• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey! Hey! VAQ -131 Returns !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey! Hey! Hey! VAQ -131 Returns !!!

THE LANCERS JUST RETURNED FROM ... Shangri-La???
vaq131.gif

Here's some really bad, hurry-up thumbnail pixs of the break -- #4 needed to tighten it up, by the way. :icon_smil I didn't know they were a'comin or I would have got them in my lens when they flew over the packing crate that I live in -- sounded great when they passed overhead. These shots were taken from @ 4 miles south of the tower .... Only a 4-plane (*sigh*) ... where are the other 12 aircraft for the 4X4 diamond fly-over??

Just after they broke and landed -- the sun came out. Too bad -- we have had sunny days for the previous 2 weeks.

Attachments

• DSC019881.JPG
    DSC019881.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC019891.JPG
    DSC019891.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 119

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
A4sForever said:
Only a 4-plane (*sigh*) ... where are the other 12 aircraft for the 4X4 diamond fly-over??

Only a 4-plane? Remember Intruder division breaks every day?

I did four cruises out of Whidbey and got one fly-by:

1993 - Section approach due to Wx. High light was our lead dumping to max trap (A-6E) on downwind to 13. :eek:

1995 - 19 plane flyby - 1 EA-6B, 2 A-6 vic leading a 4x4 diamond with 4 EA's in the slot. :icon_smil

1998 - Left our jets in the Gulf with 136 and 137. C-9 fly-in (in SDB's, thanks Skipper) :icon_rage

2003 - Single GCA's due to WX. :(

flynavy26

WARPIG DRIVER
I had some good friends in 131 after doing three WestPacs with VF-2 onboard the good old Connie. Of course now VF-2 is VFA-2, attached to the Linc. Is 131 still in airwing TWO?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I knew I would suck-in Brett and Meat with this thread ... :) QUESTION: do "they" no longer paint the EA-6 nose with some kind of LSO "gouge" to facilitate telling the difference between the bomber and electric ?? Since there are no more bombers ... ??? :(

ea6b.jpg
ea6b-03.jpg
EA6B.jpg

updatba.gif
ROGER TACTICAL-JAMMER BALL !!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll let the guys know they needed to tighten it up a bit. I just got back today as well, leading the 4 plane COD detachment of Airwing 2.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Only a 4-plane? Remember Intruder division breaks every day?
We managed to fly-in/over on all 3 of my NUW RTB's. We'd beat-up Oak Harbor with @ 500 ' AGL, > 400 KIAS with 12-16 aircraft. Great stuff -- just keep going back and forth until the first "low-fuel" light appeared. Show those steenkin' Dutchmen "the Fleet's In" ... or for those of you < 35 years of age -- "the Boy's are Back in Town".

Two 12-plane fly-in's, One 16-plane 4X4 with VAQ-136 bringing up the rear diamond. I think a guy we called "Big Wally" was the VAQ C.O. ... a very strange individual, indeed. Hope he's not your Father ... :eek:

BUT ONLY A FOUR PLANE FLY-IN !?! WHY, HECK, SIR !! That's what the Whales used to do ...

flyover.jpg

HEAVY-4 (VAH-4) fly-in @ NAS Whidbey, @ 1964.

beau

ah you cant expect the weather to be awesome for the fly-in. Only remember one as a kid when my paps was CO coming back from the Forest Fire.

A-4's,

You living up at Whidbey? Man I wish I could get up there sometime and set up a crab trap.....ah memories!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bunk22 said:
I'll let the guys know they needed to tighten it up a bit. I just got back today as well, leading the 4 plane COD detachment of Airwing 2.
Welcome back, sailor. BTW ... it was, indeed, #4 who was flying AF formation. Same-way, same-day ... :) They looked good in the break, however -- sucked it up?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
beau said:
A-4's, You living up at Whidbey? Man I wish I could get up there sometime and set up a crab trap.....ah memories!

I used to have some crabs -- but not here @ Whidbey ... think I got 'em on 3/C Midshipman cruise. My Mom nearly threw me out of the house when I returned, thinking myself quite the war hero. I at least thought I would get a home-cooked meal, first.

Crabs.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
do "they" no longer paint the EA-6 nose with some kind of LSO "gouge" to facilitate telling the difference between the bomber and electric ?? Since there are no more bombers ... ???
It's no longer required, but some squadrons do it for a little extra "flair." Normally, at 133, we just had it on our "CAG" bird, but when we went to Japan, all 5 A/C got a nice big radiation symbol. They eat that stuff up over there ;)

Good times,

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Some say they're Same-O, same-O... but not I :)

Just the fact that NUW isn't right next to all those militant leftists in SFO is reason enough to like it more, although SEA does have its share.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Speaking of Whales.

Twice, I have been sitting at the O-Club the Friday before the Whidbey Airshow when a big old Whale comes thundering into the break. One of the Raytheon birds from Long Beach. What a great big beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.