• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do my credential stack up?

exNavyOffRec

Intel and IP are zero as well.

according to FY12 accession data released by big navy they are over accessing due to designator conversions (can't be sub/pilot/etc...)

It isn't what I am saying, it is what the board members send back as feedback, I have not seen an IDC goal change in 3 years for OCS accessions, the reason is they have enough medical redesignations at OCS they can fix it there.

If the goal is zero his or anyone else's application will not go anywhere, they are auto rejected upon arrival at NRC.

For the OP...any reason you specifically want IW as opposed to Naval Intelligence or the Information Professional community? Write your applications focusing on the general Naval Officer focus...and add in verbiage that can apply to all the sub-communities of the Information Dominance Corps (unless you REALLY do not want to be an Intel Officer or IP).

The fact that the current goal for IW is zero is...to put it mildly...a bummer. However, goals and situations change. Combine that with the fact that IW is actually under-accessed in the junior officer ranks no matter where the NPC accession quota goal is set...the worst the Navy can say to you is "no". But if you don't apply you'll never get in. As far as the lack of calculus in your background...I understand what NAVYOFFREC is saying...but the IW community needs more common sense than crazy math and computer skills in its officer corps, if you ask me. And the computer/cyber side of the house is just that...a side of the house...not the whole she-bang.

If you're interested, head over to www.informationwarriors.net It's the IW version of Airwarriors...

Danin

Hi there, I've been reading around these forums for a while - particularly leading up to the ASTB test I took last week. Since I began college, I wanted nothing more than to work in an intelligence field. Essentially, it has always been a dream of mine. Now, I know there are plenty of threads on this forum asking for the opinions of others regarding their chances of getting a particular spot. However, I am at quite a loss.

After speaking with my recruiter, I am well aware of the fact that the waiting line for IW is quite long. But I want to give it a shot.

First of all, let me lay out the basics. I graduated from Rutgers University this year. I majored in Middle Eastern Studies and minored in Anthropology. My cumulative GPA is a 3.38. However, my Major GPA is a 3.86 (the difference being the result of a very poor performance my freshman year).

I studied abroad in Israel for a semester and, among others, took a course in counter terrorism. I studied Arabia for 2 years at my University. I also participated in the Middlebury Language School's intensive Arabic course with the "No English Pledge" for 8 weeks. During my senior year, I wrote a one hundred page Honors Thesis about the Cold War between Iran and Saudi Arabia and how it is being played out in Iraq. During the Spring semester of the same year, I interned as a Research Analyst at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies - a counter terrorism think-tank located in DC.

Now, a factor that may negatively effect my application. I had been offered a job with FBI a few months ago. However, as a result of failing my polygraph (allegedly for violating the Bureau's drug policy - which I did not do, but my issues with the polygraph is a story in and of itself), the offer was rescinded. I don't know how this will effect my future attempts at getting a clearance - particularly in the Navy.

So, after giving a brief rundown of my credentials - where do I stand? I know I take a significant hit having not taken a Calculus or Physics course, but is that a deal-breaker? Oh, and last but not least, I got a 6/6/6 56 on the ASTB.

I appreciate any responses and please, be blunt. I need to know if it is even worth me trying for a position in IW or if I should cut my loses and apply for something else. Thank you very much!
TRY! Your ASTB is pretty good, better than mine (44). And you seem to have a pretty good package. My recruiter told me to submit mine and if I get rejected, just resubmit with a new (hopefully better test score). You have nothing to lose. Best of luck.

exNavyOffRec

It's not just on the OCS side. For IWs it's a function of the fact our community is deliberate about taking most of our accessions from the prior enlisted side. If the OP does want IW and understands the concept of naval officer first then lat transfer is an option (in theory) from another designator. That too is numbers driven and there are no guarantees.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but going from memory I believe IW has the highest percent of prior enlisted, either they applied while on AD, or reservist, or did AD then just got out and then applied.

andrew rauth

Hello everyone, I'm back. I appreciate everyone's advice and input thus far, it has helped me very much. My package is in. I have 3 letters of rec / employment history documents, my ASPR, medical paperwork, etc. I switched up IW for Intel as my first choice as I feel that it better suits what I'm looking to do.

