• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing Market in San Diego

Circle K

pilot
I am just about ready to fill out my preference card (winging June 30 or July 28, no winging on the 14th) and have a few questions about the current housing market in the greater San Diego area. The wife and I are strongly considering it. We would like to stay CONUS but would like to get away from the East Coast. The problem is, we would really like to buy a house at this point.

1. Am I completely crazy for even thinking a house can be afforded on an O-2 salary/BAH? (The wife has a degree in Computer Science/IT but hasn't worked in the industry while we've been moving every 6 months in the training command. It would take her some time to get a job and probably won't be able to factor into how much we can borrow.)

2. To get into relatively affordable housing (300K ish), what kind of drive am I looking at? We'd like to have 3BR but two is fine as well, approx. 1300-1500 sq. feet. If the answer to question #1 is no, please recommend some communities to being looking into.

Yes I did multiple searches, most information was on renting, and most was from early to mid 2005, obviously the market is extremely fluid.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Housing is very expensive out here, but not completely unatainable. I don't know what your overall financial status is, i.e car loans, student loans, credit cards, etc., but I know of other O-2s who have bought recently. I was stationed out here in 2003 as a LTJG and my wife and I bought a 3br/1bath/1000sq ft house in La Mesa (12 miles door to door on NASNI) for $326,900. When we got back out here this spring we found a 3/2/1350 sq ft in the same area of La Mesa for $495,000. As you can see, prices have really gone up. I'd say you can get a condo in the size range you want for not much more than 300K, but a single family home might be tough. There are lots of nice suburbs within 10-15 miles of NASNI that are great for family living. Most of my single buddies want to be downtown, or near the beach so they can stumble home after a wild night. The prices close in are totally out of sight. I think some studio condos in the Gaslamp Quarter were going for over 500K recently. Anyway, I could go on for ever but nobody probably wants to hear. Send me a PM if you want more infoa bout realtors, first time buyer programs, etc. We love it here, and can't imagine any place we'd rather be.