• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How tough is it to dual designate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I plan on going into flight surgery. I have a couple of questions (to start, haha)

1. I was curious as to where I can find regs about a dual designation as an aviator. My eyes are bad but correctable to 20/15, so I think that's going to keep me out of a fixed wing, but what about helos? Anything you guys have would be great.

2. Also, what's the latest on the eye correstion surgeries? Do they still disqualify flight crews if performed?

Thanks alot

Jeff29

Science Project
The problem that you will have with dual designation is your age. The medical community will want to get their time out of you before they let you apply for a redesigantion (unless, of course, there is a special program for flight surgeons).

My guess is that you'd have better luck going the other way (i.e. become an aviator first and then apply for a flight surgeon program).

RJ

quote:My guess is that you'd have better luck going the other way (i.e. become an aviator first and then apply for a flight surgeon program).

The possibility exists to just go in as a General Medical Officer (GMO) after med school. I will check and see if I can try and get an SNA slot as a GMO. Not sure how familiar you guys are with the medical "pipeline" if you will, but the 2 ways to become a flight surgeon are doing a residency (RAM) or a 6 month course. Time of course is the issue here. Not sure I can do the 6 mo. course as a GMO or if I have to be board certified in something else first. I'll see what I can do; I've got 4 years of med school to find out what I have to do, other than get PRK or similar.

One more dumb question, other than a recriuter, where is a good source of info with regard to regs and such? I'm still searching and becoming more familiar with the forum, but what's the process for getting a waiver after PRK? Also the rate of acceptance for this waiver (the bigger quesion of the 2).

I can see there's alot of info here, and thank you guys for the help.

RJ

EDIT: for clarity

Edited by - RJ on 04/14/2002 22:58:54

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I spoke to the Marine OSO's here in Houston, College Station, Austin, Dallas and Norman, OK and to my suprise, the Marine Corps is accepting candidates with 20/40 correctable and PRK is waiverable. The Navy is the same if not more relaxed.
I've known many flight Docs but two stick out because both of them are winged aviators. The first one, Doc C, did not tell the Navy he was an MD and was accepted to flight school. He went through the entire program got winged, flew F18's and is now working for NASA. He was 30 when he got to Beeville. Once the Navy accepted the fact that he was a Dr, they did not force him to become a flight surgeon but did let him serve extra duty at the medical clinic while he was a flight student. He was an anomaly but a very interesting individual.
Doc A, was a flight Doc for many years and was a senior LCDR when he got the opportunity to go to flight school. He is one of 6 retrained Docs to pilot in the Navy today. He's currently at Pax River doing Aeromedical testing on several aircraft. He was 36 when he started flight training. Doc A had to fight long and hard to get "lucky" enough to earn his wings.
The opportunity is there but it is not easily attainable. All flight Docs have to spend some time learning to fly a T-34 or TH-57 but never enough to designate them as aviators. Just enough to give them an understanding of aviation. I hope this information helps. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.