• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo Squadrons

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotorResQ

HCS-5 and HCS-4 are Reserve/TAR squadrons but are "supposed to be" the experts on spec ops and Csar. Active HS squadrons participate in many spec ops missions but it is not thier primary mission. Hopefully with the addition of the CH-60S, the navy will realize that having specialized pilots to fly CSAR/ Spec ops missions will be the only way to properly utilize a hleo more than capable of conducting such missions.

jmac12

My buddy is a SEAL and was one of the first guys on the ground in Afghanistan in October. He said they did most of their flying in Air Force Pave Low helicopters. I'm sure the Navy has some squadrons too, but he said the Pave Lows were the state of the art for spec warfare. Hope this helps.

John

Gabe2surf

Nice Job! What made you decide to pick HS as your first choice? Whas it the mission or location or both? Also what do HS mostly do, SAR, ASW, USW, vert rep?

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Mari,
I want to know how much you love San Diego one week after you get there. North Island, right? I will tell you about all the hot spots, if you like. Have fun!

leonsparx

all right, i'll ask. how are these helicopters equipped for special ops beyond what a 'normal' aircraft? flir? quieter somehow?

RotorResQ

Mari,
Congrats on getting HS West. HS is where its at. I was on the east coast so I dont know much about how they operate out west. I have heard that they concentrate on CSAR more than we did on the east. I think its mostly because there are better mountain ranges to train in on the west coast. Get use to flying Nascar style. No matter what people say, HS' primary mission is SAR (plane guard) which means flying strabord delta for hours on end.

Leon,
I dont know much about the AF's helos but the Navy HH-60 is equiped with HIRS system (a venting system for the Exaust) which reduces its heat signature. It has Helfire capability and the same FLIR system as the F117 Stealth Fighter. It also has a missle detection system and countermeasures as well as an IR jamming system. Also additional armor plating. The SH-60F does not have any of this gear and is cluttered in the back with Sonar gear.

As far as the New CH-60S go I am not sure if they will get new systems or if they will basically be the same with the addition of cabin doors on both sides, and gunner windows so that the door gunner is not in the way of exiting troops.

Rotor

To hover is devine!

Edited by - RotorResQ on 05/12/2002 12:49:34

kahuna

ALL,
I'm still in Primary so this isn't a present concern, but when you're done in Milton, what kind of selection options do you have (for Helos)... HS, HSL, HC? how does it go when you're putting your choices down? Also... where are the RAGs for HS and HSL, JAX and SanDiego? Thanks a lot

-PAUL

kahuna

Vic,
Thanks for the site... it helped a lot. One more question though, when you make your selection is it made by community, location, or can you combine both? Like HS West then something else East... or a combination of something like that.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.