I guess now I just wait...as that seems to be the general trend with how things are done in this situation. Again, thank you for your replies.

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone, I'm back. I appreciate everyone's advice and input thus far, it has helped me very much. My package is in. I have 3 letters of rec / employment history documents, my ASPR, medical paperwork, etc. I switched up IW for Intel as my first choice as I feel that it better suits what I'm looking to do.

I guess now I just wait...as that seems to be the general trend with how things are done in this situation. Again, thank you for your replies.

There are no spots for Intel either for FY13, they are rejecting all applications.

andrew rauth

Yeah, I pretty much expected that to be the case. I honestly only selected it first so that I don't feel as though I have "given up" on the goal - as strange as that may seem to some. My second through fifth choices are NFO, SWO, SO, and HR. I would gladly take any of these positions as well and I have made that very clear in my motivational statement.

Again, thank you everyone for the help.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, I pretty much expected that to be the case. I honestly only selected it first so that I don't feel as though I have "given up" on the goal - as strange as that may seem to some. My second through fifth choices are NFO, SWO, SO, and HR. I would gladly take any of these positions as well and I have made that very clear in my motivational statement.

Again, thank you everyone for the help.

Well, HR doesn't accept applications into active, that is a lateral transfer only designator, and SO application period is currently closed.

andrew rauth

Interesting. And noted. This may or may not sound like a reasonable question, but what are open at this point outside of NFO and SWO? I am unable Pilot as my eye sight is not good enough, but I would like to start a career path in the next 12 months.

exNavyOffRec

Interesting. And noted. This may or may not sound like a reasonable question, but what are open at this point outside of NFO and SWO? I am unable Pilot as my eye sight is not good enough, but I would like to start a career path in the next 12 months.

Jan might have NFO and SWO, that will depend on the results of the board meeting now, otherwise that is it, the beginning of the year would be a good time to start to apply for SEAL have you taken the PST yet? I believe the EOD cutoff already happened.

Did someone tell you to apply for HR? many times people think all designators can enter via civilian path.

andrew rauth

I have not taken the PST yet. And I was not told to apply for HR, it just seems as though I haven't been given much information and have been left to wander throguh the possible career choices. I am contacting my recruiter now. Thanks again.

exNavyOffRec

I have not taken the PST yet. And I was not told to apply for HR, it just seems as though I haven't been given much information and have been left to wander throguh the possible career choices. I am contacting my recruiter now. Thanks again.

OK, that makes sense, I have seen this happen before where a person wasn't given much info and then people were submitting for designators they shouldn't. The best was when a history major tried to apply for CEC, the applicant had recruiter that was too busy being concerned about his own career than others.

andrew rauth

Hey guys, it's me checking in again. Quick question - and something that I had forgotten to mention previously. A little over four years ago, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I had two surgeries - one for the removal of the tumor and the second to remove my abdominal lymph nodes. I never received any radiation or chemo. I remembered reading somewhere that it was a 2 year period that one must be healthy in order to be considered by the Navy. Is this the case, or will I be automatically DQ'd? I have a letter from my doctor saying I am physically fit, capable, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys, it's me checking in again. Quick question - and something that I had forgotten to mention previously. A little over four years ago, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I had two surgeries - one for the removal of the tumor and the second to remove my abdominal lymph nodes. I never received any radiation or chemo. I remembered reading somewhere that it was a 2 year period that one must be healthy in order to be considered by the Navy. Is this the case, or will I be automatically DQ'd? I have a letter from my doctor saying I am physically fit, capable, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

I can tell you that if they removed the testical that having only one is PDQ condition, I believe any history of cancer is PDQ as well.

andrew rauth

I was under the impression that the removal of a testicle is only PDQ if it was congenital or undescended - neither of which are the case. And there are time limits on cancer as well, however I've heard everywhere from two to five years.