• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to Address Rear Admiral (Selects) and other "Selects"

I would use...

• Rear Admiral (select)

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Captain

Votes: 34 94.4%

• Total voters

Stephen Hall

hallsc7
I'm more interested in what may be written officially as a Navy courtesy and etiquette, but what has been your personal experience when writing an email or seeking (in person) the attention of a "Rear Admiral Lower Half (select)"? Do you write your email "RDML (sel)" or do you write "Captain"? In an in-person setting, how do you address them?

We obviously wouldn't address a Commander (sel) as such, we would just say "LCDR." I wouldn't say "Captain (sel)" either, but it seems that the RDML (sel) is expected, but not really officially a navy custom.

Thoughts?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Captain. We don't frock officers, and the "select" thing is largely an enlisted thing. That being said, if I was corresponding with someone who used "select" in their e-mail signature block, then I would know exactly what kind of douche I would be corresponding with, and would probably use it out of necessity to avoid uncomfortable conversations with the bobs.

If someone wants to address why I'm wrong, I'll promptly start calling all ENSes "LT (sel)"

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Guess I’ve got my new flow down now.

“Captain select, 1stLt Rugby_Guy, VT22 SDO, how may I help you or direct your call sir or ma’am?”

“Bro, shut up. I need IP xxxxx’s number.”

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm more interested in what may be written officially as a Navy courtesy and etiquette, but what has been your personal experience when writing an email or seeking (in person) the attention of a "Rear Admiral Lower Half (select)"? Do you write your email "RDML (sel)" or do you write "Captain"? In an in-person setting, how do you address them?

We obviously wouldn't address a Commander (sel) as such, we would just say "LCDR." I wouldn't say "Captain (sel)" either, but it seems that the RDML (sel) is expected, but not really officially a navy custom.

Thoughts?
In my observation for 2 Flag cycles here at OPNAV, RDML selects keep with their CAPT title, but everyone knows they're a select. I think the exception would be if they are doing some task for their upcoming Flag job (i.e. arranging for meetings after they assume the new job).

I think in person, you would address them as CAPT because that's what they would be wearing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's not true. In fact, one of the more common times to frock an officer is for Flag. Even for other officer ranks, officers are frocked in a variety of situations.
I'm aware and I've met a few rare frocked officers, and I'm aware that Flag ranks (and other subordinate command-specific billets) are the typical frocking situations, but my response was more about the generality of that device used in the officer corps, and what is also quoted in any promotion selection message:

Frocking is not authorized for any Officer listed below until specific
authorization is received per SECNAVINST 1420.2A.

Or for the flag level, what's written for RDMLs:

Frocking to Rear Admiral (Lower Half) is not authorized except on an
individual basis by the Secretary of Defense. Frocking, when authorized,
will follow Senate confirmation.

Long story short: call them what they're wearing. If they happen to be frocked and actually WEARING the rank, then they'll most likely be referring to themselves by their frocked rank anyway. With that, I'll refer to my previous statement: if they are signing their e-mails and/or referring to themselves by their (sel) rank, they are a douchebag, and you ought to address them as their select rank, if only to avoid an uncomfortable conversation.

/R

LCDR (sel) Baconator

robav8r

None
Contributor
That's not true. In fact, one of the more common times to frock an officer is for Flag. Even for other officer ranks, officers are frocked in a variety of situations.
I work with a few Navy Captains that are frocked to their current rank. Also, nothing wrong with addressing a Captain as RDML(sel) in email or unofficial correspondence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time you have to refer to a Captain as a RDML(sel) is in the Reporting Senior block when said selected Captain is writing a FITREP on another Captain. It’s in the EVALMAN.

The only time I would ever refer to a ”select” as such is when a First Class picks up Chief but hasn’t pinned yet. All else is Army BS that doesn’t need to be brought over into the Naval services.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
You could go with Sir / Ma’am....

Also, you’ll often find squadron XOs frocked to O5 if they are junior (i.e., short turn between DH tour and showing back up to a ready room).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't frock officers...

I'm aware and I've met a few rare frocked officers, and I'm aware that Flag ranks (and other subordinate command-specific billets) are the typical frocking situations, but my response was more about the generality of that device used in the officer corps...

I work with a few Navy Captains that are frocked to their current rank. Also, nothing wrong with addressing a Captain as RDML(sel) in email or unofficial correspondence.

Jiminy Christmas Joboy, quit talking out of your ass again. Both HH-60 and robav8r have far more actual experience with frocked flag officers than you so maybe you ought to defer to what they say than talking about how a RDML (sel) is a douche for signing his emails as such. That is in fact pretty much the only rank I have seen folks use (sel) in the Navy without hardly anyone batting an eye.

Last edited: