seasons. Like mentioned above its only on the weekends. South Field will be closed to hunting on Sundays for recoveries and their will be two hunts a day. Right now I believe there are only 25 sections and only one person can hunt in these sections at a time. I guess if it gets popular they may open the sections up to more people at a time but its just a trial period right now.
They have been paying someone to come in and kill the deer quietly in the night. The way they explained it to me was that it was a better deal for them to have us pay them 30 bucks a head and sign up to kill the deer for them. We get to hunt relatively un-pressured deer and they get rid of their deer problem making everyone happy. They should have done this a long time ago. Quantico, Ft Belvoir, Kingsbay, Ft Picket, AP Hill and Andrews are just a few of many bases that allow this. Some are more restrictive than others.

FlybyWired06

Why even charge $30 though? If they were paying someone before, it's still better for them even if it's free. Is there some sort of paperwork processing fee for this or something? I'd be all about it if it were free...

Rubiks06

pilot
thirty bucks you can handle. Ive been hunting this area for the past year and a half and i tell you its nice to have an area thats not open to the public to hunt non pressured deer. No antler restrictions and not have to worry about all of the other yahoos. All of the other public
WMA's in the area have a minimum of 5 inches of antler and the one that im currently hunting has a minimum of 3 points a side. Not really sure what the 30 is for but I assure you its worth it.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
They have been paying someone to come in and kill the deer quietly in the night. The way they explained it to me was that it was a better deal for them to have us pay them 30 bucks a head and sign up to kill the deer for them. We get to hunt relatively un-pressured deer and they get rid of their deer problem making everyone happy. They should have done this a long time ago. Quantico, Ft Belvoir, Kingsbay, Ft Picket, AP Hill and Andrews are just a few of many bases that allow this. Some are more restrictive than others.

I talked to the airfield manager at Ft Pickett a few weeks ago about said program. There is no money involved and if that particular airfield or base qualifies with the state then conventional hunting means are out the window (i.e. using a spot light and shooting from your vehicle is OK). However, any meat you don't use they require you to donate to Hunters for the Hungry or another similar program. They usually do this right after the states deer season so recreation hunting is not disturbed. The airfield/base is also strict about gutting/cleaning the deer on base (has to be gutted off base because it attracts buzzards = possible bird strike, is their thought) and disposing of the carcass/guts off base. Every state and every base will run it diferently. Bottom line, it's a good deal and I wish I had time to partake. Keep this in mind though: I would be comfortable with me and maybe 2 other buds in ONE pickup, add another pickup full of yay-hoos (remember civilians can apply for this also) with high power rifles and spotlights and that could be a dangerous situation.