• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HT Question

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think there are very tangible benefits to the IFR training in the HTs, managing the ILS, VOR, TACAN, NDB etc helps build the foundation for managing tactical equiptment in a dynamic environment. It aso gives a firm foundation of IFR knowledge since you wont have much other opportunity to hone those skills. Additional low level etc can be done in a fleet bird

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Agreed. I think there is a huge benefit to any aviator getting that sort of intense training. It makes them all around better rounded aviatiors, not to mention all the stuff that skid mentioned. I have never HAD to use an NDB, but I know how if I need to because I have been trained how to. I may never need it in the Navy, but who knows later on...
I just hate the stump the chump stuff. If you need to know it, fine, you should have it down cold. If it is something that isn't time critical that can be looked up, then look it up. Wasted brain cells...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agreed. I think there is a huge benefit to any aviator getting that sort of intense training. It makes them all around better rounded aviatiors, not to mention all the stuff that skid mentioned. I have never HAD to use an NDB, but I know how if I need to because I have been trained how to. I may never need it in the Navy, but who knows later on...
I just hate the stump the chump stuff. If you need to know it, fine, you should have it down cold. If it is something that isn't time critical that can be looked up, then look it up. Wasted brain cells...

For what it's worth, my RI-17/18 wasn't as in the weeds as Arkane describes his, so it obviously depends on the IP. It was thorough, but not retarded-thorough.

As for NDBs, it's funny you mention that. I've never shot a NDB proper after the HTs, but there was lots of ASW I did which used the same principles and understanding things like dip-error would actually be beneficial.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth, my RI-17/18 wasn't as in the weeds as Arkane describes his, so it obviously depends on the IP. It was thorough, but not retarded-thorough.

As for NDBs, it's funny you mention that. I've never shot a NDB proper after the HTs, but there was lots of ASW I did which used the same principles and understanding things like dip-error would actually be beneficial.

dip error? That term doesn't ring a bell, at least not associated with ASW.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I4402=RI-15 (Airspace) I think this used to be the RI-14
I4404=RI-17 (Pre check) The next 2 flights after this is the Transfam check ride and the INST check.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So you're saying that it's not important to memorize the conditions in which pregnant women can fly?

If you got asked that and it was a serious question, that's ghey. But sometimes IPs will push your knowledge a little bit, just to see how much you know/studied. I remember my FAM 12 ride in Primary, right before my solo check. It followed an absolutely horrendous FAM 11 offwing flight when it came to knowledge (or lack thereof on my part), so I buckled down and studied for the FAM 12. By the end of the flight, my onwing was asking me the effective range of the SA-7 because he ran out of things to ask.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have never HAD to use an NDB, but I know how if I need to because I have been trained how to. I may never need it in the Navy, but who knows later on......
NDBs are a piece of cake....plug it into the FMS and let the autopilot fly it......much easier and more accurate too.....plus there is no need to monitor that annoying morse signal....:D