• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long from pro-rec to select?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey yall- it's been a while since I had internet access and I've got some news...

After 8 weeks of waiting I finally got word back that I've been professionally recommended! It can happen to you too, just keep the faith.

Anyway, here's my question: How long should I expect to have to wait until I actually get selected and swear in? I want some real closure on the issue for one thing, and I'm looking forward to some BDCP cash as well
eyebrows_125.gif
My recruiter is new and doesn't know what to expect. I'm his first OCS candidate and first aviation applicant.

I've done my PRT, turned in my EPSQ, and been to MEPS. Everything is done on my part as far as I know. So any ideas on how long I've got to wait? Thanks yall. BEN

jrklr

it actually took me about a month and a half. your pretty much in though, so you dont need to worry much. the date you swear in is the date yer pay starts, but to actually start getting that check, you have to wait again to go get your militarty ID, which you have to recieve your official orders to do so first. This is what I'm waiting for right now. I swore in less than a month ago, still waiting to get orders so I could start gettin paid! If any one else has similar info I'd appreciate it.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else got some info on how long it takes?

Shepherd

I waited a good 6-7 months to start getting paid. But it was cool because all my back pay came in. It was very nice to have about $3000 come in, especially when bailing hay is your job. Hope you get it sooner.

A posteriori

aoconnor

After being pro-rec'd I was sworn in about 2 weeks later. It would have been a week, but my recruiter was out of town. As far as getting paid, I didn't get paid for the first two months because the lady at the bank messed up my routing number. However, backpay is nice.

Just a word about pay. I have had my pay messed up several times. Once from the lady at the bank, then I found out they had me listed a single, now last month my pay flat out stopped. Rather than bug your command about pay matters, I have found it easier to do it yourself. Keep a list of important numbers such as the Defense Financial Whatever based out of Cleveland -they are the ones who cut the checks, have the number of your disburson clerk (spelling), and any others that you can grab.

By doing this, when a snag happens, which in a huge multifaceted organization like the Navy it is bound to happen, you can quickly track down your money. Also, you won't have to bug your command who is probably busy enough putting packets through, etc..

If anyone is interested in some of these numbers I let me know. I am attached to the Raleigh, NC area.

Shepherd

Just a note -- don't worry about "worrying your command who is probably busy enough putting packets through”. That is thier job. After all you are an enlisted service man - let them earn their pay. Besides, it is always a good thing for future officers to learn about the chain of command before OCS.

PS – aoconner - Dive me an email - I am in the New Orleans district, but my father lives in Wilmington, NC…God, how I love the beach.

A posteriori

RobNLa

I just submitted my packet last week. I am curious to know how long it took for everyone to hear if the had been pro recommended.

jrklr

bout 10 weeks for me to hear that I was pro select.
shepherd: 6-7 months??!!! you gotta be kiddin me. I think I'd let the command hear from me before I went that long.
btw, my recruiter told me that I have to wait to get my military ID before I can start getting a check, but to get that I need official OCS orders which are in the works. Has anyone heard this story before? I'm already sworn in with all papers signed. Should I try to go above my recruiter?

aoconnor

It took around 4-5 months before I heard word.

Shepard, I was just at Wrightsville last weekend, man o man, sure was nice. It is about a two hour drive from where I live. As far as your command, I was referring to the officers at NRD. In the past, they usually refer me to the enlisted folk. That's why I figure, rather than bug the officers, it seems best to talk to the people that they will refer you to. I usually end up talking to PN's, YN's, and contracted pencil pushers.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
what exactly does it mean to be "professionally recommended", and do people still get selected if they weren't?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

My package has been sent in and I've been waiting about 6 weeks to hear if I've been prof-rec'ed. I'm getting soooo antsy! Especually since I'm currently in Washington DC for the summer and everywhere I turn is something that makes me more and more excited about joining our military!!! I sit at the Navy memorial for lunch every day because it's close to where I'm interning and I just sit and watch all the people in their military uniforms and get all excited thinking that one day I'll be wearing one!!! I hope!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.