• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do my credential stack up?

andrew rauth

Hi there, I've been reading around these forums for a while - particularly leading up to the ASTB test I took last week. Since I began college, I wanted nothing more than to work in an intelligence field. Essentially, it has always been a dream of mine. Now, I know there are plenty of threads on this forum asking for the opinions of others regarding their chances of getting a particular spot. However, I am at quite a loss.

After speaking with my recruiter, I am well aware of the fact that the waiting line for IW is quite long. But I want to give it a shot.

First of all, let me lay out the basics. I graduated from Rutgers University this year. I majored in Middle Eastern Studies and minored in Anthropology. My cumulative GPA is a 3.38. However, my Major GPA is a 3.86 (the difference being the result of a very poor performance my freshman year).

I studied abroad in Israel for a semester and, among others, took a course in counter terrorism. I studied Arabia for 2 years at my University. I also participated in the Middlebury Language School's intensive Arabic course with the "No English Pledge" for 8 weeks. During my senior year, I wrote a one hundred page Honors Thesis about the Cold War between Iran and Saudi Arabia and how it is being played out in Iraq. During the Spring semester of the same year, I interned as a Research Analyst at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies - a counter terrorism think-tank located in DC.

Now, a factor that may negatively effect my application. I had been offered a job with FBI a few months ago. However, as a result of failing my polygraph (allegedly for violating the Bureau's drug policy - which I did not do, but my issues with the polygraph is a story in and of itself), the offer was rescinded. I don't know how this will effect my future attempts at getting a clearance - particularly in the Navy.

So, after giving a brief rundown of my credentials - where do I stand? I know I take a significant hit having not taken a Calculus or Physics course, but is that a deal-breaker? Oh, and last but not least, I got a 6/6/6 56 on the ASTB.

I appreciate any responses and please, be blunt. I need to know if it is even worth me trying for a position in IW or if I should cut my loses and apply for something else. Thank you very much!

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't know about the Navy, but booting the poly is a blacklist for the 3 letters in DC.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are your issues with the polygraph? They are used in the Navy as well, but they're the CI flavor vice the lifestyle one FBI probably gave you.

andrew rauth

I was told I was in violation of the FBI's drug policy (meaning, having smoked pot with the past 3 years, any other drug for 10 years, or sold/bought drugs at any time). I am in no way in violation of this policy, and at the time I was highly offended by the accusation. But I've since gotten over it and am now in the market for another job.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They concluded this based on your polygraph results? Did they specifically state this to you, or is this an assumption on your part? Had they conducted any other portions of your background check, like talking to your family, friends, references, neighbors, etc?

andrew rauth

Yes, this was told to me by the polygrapher. She concluded the test and told me I had a strange reaction to one of the questions. I asked her which one and she told me that it was the question pertaining to the FBI's drug policy. I can't say I know how other agencies do it, but this was all before any form of background check. If you fail the poly, they don't even consider any form of further investigation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, there you go. All you can do, if you're interested in military service, is be honest about everything in the application process and go from there. I have no idea whether your poly failure will end up in any kind of records outside of FBI, but I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody here is going to be able to give you a better assessment than your recruiter, so I recommend you discuss all of this with them.

exNavyOffRec

Hi there, I've been reading around these forums for a while - particularly leading up to the ASTB test I took last week. Since I began college, I wanted nothing more than to work in an intelligence field. Essentially, it has always been a dream of mine. Now, I know there are plenty of threads on this forum asking for the opinions of others regarding their chances of getting a particular spot. However, I am at quite a loss.

After speaking with my recruiter, I am well aware of the fact that the waiting line for IW is quite long. But I want to give it a shot.

First of all, let me lay out the basics. I graduated from Rutgers University this year. I majored in Middle Eastern Studies and minored in Anthropology. My cumulative GPA is a 3.38. However, my Major GPA is a 3.86 (the difference being the result of a very poor performance my freshman year).

I studied abroad in Israel for a semester and, among others, took a course in counter terrorism. I studied Arabia for 2 years at my University. I also participated in the Middlebury Language School's intensive Arabic course with the "No English Pledge" for 8 weeks. During my senior year, I wrote a one hundred page Honors Thesis about the Cold War between Iran and Saudi Arabia and how it is being played out in Iraq. During the Spring semester of the same year, I interned as a Research Analyst at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies - a counter terrorism think-tank located in DC.

