• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hook'n the Helo VERTREP style

H20man

Drill baby drill!
By far the most exciting thing I have done.

This had my blood pumping and adrenaline (sp) going, something roller coasters can't even do anymore.

Having the helo right above you is quite amazing, from the wind pushing and pulling you to the salt spray in your face.

First few times I had some help, then I did most of what was left after that with training for a few other people in between.

I have a lot more pics and some video of the evolution, this is the first time i did it, so hopefully by the time I detach I should have some good pics, also had to resize it so the ship could handle it

Also for the Helo guys on here, what do you use as a reference point when approaching the guy with the pole, when they would start the approach I would have the pole up with plenty of time before they came in, I think they were training as the first half of the evolution they were coming in from way out, and at the end they were just sliding back and forth between the ships.

Hope everyone enjoys.

H20man

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 216

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did this on a summer cruise in ROTC, pretty neat huh? I remember thinking "please don't have an engine failure"

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
H20man said:
By far the most exciting thing I have done.
Do they still vertrep with H-53s? If you don't properly ground them before the hookup, the static shock will send you flying overboard. Saw it happen once on the TR. That was exciting......

Bevo16

pilot
My technique is to pick a reference point and shoot the approach to the spot over the guy. Then we pass verbal control over to our crewman and he/she directs us to the hook up man.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Don't know how its done in the fleet, but I'm sure Bevo knows what he's talking about. In helo advanced we shot the approach to a particular spot, and then once we got close the crewman in the back gave us directions to come forward/back, left/right, up/down as necessary since he can actually see.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bevo said:
My technique is to pick a reference point and shoot the approach to the spot over the guy. Then we pass verbal control over to our crewman and he/she directs us to the hook up man.

Ditto.

East Coast det I think. 400 series is Mayport if I remember correctly.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
Do they still vertrep with H-53s? If you don't properly ground them before the hookup, the static shock will send you flying overboard. Saw it happen once on the TR. That was exciting......

We do mostly internal cargo (VOD...vertical onboard delivery) we can fit 10-12k lbs inside (jet engines, canopies, mail, ice cream, ho-ho, etc.). Mostly do external lifts for real heavy stuff like Humvees, other aircraft, etc... We do put out an extraordinary amount of static electricity, so the aircraft has to be grounded before personnel can interact with the external cargo hook.

Attachments

• Images_pics_FullRes_gallery07.jpg
    Images_pics_FullRes_gallery07.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Images_pics_FullRes_gallery03.jpg
    Images_pics_FullRes_gallery03.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 115

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BigIron said:
We do mostly internal cargo (VOD...vertical onboard delivery) we can fit 10-12k lbs inside (jet engines, canopies, mail, ice cream, ho-ho, etc.). Mostly do external lifts for real heavy stuff like Humvees, other aircraft, etc... We do put out an extraordinary amount of static electricity, so the aircraft has to be grounded before personnel can interact with the external cargo hook.
During my Desert Storm cruise on TR, the 53s used to vertrep ammo to us alot. They would drop a load then move forward a little and pick up the empty ammo crates from the last replenishment. There were always 2 guys under the helo for the pick up, one with a grounding pole and one to hook up the load. We always hoped they stayed in sync and the grounding pole hit the helo first. Occasionally an over-eager new guy would hook up first. Usually he just got knocked on his ass but one guy went flying over the side. Not funny when it happened but hilarious on the replay over the ship's TV. He was picked up with nothing more than a strong headache.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I don't know if we will be doing VERTREP with H-53s, but we do have a wind diagram for them.

Yeah, I remeber the crewman lying on his belly and seeing him talk to the pilots.

A couple of times the helo would be right above me and then get buffeted and drop a few feet, first time scared the crap out of me, because the next thing I knew I had a wheel right next to my head.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
The ever changing flightdeck.

We were doing VERTREP with a set of 2 helos today so the pace was a lot faster, I had gone out to hook a set of 4 pallets to the helo, when one of the pallets about chest high started to tip over on me, lucky this was a light pallet and I was aware of it, but the fact that it came down bothered the crap out of me.

It also left me with pretty much one escape route which was straight back toward the house due to the cords and the other pallets.

