• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Can I Strengthen My Package for DCO PAO

Cassidy77

I have read most of what I can find at this point and figure it is time to ask for some assistance from those that have been through this process before. The info on this site has been tremendously helpful. Thanks to those that have regularly contributed, I'm sure you know what you've created here is utilized by many considering their service options.

I have met with my recruiter in person and am in the process of pulling together my official package for a Direct Commision as a PAO. I am told I rate very well as an applicant but being such a competitive commission I feel I need to come in well above expectations to be noticed. I feel my lack of prior service is my weakest point and there is no way to overcome that so any suggestions on the kinds of recommendations I should pursue is welcome.

My background:

I am a 35 year old media professional with 12 years of experience producing documentaries. I have also worked in radio and taught as a Graduate Assistant at a major University for 2 years. My work has aired Nationally on most cable networks as well as theatrically.

My work has garnered National recognition including a Peabody Award.

I have a Masters Degree in Mass Communication having been bestowed Distinction after graduating with a 3.9 GPA.

I am an active and licensed NJ Volunteer Fire Fighter. This is main form of documented community service. I served several days during and after Sandy with my Department as well as a volunteer cleaning up surrounding areas.

My references span my personal and professional life. I have extra letters coming in from an NJ State Senator and the former head of my Undergraduate and Graduate programs attesting to my character.

My motivation for pursuing this commission is born out of a desire to serve my country with the talents I have developed over my decade plus of work. I offer a specialty that has given me experience in almost every aspect of this business from the legal, the administrative to the creative. I have been volunteering locally for some time now and feel putting my experience to use for my Country is the most logical next step. The opportunity presented by the Navy Reserves is the right one for someone of my age and background.

Physically I am 6’1” / 194lbs. When I first began researching this idea I was an active yet chubby 213, so I have put the work in on my physical training. I cycle for distance and can easily hit the 1.5 mile run time. I have had Meniscal Repair surgery 23 years ago and had a scar tissue clean up about 7 years ago. My Recruiter sees no issue with my getting a waiver in light of my physical conditioning. If someone thinks I’ll have an issue due to this please share.

This is my rough resume and application package. I do not have a letter of recommendation from anyone in the PAO community or with prior service. I feel like pursuing the opportunity to speak with someone currently serving to discuss my package would be of a great benefit but I am not sure where to begin on that. Any advice or feedback is welcome and appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

as an old OR I would say you have a pretty good resume' there, just need to convey that to the board, the only other thing I could see that would help you is if you were holding an elected office :)

Cassidy77

NavyOffRec,
I appreciate your taking the time to read my lengthy post. To your last point, I was on a Boro Committee and it taught me all I need to know about avoiding politics. Ha. Thanks again.

Cassidy77

I was Non-Select. I was informed during my interviews by two CDRs that it would take two panels in all likelihood. I hear my interviews received perfect scores but as has been discussed before the competition is strong and there are a lot of deserving individuals out there. Now to wait for the FY14 announcement and give it another shot.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I'm sorry to hear that Cassidy77. Your creds looked highly competetive. Maybe there were no selects from your board due to no slots being available. Good luck on the next board. Keep the PT up so you'll be ready when they select you next go around.

Cassidy77

Thanks. No discouragement on my end. I have the ego to know I'm a good candidate but the humility to know that there are folks ahead of me that are very discouraging. I'm consulting one of the Officers I interviewed with about tweaking my package and will give it another go. On PT I'm competing in my first Tri in less than 10 days and am going for my areas 5-Race Summer Series so I will be in good shape if called upon.

Good Luck to anyone else out there putting themselves forth.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
When did you get your results, yesterday? On another note, I just signed up for my first marathon and i'm looking forward to it! I would love to do a Tri after that. It sounds like you are pretty active.