• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long is the P-3 RAG?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Rookies Are Gullible or

Replacement Air Group to train Fleet Replacement Pilots (FRP)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Isn't referring to it as "the RAG" politically incorrect these days or some crap? Now I think you're suppose to call it FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Me thinks it's okay to say "in the rag", just not "on the rag" as in "What's her problem, she must be in the RAG?" as opposed to "What's her problem, she must be on the rag?" :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I hope it didn't come off like I was trying to brag about time just was curious but this is all good to know thank you for your help =)

You didn't, but I thought it would be good to clarify that (I was in the same boat as you coming in)

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Isn't referring to it as "the RAG" politically incorrect these days or some crap? Now I think you're suppose to call it FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron).

Oops, I guess all my time spent in the RAG I've been wrong and so has everyone else, I'll spread the word that we should be calling it the FRS and not the RAG :icon_wink No one cares, in official events, it might get called the FRS, but its pretty much still the RAG

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
No. 700 hours total military time.
Wait... I'm confused... That's the time "doing your job," right? Not all the other misc hours, right? A typical training flight at -30 is slated for 4 hours (according to that damn schedule I have to read for Pickle, every day). Even though he's not flying for said 4 hours, is it still 4 hours of flight time?

Sorry, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this and Pickle is usually no help. I generally don't speak "grunt and fart."

Also- what about enlisted aircraft time? That doesn't count, right?

/threadjack

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Wait... I'm confused... That's the time "doing your job," right? Not all the other misc hours, right? A typical training flight at -30 is slated for 4 hours (according to that damn schedule I have to read for Pickle, every day). Even though he's not flying for said 4 hours, is it still 4 hours of flight time?

Sorry, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this and Pickle is usually no help. I generally don't speak "grunt and fart."

/threadjack

The time is actual flight time, not whats on the flight schedule. If a flight was scheduled for 4 hours but only ends up being 3 hours, it counts as 3 hours of flight time. Its the time that goes into the log book that counts.

As for enlisted time in a plane. Thats good for nothing.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

/threadjack

As stated previously, the time the bird is in the air is the time that counts. Scheduled time doesn't go in the logbook. Keeping accurate flight time is important because scheduled maintenance is run at certain flight hour intervals (30, 60, 100, 500, 1000 hour, etc.) inspections. It's what keeps the pilots honest :icon_wink Whatever the pilot puts on the paperwork is the same number that goes in his logbook and on the maintenance records.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Whatever the pilot puts on the paperwork is the same number that goes in his logbook and on the maintenance records.

Not necessarily. I knew a couple 18 guys that would always fly 1.1's or 1.2's and log them as 1.5+. If they give themselves more flight time on the NAVFLIR it only means the inspections will roll around sooner. No big deal.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

/threadjack

Pilot time is what counts toward required hours for Patrol Plane Commander. Special Crew Time is not counted.

The time is actual flight time, not whats on the flight schedule. If a flight was scheduled for 4 hours but only ends up being 3 hours, it counts as 3 hours of flight time. Its the time that goes into the log book that counts.

As for enlisted time in a plane. Thats good for nothing.

Right. And to reiterate, SCT does not count. If you are on a 4 hour training flight, your pilot time is what is ultimately used.

Not necessarily. I knew a couple 18 guys that would always fly 1.1's or 1.2's and log them as 1.5+. If they give themselves more flight time on the NAVFLIR it only means the inspections will roll around sooner. No big deal.

It is a big deal. Padding hours is shady at best and can result in massive repurcussions in the Navy. Not to mention the integrity issue. Seen it happen. Not pretty.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Like you said, a couple of guys...not how I would run my MX control if I was the chief. I bet the MX Master Chief didn't know they were doing that crap. No big deal unless you are a maintainer that has to complete said inspection and then R/R a high time component well before it's due. Not to mention accrued MAF SCIR time, component costs, A/C down time, the list is endless.

Lesson: Don't do that unless Maintenance specifically asks you to for a certain situation.