• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Home of Record and other Application questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca320

I am filling out my application at the moment instead of writing a compiler and I have a few questions.

Home of record, what is it, what should I put? Talked to my father about it, he listed Seaford, NY back in 69 as his parents were there. He got married in 71 and the Navy would only pay to fly him to NY not JAX. Does it still have such power now?

Also, date to commence officer training. This won't affect my app if I put 12/31/04 or something inbetween. I was thinking of working on the Bush Campaign, or maybe just taking a small break.

Thanks

John

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
What most people put is where they live as their home of record. IE parents house or some other permanent residence. As far as the navy paying for you to go home... lol
If you find out how to get working, let me know. Your home of record will never affect the city's you are allowed to take leave to or travel to. Mind you, this will all be on your own dime.... Navy is not going to say, " ok your going on leave, we will fly you to your home town."

As far as the date, I did not go through OCS so I have no idea if that will have and effect on your app. But if it is anything like the rest of the navy, you can request a date and then they will say ok thanks for the input, here is when we want you here.

Good luck

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
home of record

John -

Somewhere in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations,(I can't find the link at the moment), home of record (HOR) is defined as the place from where you joined
the military. (ie - some people choose where they are attending school, some people choose the state in which their parents reside.) Initially it will only impact which state you choose as your initial state of legal residence or domicile. You can change your domicile later on in your career to one of the state to which you are assigned, which mostly has income tax implications. I don't think that officers can change their HOR.

When the Navy PAOs send out info about your commissioning, winging ,etc they will send out blurbs to the local newspaper in the town of your home of record. HOR has its greatest importance when you are about to leave the military, as in your father's cases. This is because the Navy will pay to move you and your stuff only as far as the distance between where you are and your HOR.

Does that make sense? Email me off-line if you have more specific questions.

Here is a link to a longer (but entertaining) explanation from an Army Legal Assistance Attorney, as well as the other scenarios for changing your legal state of residence, etc. Since it is based on the Federal Travel Regulations, it should apply equally well to Sailors, Marines, and Airmen.
http://www.detrick.army.mil/services/tax/homeofrecord.pdf

I have no clue about how OCS works, except that the drill instructors don't like people taking pictures of the aviation chapel at sunrise when the candidates are PTing. Hmmm....

Cheers -
Rugger

jca320 said:
I am filling out my application at the moment instead of writing a compiler and I have a few questions.

Home of record, what is it, what should I put? Talked to my father about it, he listed Seaford, NY back in 69 as his parents were there. He got married in 71 and the Navy would only pay to fly him to NY not JAX. Does it still have such power now?

Also, date to commence officer training. This won't affect my app if I put 12/31/04 or something inbetween. I was thinking of working on the Bush Campaign, or maybe just taking a small break.

Thanks

John

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
When you enter active duty, new officers are allowed 1 Navy-paid move of your household goods to your first PCS station from your home of record. Ask yourself where you will want to move your stuff from.

Secondly, officers are allowed a one-time change of home of record. It requires filling out a bunch of forms at PSD and can take up to 90 days to process the change.

Other than the home of record move upon entering the Navy, the biggest thing to consider is where you want the Navy to move you & your family when you leave the Navy.

jca320

airgreg said:
Other than the home of record move upon entering the Navy, the biggest thing to consider is where you want the Navy to move you & your family when you leave the Navy.

Thanks.

When it comes to defining my "home," I don't really have one. Like I said, my father was in the Navy for 14 years or so. I was Born in JAX, moved to Dallas (Dallas NAS), then to Dayton and then Orange County, CA.

Parents are in Detroit and I am schooling in San Diego. So with the above info, I should pick Upper Penninsula of MI where the Family has had land for the last 80 years.

Thanks Guys.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.