• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How not to conduct a command investigation

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It happens quite a bit Brett, think outside your OP DH box . . . . .
Since OP DH constitutes 75-80% of aviation DH slots, it’s not wrong to focus on that. Either way, it is rare, and to the extent that is does occur, it is not relevant to the underlying discussion we’re having. If someone has an approved separation, then they don’t factor into this decision for a RS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody was asking about the likelihood of the situation arising and your response that "making a separate summary group isn't allowed per the instruction" is bad gouge.
As I interpreted your question, it was a suggestion to make a different summary group for people who had signaled intent to separate in the future.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Just saw your post. Making a separate summary group isn't allowed per the instruction.

Serious question, which instruction? I ask because I'm in a position where my 1 of 1 is now a 1 of 2 and debate is beginning on how the CO wants to rank us. But since we are at 2 UICs with the same RS, it should be x2 "1 of 1s" with soft break language accordingly correct?

This is really the first time the system has vexed me in 10 years.......

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting, not sure about the multiple UICs. The Eval/FITREP instruction, I think it’s 1610.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm just amazed this many JOs are spending this much time on FITREP rankings. About the only time I would wonder (note: not worried about, just wondered) what my rank would be was when I was walking into the RS's office for the debrief. It just wasn't something I wasted time and energy on.

Reactions: Mos

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm just amazed this many JOs are spending this much time on FITREP rankings. About the only time I would wonder (note: not worried about, just wondered) what my rank would be was when I was walking into the RS's office for the debrief. It just wasn't something I wasted time and energy on.

But I've seen too many cases where myself and others "didn't know what they didn't know" and found the system was unforgiving to those who aren't curious.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I've seen too many cases where myself and others "didn't know what they didn't know" and found the system was unforgiving to those who aren't curious.
This is one reason why I tend to chime in here when these questions come up. We can all lament the imperfections of the system, but it’s what we have to work within. Knowing how the game is played will help you better navigate the system to your advantage.

It’s also why every FITREP debrief deserves a thorough discussion of the same themes.

Cue “The More You Know” graphic.

BackOrdered

Contributor
This is one reason why I tend to chime in here when these questions come up. We can all lament the imperfections of the system, but it’s what we have to work within. Knowing how the game is played will help you better navigate the system to your advantage.

It’s also why every FITREP debrief deserves a thorough discussion of the same themes.

Cue “The More You Know” graphic.

Too many times I've seen friends talk about "that ONE FITREP from x years ago", that for want of knowledge, could have been avoided. Not openly derogatory, but discretely luke warm or something else too subtle for the average officer to notice. You just can't ask enough questions.

The system is painful, but ignorance is more painful.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
My most recent FITREP was significantly improved after I sat down with my SWO CDRE for the debrief. We talked about my situation, I discussed with him how Aviation looks at things slightly different, he called the TYCOM O-6 Pilot, and then told me not to sign it and he'd work on it. Week or two goes by, he calls me back to his office to sign a much stronger FITREP, and also discover he wants to extend me a couple months so my next FITREP will be my HW instead of this one. Provided I don't fuck up, I should leave with a great HW. So...It's worth it as a JO to understand these things because nobody cares about you more than you and you're not necessarily always going to be surrounded by aviators.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

So...It's worth it as a JO to understand these things because nobody cares about you more than you and you're not necessarily always going to be surrounded by aviators.

You guys are missing the intent of my post. I agree a discussion of how the system works should happen during the debrief, and I also agree understanding how to look out for yourself with wording is important. My point is that worrying about ranking specifically isn't worth the effort. It's going to be what it's going to be. In my mind ranking and FITREP massage are two different "disciplines" of the system.

Hopefully that's a little more clear. I fear the internet is limiting my ability to articulate this correctly.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You guys are missing the intent of my post. I agree a discussion of how the system works should happen during the debrief, and I also agree understanding how to look out for yourself with wording is important. My point is that worrying about ranking specifically isn't worth the effort. It's going to be what it's going to be. In my mind ranking and FITREP massage are two different "disciplines" of the system.

Hopefully that's a little more clear. I fear the internet is limiting my ability to articulate this correctly.

Well my command is joint so if I don't care about ranking, literally no one else will.

Second, understanding the messaging of where you rank is important to avoid stagnating or surprises. Its a little different, but I use to have some interesting back briefs with my Blue Shirts and Chiefs who just didn't seem to "get" why they were in the spot they were in without understanding just how much was in their hands during the period of report.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I will admit that I had the benefit of being in an operational environment my whole career, so I didn't truly have to worry about "Staff" ranking, or when I did, I was a 1/1 EP for 6+ years. But for the tours that matter to aviators (JO Sea and DH Sea), my ranking was nothing more than a distraction from doing the job well and to the best of my abilities.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I still think the best way to manage “equal” FITREPS is through timing. I see a good deal of career management through sliding people left or right as appropriate. Eventually someone gets burned, but it works...

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
It happens quite a bit Brett, think outside your OP DH box . . . . .

It’s happening among OP DHs these days. I personally know 4, of which I am one. It’s even been written into the DH bonus contract since FY16 that you can get out after completion of the DH tour.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
It’s happening among OP DHs these days. I personally know 4, of which I am one. It’s even been written into the DH bonus contract since FY16 that you can get out after completion of the DH tour.
Obviously not Navy but I quit during my OpsO billet. I turned over with my replacement at the end of my tour and went on terminal. No questions asked.