• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HEY FRUMBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slivur

....I can read again!! I have to fly down to Texas to see the flight surgeon 'cause there's none here in Colorado. They sent me to an army base nearby to do the dilating so they were sure I'd pass that part before they wasted money on a plane ticket. Everything went well yesterday, so now I get to sit around and wait till December.

Edited by - slivur on 11/09/2001 15:17:40

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
OK, For Topdog: The Corps will only pay 25 hours fixed wing in a Cessna or similar aircraft. Doubtful you will get any time in a helo but you can always ask your OSO. Never hurts to ask.
For Slivur: First off, I know your desire to want to fly jets but you have to balance that desire to also want to be a Marine. Less then 3% of all Marine aviators are jet pilots. Does that put a little perspective on the difficulty of selection. Selection varies from week to week. As I've said to many before, get used to the phrase "Needs of the service." If they don't need jet slots filled when you come up for selection, you're not going to fly jets. I will admit, right now is a good time to be going into the service to fly jets. The Corps and the Navy is in need of fixed wing aviators. I hope that helps. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

slivur

Thanks for the info Frumby. I'll just go in with my goals set high. It's not that I don't want to fly helo's, I'd be very happy doing so, but jets are my goal. It's nice knowing what I need to shoot for.

O-man

Maj. Frumby-
you say that its a good time to get in, because they are needing a good deal of jets- Does this sort of trend sometimes last a while- or is it unpredictable? After I graduate in may, I go to the summer OCC class, get out in Aug and get to go strait to TBS- then I get to go to P-cola.Do you have any idea if this "good time" could still be there? is it true that the best students from the top, middle and bottom third of flight school get there pick to spread out the talent? I cant remember where I heard that. SAmper Fi-
O-man USMC

Phiman

I also was wondering this, I'm applying to the 2-year ROTC program, with a 2.88 gpa and some other stuff that hopefully will weigh in my favor, which isn't great but isn't too bad, and I've been stressing out about whether or not I'll get in to the program. I know that each year is different, but is this year/semester going to be a good year to apply or what? Is the navy in need of officers? Thanks.
-Jason

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If this your dream then any year is a good time to get into the show. In current conditions, republican president and a war which money is being funneled to the military at a greater rate, this is definitely a good time to "sign up!" In regards to jet selections, you never know. As I have said before and I'll say again, "NEEDS OF THE SERVICE." Don't worry about it. Be happy that you get the opportunity to go to flight school because less then 1% of Americans have a shot. Do your best so that when selection out of primary comes along, you can look at yourself in the mirror and say that you have no regrets and that you did your best. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Phiman

Yeah, I'm not too worried about jets, basically because as long as I'm in the air I'll be perfectly happy. So all I'm really worried about now is getting into NROTC and getting to flight school, everything after that is icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.