• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

heres the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

navr

i am 24 years old, graduated college in 2001 with a ba in sociology. I have been working ever since, but have never lost the dream of becoming a naval officer. could anybody help me gage what my chances are of being accepted to ocs with the college degree and plenty of work experience. Im wishing for SNA.

perchul

well it all really comes down to whether your willing to do what you need to at this point...first off you need to decide whether your looking to become a naval officer or an Officer of Marines. You posted this question in the Marines part of the forum but you say you want to be a naval officer you may want to decide on this part first. If you want to go Marines at this point you better be in good shape or be willing to put in the time to get there, and much like the Navy you will need strong ASTB scores, get through the medical, achieve that strong PFT score, and hopefully have a high gpa. Another thing is do research, you shouldn't of need to post this question because many have come before you on this forum with the same question...I believe one of the qualities of a competent officer is that he/she will look for the answers instead of having them handed to them.

Daedalus

I believe that this is a forum and if you want answers to questions, this is the place to do it. You have sought answers to your questions and that is the important thing. Probably no one since Newton has derived Physics from observation of nature, we were all 'handed them' by the process of learning and asking questions. So many times on this forum people ask, what are my chances and what do I need to do, and the like, and people who know say....well search for it, we have already had this discussion. If you want an encyclopedia, go to the library, if you want answers to questions, this is a great place for it. (Thanks webmaster)

In answer to your question: someone sometime in the past has asked and answered your question, so why do you deserve an answer? Just kidding.
In terms of chances, because of the economy and other factors slots are pretty much closed for now. Good qualities to have (from what I’ve read and asked) are, a tech degree (good but not necessary) a high gpa, high fitness scores, high ASTB scores, and being conceived and delivered in a cockpit.

Barring this, your perfect record, when the need increases for pilots, due to an improving economy, among other factors, the competition could decrease, and qualified, well rounded, but less than perfect candidates might be considered.

I am in a similar situation. I am preparing myself to apply for a SNA slot in the future (after PRK and improving my PRT) I graduated in 02 with a BA in Finance. So my advise (however humble) is to find the PRT standards, max them to your ability, study and take the ASTB, and do whatever you can to improve your ap. I have always been interested in engineering, and am taking physics and calc classes, which might help my ap. Another thing…if you really want it, go for it and don’t give up.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask that’s what this forum is all about.

perchul

yeah I'm totally wrong, its worthless to do the footwork on this forum to find the answers to your questions and discover more questions that you should ask through your search...what was I thinking.

Slots maybe pretty much closed in the Navy, but the need for pilots in the Marines has doubled this year so depending on where you want to go there may or may not be slots, but there are surely slots

Status
Not open for further replies.