• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to deal with the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

hi guys,

i'm interested in how all of you (especially the ones just getting out of college) warmed your parents up to the idea of deciding to become a naval aviator and joining the navy in general. my parents more or less had the impression that since i was going to college i would end up in a nice 9-5 desk job and live in the same town my whole life, have a wife, two kids a dog etc., where they would be able to visit me until they were old and gray. Not that my parents are against the military, (my dad was prior enlisted army), but mainly because i'm going to school for civil engineering and they can't understand that if i would join why i wouldn't want to enter the CE corps (which is definitely my second choice on the app). They're basically scared to death of their only son entering a profession that they consider one of the most dangerous in the world. I could see their argument if I just woke up one day and said i wanted to become a navy flyer, but i've been interested in aviation since i was about 10 years old. I've taken flying lessons and know in my heart that its not a fleeting interest. Anyway, i'm sure you guys get the point so i won't make you suffer through my mindless rambling anymore Seriously though, thanks for all your help.

-jim

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh yes, speaking of airshows. For all who are interested and in the area, there will be one at NAS El Sweato....oops, I mean El Centro on March 9. And of course, the Blues will be there. Just for everyones info. Take care.

--Steve Wilkins

Grunt

When they see your enthusiasm they will warm up to the idea. My Mom is still sweating my time as an Infantryman and I haven't trained to fire shots in anger in almost 2 years. That's what Mom's are for.

Mike the Grunt

Jeff29

Science Project
Jim,

Are you applying for the CEC Collegiate Program? I was in the program for almost two years, have been a CEC officer for just over two years, and am now transferring to aviation. If you don't get picked up for aviation (or decide against it), the CEC is the best deal in the Navy. If you have any questions, let me know.

Jim

Jeff,

Yeah I'll be applying for the CEC scholarship if I find out that I'm not medically qualified for pilot or otherwise don't get accepted for it (I go to MEPS this Saturday). Anyway, CEC does sound like a great deal. Do you know if the CEC scholarship pays more than the BDCP program or are they about the same? What type of projects did you work on in your two years, were they with the Seabees or otherwise? One thing that sounded interesting to me was the underwater construction program, but I think that wasn't an option until one reenlists after their first 4-year committment. Thanks a lot for offering the info, and good luck in your training.

-jim

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Hi Guys and Gals,
My Dad was USAF 26 years and flew combat in three wars, so when I left for home to join the Navy I never gave it a second thought. Until the night before I left and I discovered my mother crying at the kitchen table.
Look, this is a dangerous business, but it is your life and your decision. Soon you will have your own family and be making your own way in the world. I think that parents often make the mistake of either having unrealistic or unreasonable expectations of their children. You cannot vicariously live what your parents expected you to do. You need to do what is right for you and I'll bet they will be just tickled pink when you pin thos gold bars on and later the "Wings of Gold" Good luck!

Regards,

Kaman

Gator

Jeff,
What is the CEC scholarship program? I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think that it will pay more than BDCP in the long run. However, I don't anything about CEC, so you never know.

Jim

Gator,

CEC stands for civil engineering corps. The scholarship is pretty much just like the BDCP but I think it pays a little more (but I don't believe as much as the nuclear power program). I'm gonna try to get into the program if I find out that my eyes or anything else aren't up to pilot standards.

On a side note: Its funny that a lot of you guys are University of Florida graduates. The gators have been my favorite college team for as long as I can remember. Funny thing is I'm up here in northeast PA in the heart of nittany lion country and i'm often the subject of harrassment and ridicule, especially now that spurrier left. I'm looking forward to getting down to Florida next summer (hopefully) and joining all the other gator fans.

-jim

Gator

Jim,
In the event that you don't know, under BDCP you will start out getting paid as an E-3. With your allowance for housing and food (which is non-taxable)you wouls make around $2,100 a month before taxes. Plus you get all other benefits, such as medical and dental. You also have the chance for getting promoted. Good luck with whatever you decided.

Jeff29

Science Project
The CEC Scholarship is for engineering, math, and physics majors. You begin by receiving full pay and benefits of an E-3 (like BDCP). After 1 year you are "promoted" to E-4, and from gradution through OCS, you are an E-5. You can also get promotions by introducing people to the program. I have a friend who was actually getting E-7 pay; he took a pay cut when he got commissioned.

You can only be in the CEC scholarship program for 2 years. The CEC also uses the BDCP program for applicants with more than 2 years until graduation.

Jim, if you have any more questions, send me an email.

Steven Ruiz

I have a family question as well....

My girlfriend, who's a brilliant person wants to know what the navy life is like. She is a very independent woman and a corporate businesswoman. She works in marketing and the company she works for, all of her VPs, director and managers adore her. She has been promoted several times in the 3 years. She has a huge and lucrative future in the corporate world. She is a very hard working person!
Now, Question.....What do most officer wives do? Are many employed? I remember when i was in, enlisted, i did not see many officer wives working! This is a very complicated situation that I are in. She will not be a house wife. Well, maybe when we first have kids, but after that, she has goals of her own, like moving up the corporate ladder. I tell her unfortunately, i can not guarantee her that she will have a job because we all know here that you can end up stationed anywhere in the world!!
John? Frumby? David? I need everyones help.

I feel very selfish because i am going to achive one of my personal goals/dreams but if she comes with me, i dont want to rob her from her own successful future? Am i making myself clear?

Please, i need everyone who can help to let me know their opinions,inputs, advise, whatever. Please be honest.

Thank you all for your time.

Steven

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for me...well, my wife works so that when I retire, I may retire in peace knowing she will support us (or just me) in the lifestyle that I have become accustomed to.

With that said, no way in hell is your girlfriend going to be able to climb the corporate ladder jumping around from city to city every few years. However, you may be able to get lucky and be assigned to the same city or geographic region for successive tours. No question about it, there will have to be sacrifices on her part at some point. This may mean you have to work at McDonalds after you retire so she may pursue her goals.

My only other thought is that she could begin her own business of some sort that is mobile (i.e. internet) or other. --OR-- She can go back to school and work at the Navy Exchange. Obviously, I am being a little sarcastic. The point is...you both will have to be flexible and imaginative in order to find a solution that works for both of you.

If your girlfriend would like specific advice, she can email my wife at: kismet423@hotmail.com. Just be sure she mentions in the subject header "Air Warriors Forum".

Take care and good luck.

--Steve Wilkins (edited by Karianne Wilkins)

Steven Ruiz

Thanks Steve for you insight. I will let her know about your wife's email. I am sure she has many questions.

Again, thanks!

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.