• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSL at Mayport To HSM at NAS Jax?

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
I'm looking for orders to HSL in Mayport, but I am hearing they may be moving to NAS Jax (which seems to be on the other side of the city). I'm looking to buy a house when arriving, but am concerned to buy next to mayport if all the HSL guys are moving across town. Does anybody have any idea as to the time frame of this transition? Thanks for the help.

MasterBates

Quite honestly, when I checked into HSL-40 in Feb 03, I was told that if I went to 42 or 46 that they would be moving to JAX during my tour. Never happened on time.

Honestly, look at the Northside/Oceanway.

I lived basically at 9A & US-17 right near the airport.
23 miles to NS Mayport, about 40 min with normal traffic barring gate backups.
24 miles to NAS JAX, about 30 min (on highway for more of the trip)
36 miles to KIngs Bay as well.

Not a bad place to live, and unless the prices have really come down, its hard to live as a ENS/JG without roommates or being DINK at the beach or Intracoastal West.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I thought the master plan was to move all the Helo squadrons to Norfolk?

Nope. The HSC squadrons will all be in Norfolk, but the HSM squadrons will still be in Jax. I know they started constrution on the new HSM hangar over at NAS, but nothing more than that. From what I understand, some squadrons, including HSL-60 (the reserve sqdn), are to stay at Mayport for a while. I'm pretty sure I won't move to NAS before I leave in 2010.

Circle K

pilot
If you get orders to East Coast Bravos you'll be in Mayport the whole time. Although, based on your other thread about your desire to transition to the Romeo you have a good chance of being at NAS Jax at some point. I agree with MB(and I better if I ever hope to sell my house), Northside is a great place for between the bases. I bought a new house a year ago. With the market the way it is right now, you can get the same thing I have for almost 10% less. We have people in our neighborhood that work at both bases. (I live one exit closer to Mayport than MB did).
Long story short with the squadrons, some are moving, some are staying. In the end there will be 5 CSG squadrons at NAS Jax that deploy as a squadron a la present day HS and 4 Expeditionary squadrons that will still operate on the Det method like current HSL, they'll support things like counter drug ops and ESGs. The first squadron to stand up at Jax is HSM-70 and that's not for another year. They will be built from the ground up. I'm pretty sure 72 (the next one) is a ground up one too. Then some squadrons from Mayport will move 44 becomes 74, 46 becomes 76. HSL-40 becomes HSM-40 sometime in 2010 but stays at Mayport. The way it was explained to me was if your in a squadron that is moving, when it moves, you'll either get TAD orders to stay with a bravo squadron if you're PRD is sooner, or you'll be retrained and move with the squadron if you're a later.
Both Greg and I and more than likely you if you're close to selecting will finish our first sea tour firmly planted in shoe land.

Circle K

pilot
Such a pleasant way to refer to NRB. Its not that bad.

Too many walks from Deployed Satellite Parking or the back of the Fire Station this week. Now if we could get rid of the contract police and resurect NAF Mayport, it would be great. (We'll keep the golf course and Bogey's too)

MasterBates

Rob, it was some time in 03-04.. it was there when I was in the RAG with bad hours, then it was gone when I came back from cruise. Speical event only (aka, catering)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Too many walks from Deployed Satellite Parking or the back of the Fire Station this week. Now if we could get rid of the contract police and resurect NAF Mayport, it would be great. (We'll keep the golf course and Bogey's too)

Hell yeah, since we're the only ones who eat at Bogey's anyway. Isn't that digital sign saying "NO PARKING ON THE GRASS" awesome? You ever notice that the parking lot where the rent a cops park at the police station is...gasp..DIRT.