Now, a factor that may negatively effect my application. I had been offered a job with FBI a few months ago. However, as a result of failing my polygraph (allegedly for violating the Bureau's drug policy - which I did not do, but my issues with the polygraph is a story in and of itself), the offer was rescinded. I don't know how this will effect my future attempts at getting a clearance - particularly in the Navy.

So, after giving a brief rundown of my credentials - where do I stand? I know I take a significant hit having not taken a Calculus or Physics course, but is that a deal-breaker? Oh, and last but not least, I got a 6/6/6 56 on the ASTB.

I appreciate any responses and please, be blunt. I need to know if it is even worth me trying for a position in IW or if I should cut my loses and apply for something else. Thank you very much!

IW primarily looks for tech degrees, and the feedback from the board is no calc and calc based physics is a significant negative factor, IW wants computer people. The USN looks at overall, we don't look at major GPA, we may look at a specific class grade such as calc and physics though.

The wait is very long, there are people waiting that have been selected and we have a goal of zero, if you are wanting to be an officer look at other designators as well, if you are only looking at Intelligence, then look at the other services as well

andrew rauth

Hello again everyone, I appreciate all the replies. I have two more quick question. First, if I gear my applications towards IW (namely motivational statements and letters of rec), does this hurt my chances of being picked up by other committees?

Also, my recruiter made it clear to me an interview with an officer in my field of interest could help my chances. As I know practically nobody, is there a commonly accepted place to go to find someone willing to speak with me?

Again, thank you everybody for your help.

exNavyOffRec

Hello again everyone, I appreciate all the replies. I have two more quick question. First, if I gear my applications towards IW (namely motivational statements and letters of rec), does this hurt my chances of being picked up by other committees?

Also, my recruiter made it clear to me an interview with an officer in my field of interest could help my chances. As I know practically nobody, is there a commonly accepted place to go to find someone willing to speak with me?

Again, thank you everybody for your help.

Hurt your chances when there is a goal of "ZERO" and many still pro rec waiting to go to OCS, how can it hurt because there is no goal, your recruiter needs to read the email coming out from NRC showing the status of programs.

There was a recruiter that I worked with that kept encouraging people to apply for programs that were filled, he was known as a "failure" as he recruited only about 4 people in 2+ years.

andrew rauth

Well that would be assuming I did not list any other options, correct? Currently, I have IW listed #1, but I have NFO listed #2 and a few other options after that. Is this going to cause problems for me?

exNavyOffRec

Well that would be assuming I did not list any other options, correct? Currently, I have IW listed #1, but I have NFO listed #2 and a few other options after that. Is this going to cause problems for me?

You never know what the people on the board may think, they could think you just want to be a specific designator and may not be happy with something else.

You are a Naval Officer first, gear towards that.

Why put IW first when there are no spots? There are currently 13 people pro rec'd or FINSEL for IW FY13 fighting for zero spots.

Silhouette

Second NavyOffRec on this one. I had Supply as my #2 choice and Intel as #3. My OR called today and said that both of those choices were professionally recommended "no" already. So it won't even go to the boards as far as I know.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently, I have IW listed #1, but I have NFO listed #2 and a few other options after that. Is this going to cause problems for me?

OP doesn't seem to understand or accept, that there is no 'chance' when ther are 0 slots open + a qualified/rec'd group waiting at the head of the line.:rolleyes:
BzB

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
For the OP...any reason you specifically want IW as opposed to Naval Intelligence or the Information Professional community? Write your applications focusing on the general Naval Officer focus...and add in verbiage that can apply to all the sub-communities of the Information Dominance Corps (unless you REALLY do not want to be an Intel Officer or IP).

The fact that the current goal for IW is zero is...to put it mildly...a bummer. However, goals and situations change. Combine that with the fact that IW is actually under-accessed in the junior officer ranks no matter where the NPC accession quota goal is set...the worst the Navy can say to you is "no". But if you don't apply you'll never get in. As far as the lack of calculus in your background...I understand what NAVYOFFREC is saying...but the IW community needs more common sense than crazy math and computer skills in its officer corps, if you ask me. And the computer/cyber side of the house is just that...a side of the house...not the whole she-bang.

If you're interested, head over to www.informationwarriors.net It's the IW version of Airwarriors...