• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How did you become a Naval Flight Officer

Hello everyone! I'm trying to steer myself into a Naval Flight Officer position im the Navy and I would like to hear about how everyone on here became one! Was it your first choice? When did you decide you wanted to do that? Any advice for prospective NFO's? Thank You.

Renegade One

None
Hello everyone! I'm trying to steer myself into a Naval Flight Officer position im the Navy and I would like to hear about how everyone on here became one! Was it your first choice? When did you decide you wanted to do that? Any advice for prospective NFO's? Thank You.
PM me with a real e-mail address for yourself…it's just too long a story to relate here. But it's a good one!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Growing up the Navy always seemed pretty awesome in general, so I got an NROTC scholarship, and there I learned about the concept of NFOs (didn't really know growing up that there were people who flew that weren't pilots, when I did NROTC I figured I'd be going to a ship since I was going into the Navy). After summer cruises, much discussion with ROTC advisors and other officers (and AW threads!) I service selected NFO, my first choice. By your profile I'm guessing that you've gotten an NROTC scholarship? Look on the NROTC section of the board for all advice on how to do all things midshipman related, but overall, get good grades in college, stay in good shape, play the ROTC fun and games, and you'll be fine. Overall, and this goes for everything in life, don't fuck it away.

Growing up the Navy always seemed pretty awesome in general, so I got an NROTC scholarship, and there I learned about the concept of NFOs (didn't really know growing up that there were people who flew that weren't pilots, when I did NROTC I figured I'd be going to a ship since I was going into the Navy). After summer cruises, much discussion with ROTC advisors and other officers (and AW threads!) I service selected NFO, my first choice. By your profile I'm guessing that you've gotten an NROTC scholarship? Look on the NROTC section of the board for all advice on how to do all things midshipman related, but overall, get good grades in college, stay in good shape, play the ROTC fun and games, and you'll be fine. Overall, and this goes for everything in life, don't fuck it away.
Unfortunatley about the scholarship im on the board for selection but im not really that competetive. My grades are okay but other than that I am senior leadership in JROTC and from what I've heard its not really all that important but hey its worth a shot. Plus I'm using college as a chance to really focus on my grades and not all the other BS high school had. Would you say the 4 year scholarship gives any advantage? I did just get accepted to a local private school that I am excited to attend and im hoping for a scholarship whether it be 4 year, 3 year, 2 year or advanced standing. If not Ill do OCS like my father. But its very interesting to hear from the aviation community about this. This is a life dream for me and would love nothing more in life. I really appreciate it.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
I actually wanted to be a helo pilot right before my senior year starter. This was because HSC-2 let me take the controls of a brand new SH-60S for a bit during a summer cruise I had. It was a lot of fun!

But I haven't been able to pass a depth perception test for many years so I was DQ'ed for SNA. It wasn't a huge letdown or anything though because I had done my research and had been looking at NFO for a while (got to be with VAW-120 during a summer cruise and learned a lot about what NFOs do). NFO became my #1 choice after that and I have zero regrets (unfortunately there are a few people in my squadron that aren't happy that they aren't pilots, but they are few in numbers thankfully).

I can't really give you much advice on ROTC stuff since I went to USNA. Plenty of my peers did ROTC and OCS and everyone is on the same playing field. My brother did Air Force ROTC and had a 4 year scholarship. I would recommend the 4 year scholarship because the Navy will help pay for tuition.

Good luck with your endeavors!

yakboyslim

None
I went through about a year of applying for the NUPOC program. I was going into my junior year of school and had a girlfriend I figured might end up my wife (I was correct on that one) so I was looking for a way to provide money now, reduce my student loan debt and have a plan after college. Also, I had an engineering internship and I quickly learned I was not ready to sit behind a desk. I had received an email from a recruiter about the program and the bonus and E5 pay in college were too big to pass up.

I made it all the way to the interview with Admiral Donald. He unfortunately (at the time) did not select me to serve in the nuclear Navy. I was pretty bummed out, but I was able to spend the night "celebrating" with a guy and a gal who were also at the interview. The guy had been accepted, so he had $15,000 in his bank account and graciously took us all on a pretty epic bar crawl. While on this adventure we all spent a lot of time talking and I realized that I had fully committed myself to the idea of serving at this point, with or without the sign on bonus.

The next day I called my recruiter and asked what else I was medically qualified for (I asked because I figured my eyesight kept me out of everything cool) The first thing he listed was NFO. I knew NFO's were back-seaters in fighters and that was enough. Being in fighter jets would be a dream come true. I had him put my application in for it, and then I started asking real questions (not the order you should do it, but it worked out).

I got accepted to the BDCP program for SNFO and went to OCS after college. A lot of fears about the NAMI whammy while at OCS led me to consider other designators, and I came to the conclusion that I could do others, but I wanted to do NFO. Luckily for me the NAMI waivers came back and everything worked out.

