• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help! DD214 Lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Ruiz

I need help with getting a number or point of contact to find out if my service record from when i was enlisted is complete or if it is missing my DD214. I was a squid for 4 years. when i got separated, i went to PSD and signed my DD214 and happily left home. 4 months after i got separated, another DD214 came in the mail asking me to sign it and return it.
When i was in the navy, people scared me so much about this DD214 that I decided to keep the one i was sent and put it in my personal file. Now, I am getting to send a package for officer, and i dont want my package to be delayed because i never returned my DD214.

Can someone please help me with this issue? Who can I contact? Frumby? (OC) Shutter? John Wickham? You guys are pretty knowledgable with the military.

Thank you,

Steven

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steven,

It sounds like you don't really have anything to worry about. Typically, when you seperate you get your DD214 at PSD, but for those that go on terminal leave or for other reasons aren't around, the 214 is mailed to them. Sounds like two entities weren't talking to each other (surprise). As long as you have your 214, I don't think there are any problems.

I WOULD check both of your 214s against each other, and make sure everything is ok. Also, you can requst the 214 that is on file from the national archives, go here to this website, and you can download their application, and send it in:

http://www.nara.gov/regional/mprsf180.html

Hope that helps.

John Wickham

Steven Ruiz

John,

Thank you for your quick responce.

Sorry, but I failed to mention that I did go on terminal leave, so, I did not receive my copy of my DD214 when i left. But they were supposed to send it to me. What they sent me was another DD214 to sign and sent back. Why?? I dont know.
But, i never sent it back. I just kept it. Anyway, i think i am goint to request it as you recommended and see if they have it on file.

Again, thanks for your help.

Aloha,

Steven

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Stvn27,

you can also get a copy from Veteran Affairs

1-800-827-1000

Dave

Dave Shutter

Thanx all for the info on getting new copies cuz I need one! I don't know if they still do it this way (I ETS'd in '93) but my DD214 was about ten sheets with carbon paper in between. Of the copies I ended up with two, a full one and another with the bottom section (important codes for your status) blacked out. I fac/copied the full original but it dissapeared after that. I have the copy (lousy) and the original with the bottom blocked out, but I want a full original. One of the copies ends up in your records somewhere, if you have another original I don't think you'll have a problem as far as your records go, they'll get the info they need; if they do have trouble your recruiter will know about it 5 minutes later.

BTW, anyone going to be at NAS Willow Grove PA this Sunday?! BLUE ANGELS BABY!!!

(OC) Shutter SNA, 50 days to Poopie week!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/08/2001 01:59:00

Tahoe

Dave,

Saw the Blue's a few weeks ago up in Duluth, great show...actually got a chance to talk with a few of them..great insight!

It looks like I might be in the class right before yours or in your actual class...I find out towards the end of this week. I'll let you know more soon.

-Dave

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Steven,
Sorry I've been gone. Sounds like admin has the best advice. If all is correct on the DD214 then I would not worry about slowing up your package.I would, however, thank my lucky stars that PSD sent you another form. Always, always maintain your copy in your possesion. DO NOT GIVE THE RECRUITER YOUR ORIGINAL! A certified copy should be sufficient and he should be a notary. Maintain your copy in a fire box or safety deposit box. It means nothing now but when you retire or you need VA benefits in later life, the DD214 is your ticket. To back up the original, take it to the county courthouse records department and have a copy notarized and placed on file. Include the copy location in your will so it can be retrieved by you or in the event of your death, a relative or official. Also, after you get out or retire, maintain copies of your service record and medical and dental records. Once again, this is for the future. 3 years ago, the Navy had a fire which destroyed some 45,000 records....lost forever. It is up to the VET to prove his medical case not the goverment. Always check six! Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.