• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing in Corpus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eric,

I might be able to answer some of that, I just left good old Corpus a couple of weeks ago, though I didn't live in Housing on base, I had a couple of friends that did. The housing was OK, not some of the worst I have seen in the military, and it must be really nice to be able to hop out of bed for an early 0500 brief, without a long drive in. Your best bet is to get on the wait list as soon as possible, you can do that once you have transferred from the command you are now stationed at. Give CC housing a call at the number below, and they will provide you with the information you need. It looks like the wait list is running around 3 months right now, but my friends were able to get a place immediately when we got here for Advanced last April, it all depends on timing.

There are also numerous apartment complexes that are nice out in town, and you only have about a 15 minute drive into the base. If you want more info on that I can also give my impressions, since I have seen most of the places from going over to other friends apts (and hearing their complaints about certain places) while I was there.

Anyways, here is some information that might be helpful. What phase of training are you in? All the best,

John
The NAS Corpus Christi Housing Web Site
http://navaltx.navy.mil/nascchousing/

quote:
http://www.housing.navy.mil/pcshouse/prnt.cfm?targetloc=CORPUS CHRISTI NAS

Family Housing: (DSN) 861-3336 (COMMERCIAL) (361) 961-3336
Family Housing FAX: (DSN)861-3629 (COMMERCIAL) (361) 961-3629

Family Housing Waiting List (# of Months)
E1-E3 E4-E6 E7-E9 W1-03 04-05 06
2 BR 8-12 8-12 N/A 3-6 N/A N/A
3 BR 6-8 6-8 6-8 12 N/A N/A
4 BR 6-8 6-8 6-8 6-12 6-12 6
5 BR

Other useful links for now and in the future:

The Navy Housing web page.
http://www.housing.navy.mil/

Standard Installation Topic Exchange Site (SITEs) website.
http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/sites/owa/ShowPage?p=index

NAS Corpus Officer Housing

NAS Corpus Entrance

Eric Danielsen

Thanks John that is just the kind of stuff I was looking for. Opinions on different places would be great too.
Right now I am getting ready to start RIs here in Whiting. I should select right after christmas if all goes well. Looking at P-3s, but you know as well as I do what can and cannot happen on selection day.
Are you in Actionville now??
-Thanks again-
ERIC

FLY NAVY

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eric,

Yeah, I am in Jax right now, enjoying what little leave I was able to get between finishing Advanced with VT31, and then BOLC in Corpus, I have to check in next week, and the whole thing starts all over again, at least this time I know I will be flying the plane I am memorizing all the info for for a good 3 years!!

As for off base, and living out in the community, you basically have three options:

1. Flour Bluff, which is right next to the base, on the little island there, mostly you will only find houses there.

2. South Padre Island, which is right east of the base, and as the name indicates is right on the beach (though the beaches in CC suck, IMHO, especially after seeing the ones in PCOLA). A lot of single guys get houses out there and split the rent, a couple of my other friends rented houses out there also. You are looking at the same commute time as from Corpus, but you are also away from all the restraunts/shopping/movies etc....

3. Live in Corpus itself, which is to the west of the base. The main "drag" or highway is called S.P.I.D. (and yes, for some reason everyone spells everything out when they say it here, gotta love south texas). Anyways, it runs right through Corpus from West to East, past the base, and then onto the South Padres Island, hence the name of the road, South Padre Island Drive. Some of the benefits are living closer to all the restraunts, etc. though I don't think the mall in Corpus is all that great, in the 6 months I was there I only visited it twice (guess I have grown up spoiled with malls up North, oh well). Also, if you are interested in your internet connection, you can get a DSL connection through SWBELL or ClearSource almost anywhere in Corpus itself, but not out on the island or on base. Maybe ATT has their Cable modems up and running by now also.

Hope that info is useful, good luck on selection, and if you get P3s drop me a line.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.