Once in the NFO pipeline I have been fortunate to get everything I wanted with regards to platform and coast. Advice to you though, going in to SNFO training, don't have such a closed off view on platform selection. I knew all along I wanted Rhinos, but I tried to stay open minded. Some guys would get their heart set on a certain platform, and not get it. I don't think this is a common problem, but we had some guys seemingly sabotage themselves after they were selected for something they didn't want. Just remember, until you are in a specific platform you are a generic SNFO. Most guys seem to get what they want, but almost all eventually grow to love what they get.

With regards to the capitalization and punctuation, sometimes it doesn't get ironed out for the new guys so I'll give you my take on it: AW is a "virtual ready room" that means it is a somewhat professional environment. Also, and more importantly, it means people build an impression of you from here. Like a real ready room, everything you do is evaluated by your peers, at least a little. It might be the internet, but take the extra time to try to present yourself as best you can.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With regards to the capitalization and punctuation, sometimes it doesn't get ironed out for the new guys so I'll give you my take on it: AW is a "virtual ready room" that means it is a somewhat professional environment. Also, and more importantly, it means people build an impression of you from here. Like a real ready room, everything you do is evaluated by your peers, at least a little. It might be the internet, but take the extra time to try to present yourself as best you can.
Great post! As you say, even though AW is informal & fairly 'low key", it's the first place where potential future Officers get to communicate (in writing), with established military Officers. No matter the thread subject, first impressions are important. When a 'newbie' drops a post, however brilliant or erudite, uncapitalized and/or sloppily punctuated/poorly spelled; the reader focuses less attention to the content, while wondering if the poster slept through college freshman English, or is just plain lazy. Don't be "that guy/gal"!:eek:

Officers are expected to communicate effectively, especially in writing. Aside from official and informal writing (letters, messages, memos, etc.), you may be asked to rough up award recs, and even your own fitness reports. When you become a DivO, you will submit the smooth periodic evaluations on your division personnel. Obviously, your promotions and those of your Sailors, depend in part upon your writing proficiency.;)

For the newbies: Someday, if you are fortunate, one or more of the fellow AWs you banter with here on our site, may be your CO/XO, or DH. First impressions do count!:D
*Not intended to be grammar "nazi-ism"!:)
BzB

Renegade One

None
*Not intended to be grammar "nazi-ism"! BzB
Came across to me that way.

Sorry for not properly structuring my response, which should have read: "I interpreted your response to indicate that you are, in fact, a small, albeit "well intentioned", grammar Nazi."

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Education has to begin somewhere, and the colleges and universities of America have obviously dropped the ball. :cool:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Came across to me that way.
Shouldn't have, that's why I took pains to add the caveat.:confused:
Sorry for not properly structuring my response, which should have read: "I interpreted your response to indicate that you are, in fact, a small, albeit "well intentioned", grammar Nazi."
Unsure if this is guidance, or a joke... although I do tip the scales at a mere 122#. Small now, but wasn't always that way. You are right, it was well intentioned, and I would hope the target 'newbies' take it that way.:)
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was an enlisted aircrewman in the back of several aircraft (RC-12F, UH-3A, and a C-2A) when I was selected for the now defunct Enlisted Commissioning Program. Throughout my 3 years at NROTC, I knew I wanted to go back into aviation and fly. At the end of my Junior year, I had my flight physical and was told I was NPQ for pilot (astigmatism), so I decided to go NFO. I figured that I had nearly 1200 hours flying in the back, why not get paid to fly in the front. I really wanted to fly A-6 intruders as a Bombidier-Navigator, but the year I graduated and started flight school, the Navy decommissioned all of the A-6 squadrons. So I went for the "electric" A-6 over the S-3. I had the grades to go Tomcats, but I loathe Norfolk and made my platform choice based on West Coast squadrons (S-3Bs in San Diego, or EA-6Bs in Whidbey Island). I enjoyed my time as an NFO, but did not realize going into it that you'd be doing lots and lots of flight planning......

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I enjoyed my time as an NFO, but did not realize going into it that you'd be doing lots and lots of flight planning......

Unless you're an E-2 NFO, in which case you do zero flight planning (after the VTs).

I've loved being an NFO from my first day at VT-10. Ensigns worry and moan about the "status" of NFOs vs pilots in the Navy, but once you get to the Fleet, you realize it's all flying, and everyone has their job. When (like in my first squadron) both the Skipper and XO are double-anchor types (as was CAG), it's kind of hard to feel like you're just some sort of glorified helper monkey.

Oh, and make sure you hang around during the LSO debriefs for your pilots and offer comments like, "You're full of shit, Paddles. Pinto here was on rails the whole pass." They LOVE that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had long wanted to fly and join the Navy but figured my eyes were too bad to be anything but a passenger in a plane until I was in NROTC and found out you can have bad eyes and still fly. I squeaked in under the upper limit for vision for NFOs and haven't looked back since! The bad eyes thing was probably a blessing in disguise since I am not so good with the whole hand eye coordination thing.