• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Here's my story. What's your advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0ldier93

s0ldier93
Hello all-

Here's my story so far: Active US Navy for 4 years and 4 months (extended for the results of an officer package, didn't happen). Made E-5 while active. Went reserve, to accomidate college before my age got too high. Still a reservist. I've completed my degree from ERAU. Major was Professional Aeronauitics, Minors are Aviation Safety and Business Management. Also, I've gotten my PPL and have an IFR class at my favorite flight school in my sights.

I am currently located in Warner Robins, Ga near Robins AFB. By my calculations, at age 28 (29 this year), I have exactly one shot to fly for the military. In the sprit of keeping my options open, I am considering Navy, then Air National Guard. It's been very storngly suggested to me the the Air Force is out of the question due to my major not being Engineering.

Having delt with them already, I am well aware of the hardships involved of being in the military. I am looking for any advice or direction given my current situation and status. Please let me know if any further detail or elaboration is needed. Thank you.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Best bet is to go see an officer recruiter. He/she can give you the skinny. Being a prior, you have up to the day before you 31'st birthday to get a commision for SNA. If you want to do the FO thing then you get till your 33'rd birthday. Study for the ASTB. Its not all that fun or hard, but you need to score well on that test. Hopefully you have a good GPA (the higher the better). Work on your application and give it all you can. Being a prior will help some when your package goes up the chain. Good luck!

s0ldier93

s0ldier93
Roger that. I'm also still a reservist, but the best I can tell is that it doesn't really count for much more than comissary use and base tags.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The real bennies of being a reservist while applying for OCS are the letters from your current chain of command endorsing your application. Prior service is a big help, they will see your service record, but the current reccomendations tell a different story.

s0ldier93

s0ldier93
wink said:
The real bennies of being a reservist while applying for OCS are the letters from your current chain of command endorsing your application. Prior service is a big help, they will see your service record, but the current reccomendations tell a different story.

Chapter 2 of my story. My civilian job while completing college was as a technician on NAS Oceana doing exactly what I did when I was active duty. Lucked out big time in that regard in that there was no learning curve and I worked with allot of sailors I already knew. I drilled at VFC-12 on the same base for reserve duty.

A few months ago a new Admiral was put in charge. Basically this person wanted to cut down on the amount of civilian personnel on the base. 34 of the 55 people who were on the same contract as I were laid off. Me included. Long story short, being that I did not have a house, and I had completed my classes, I took the option to geographically relocate within the company. That's what brougt me to Warner Robins, Ga. I have recently reaffiliated with a new unit at NAS Atlanta. But due to paperwork and indoc, I have yet to drill with that unit.

I think I may make contact with my old squadron to get letters of recomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.