Also the approach was a lot different, instead of coming straight in over the deck (as it is in the picture above) they were approaching from an angle then sliding over the deck with the nose either facing to starboard or port.

Now I admit it was damn good looking, but a little uncomfortable as the approach was usually pretty low and they were coming in pretty fast. .

A couple of times they came in low enough that if I wanted to I could have touched it (no thanks I think I'll aviod the shock).

Like I said, damn good looking but there is nothing like having the helo slide in sideways and the tail rotor looking at you

Another scary thing is watching small bits of broken pallet get turned into little spears of death after the helo picks them up and they start to crack, no injuries, just interesting to watch it fly by.

Another question for the helo guys, for VERTREP is there an SOP on how to approach the ship or is it done as you see fit, like I said I saw a very different style from what I did last time.

I also found out from some of the unlicensed guys, that the H-53 doesn't do VERTREP either, at least for this ship.

JD Frog

pilot
H-46 Driver, here (also a little HAL followed by HCS combat SAR).

I've been lurking a little as I have two sons working their way through Pensacola right now.

I cringe thinking about tailrotors replacing the 46. That bird was just so tolerant in sideways and backwards flight that I can't think the job will ever be done as quickly as with two to four 46's in a well timed dance.

Regarding the approach......the approaches in the eighties (my 46 days) were dictated by winds, ship postioning and the type of ship decks involved (some decks require athwarships approaches and departures only). My favorite (and most difficult to get the hang of) was when the supply ship was following the receiving ship. That way you had good wind through the rotors for picking up the heavy loads and kept it as you moved forward to the drop ship. But on the way back....... Buttonhook! You fly down the side of the supply ship while kicking the tail out so that you are facing the bridge at all times as you slide aft. You should be facing the ships pointy end (and sliding backwards) to the point where you can kick the tail another 90 degrees and move the helo directly over you pickup without hesitation. It was basically a 270 degree turn made while flying backwards along the side of the ship.

I also remember a time on my nugget cruise when a bird farm airboss was barking at his own aircraft as we approached to begin vertrep. When we checked in, he said something like "The deck is yours. Do whatever it is you guys do. Let me know when you are done."

That kind of flying worked best when the ships relinquished all but basic control as it was very well briefed by the crews involved.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
JD Frog said:
I cringe thinking about tailrotors replacing the 46.

Have no fear. The 46 bubbas did well to train their eager replacements

That bird was just so tolerant in sideways and backwards flight that I can't think the job will ever be done as quickly as with two to four 46's in a well timed dance.

MH-60S still is and can lift 6K when on fumes.

Regarding the approach......the approaches in the eighties (my 46 days) were dictated by winds, ship postioning and the type of ship decks involved (some decks require athwarships approaches and departures only). My favorite (and most difficult to get the hang of) was when the supply ship was following the receiving ship. That way you had good wind through the rotors for picking up the heavy loads and kept it as you moved forward to the drop ship. But on the way back....... Buttonhook! You fly down the side of the supply ship while kicking the tail out so that you are facing the bridge at all times as you slide aft. You should be facing the ships pointy end (and sliding backwards) to the point where you can kick the tail another 90 degrees and move the helo directly over you pickup without hesitation. It was basically a 270 degree turn made while flying backwards along the side of the ship.

Bow-on approach...the most fun you can have legally.

I also remember a time on my nugget cruise when a bird farm airboss was barking at his own aircraft as we approached to begin vertrep. When we checked in, he said something like "The deck is yours. Do whatever it is you guys do. Let me know when you are done."

Hehe...happened on my first cruise numberous times.

That kind of flying worked best when the ships relinquished all but basic control as it was very well briefed by the crews involved.

Damn right.

phrogpilot73

JD Frog said:
I cringe thinking about tailrotors replacing the 46. That bird was just so tolerant in sideways and backwards flight that I can't think the job will ever be done as quickly as with two to four 46's in a well timed dance.
Think about how I feel when I think about TILTROTORS replacing the lovely old gal...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Was walking to the Chilean FF Almirante Williams in their port here in Valparaiso, and these guys are doing Vertrep whist moored alongside another ship.

Was chuckling at the thought of us trying to do this in Norfolk and watching the SWO’s heads explode...