• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Household goodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Williams

I report to OCS on March 3 and was wondering what is the process to retrieve one's household goods. They are being put into storage and there will be no family around. They will also be placed with stuff that stays in Phoenix. Also i heard a rumor that the Navy will foot the bill for the storage, and last but not least what about Taking the car to OCS. I really dont want to drive to Florida in a 1980 CJ7 Jeep (long trip).I guess the end goal is to Uhaul my goods with the Jeep in tow. Any ideas

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jason,

Basically how you handle your move your Household Goods (HHG) is up to what your orders state. Typically there are four types of moves:

(1) DITY (Do it yourself move) where you get payed up front a portion of the moving costs based on your estimated weight. You take your Ryder/Uhaul or your own car/truck and get it weighed at a weigh station empty, and then after you pile all your stuff in, go back and get it weighed full. So basically you have a weight ticket to provide the gov't with when you put your claim in. The accounting folks take this info, and basically pay you for the distance you moved from one duty station to the next (or in your case, your home of record on your entrance into the military). For someone with not a lot of stuff, this is a really good way to go. Some thoughts on this subject:

AUTO INSURANCE: I don't know what your Auto Insurance policy is, but USAA and some others cover the Ryder trucks, so you don't have to buy the extra insurance from the rental company.

RENTERS INSURANCE: Also, if you have a home ownders or renters insurance, that will cover all the contents of the move in case of an accident or the goods are stolen in transit.

DISCOUNTS: Finally, make sure you mention that it is a military move, you will more than likely get a nice discount. In my last move I did a partial DITY, and played Ryder off against Penske and got a lower price quoted. It also pays to reserve in advance.

(2) The other move is where the Navy hires a moving company for you, and you set up a pack out date. The movers will come and pack up your stuff and inventory it, and move it to the next destination for you. Some thoughts on this:

- PENCIL WHIPPING: Be really careful on how they inventory your items, the movers have a tendency to write down every minor little scratch or mar on you furniture and personal posessions. You have a remarks section where you can counter their comments. A good idea is to take a camcorder and walk around and video tape your stuff, especially high value items.

- DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE: If you can't be at your move personnally, you can designate an individual that has the authority to either ship and/or recieve your goods, family, friends, basically anyone you trust to do the job right.

- STORAGE: The military will store your household goods for you at the next duty station for up to 90 days (may be 120 now), and after that you can request an extension for another 90 days.

- ADVANCE SHIPMENT: This is basically a low weight shipment that you can send in advance of your household goods with the movers, usually low weight, but people use it to move pots/pans/linen and other items that may be needed while waiting for the rest of your HHG to catch up with you, really useful for overseas.

- THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MOVERS: They driver will always say to you, "Yes sir, I will be there on Monday", you hear this statement, just laugh. Your driver is required to be at the destination by a certain date, and no earlier, so he can stop along the way and visit people, while you are at the destination sitting in an empty apartment trying to get the Household Goods office to find out where your belongings are.

If you have a question about something, call the HHG representative. The movers are there for you, they tend to want to get the job done early, and get out of there. Especially when they drop off your stuff, you can make them unpack everything, since they are getting paid for it, but usually they press you to head out the door.

Watch what you are signing, and if you have a question, once again call the HHG Rep, they can clear stuff up.

(3) PARTIAL DITY - this is basically where you do a combination of both moves, where you have the Navy hire movers to transport some of your belongings, and you take the rest.

(4) POV (PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE) MOVE - the military will move your auto for you when you go overseas (Hawaii, etc) but back in CONUS, you are stuck doing it yourself.

I don't honeslty know what your entrance requirements are, but I would assume that you aren't going to be able to move anything till after OCS, and that still depends on if you are only staying Pcola for API, that short a period and the Navy won't pay for a move there. This is just conjecture on my part, maybe some else who went through OCS can shed some light on it. As for the vehicle at OCS, I remember reading an earlier post about people bring their car, and stashing some stuff in it (kinda impractical with a CJ7), but it might come in handy if you get liberty, suddenly you become very popular if you are the only one with a set of wheels...

Just some general thoughts and ramblings from my 10 Navy moves to date...

Jason Williams

Hey Matt Thanks for the Advice. I dont want to drag my house around with me either. But i also dont want to pay for storage for 6 months. Im a prior and I know first hand how long it takes the great logistical system of the US military to get household goods across the country. (6 months from pack to unpack Hawaii)I understand it will be shorter in the CONUS. Also about the car will they pay mileage from my home state to OCS. Thanks for all the help and answers. I think I know more going into to this one than i learned in my 3 years on active.

Jeff29

Science Project
The Navy should store your stuff, at their expense, for quite a while. They stored mine for almost 10 months. Two months before OCS (my request), during OCS, 6 weeks between OCS and my next school (I had to apply for an extension after OCS. Basically just told them that I was going on to another school), 3 1/2 months while in school, and a month after school. They actually even extended it 90 days beyond the time I finished school. From my experience, it's just a matter of asking for an extension after 90 days (or the end of each TDY), and if you have a half-decent reason, they'll give it to you.

Jason Williams

Hey Jeff did you have to store the goods with the Navy or at a place of your choosing. Im trying to swing it to where they pay my hanger rent at the same time. Of course it will also be home to my household goods. Id like to take advantage of everything they offer. Thanks for the info

Jeff29

Science Project
Jason,

I think my stuff was stored at a moving company's warehouse, but I'm not sure. I didn't get to choose. It sounds to me like your best bet is to do a DITY. If you do it all yourself, the Navy will pay you 80% (I think) of what it would cost them. That way, you'll get to store the stuff where you want, and you'll probably actually make some money. I highly doubt that the Navy would pick your goods up and store them in your hanger because of liability issues, but if you do it yourself, they should reimburse the storage costs (along with packing and moving).

Dave,
Your recruiter told me that the extension is a temporary thing, and he gave me some other good info. I now need do make the decision as to whether or not it's worth leaving my family for long periods of time. I'm also looking at the ANG and AF Res, but I'd have to wait until the end of my Navy commitment, and I'd still have to deal with age issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.